Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man rips head from Hitler wax figure in Berlin

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
A man tore the head from a controversial waxwork figure of Adolf Hitler on the opening day of Berlin's Madame Tussauds museum on Saturday, police said.

Just minutes after the museum opened, the 41-year-old German man pushed aside two security men guarding the exhibit.

"Then he went over to the figure and ripped off the head," a police spokesman said.

The man tore off the head in protest at the exhibit, the spokesman added. The police were alerted and arrested the man, who did not resist. He was being investigated for assault and damaging property.

The waxwork figure of a glum-looking Adolf Hitler in a mock bunker during the last days of his life was criticised as being in bad taste. A media preview of the new branch of Madame Tussauds on Thursday was overshadowed by a row over the exhibit.

Critics said it was inappropriate to display the Nazi dictator, who started World War Two and ordered the extermination of Europe's Jews, in a museum alongside celebrities, pop stars, world statesmen and sporting heroes.

Dressed in a grey suit, the figure of Hitler gazed downwards with a despondent stare, his arm outstretched on a large wooden table with a map of Europe on the wall of his gloomy bunker.

About 25 workers spent about four months on the waxwork, using more than 2,000 pictures and pieces of archive material and also guided by a model of the "Fuehrer" in the London branch of Madame Tussauds where it is standing upright.

It is illegal in Germany to show Nazi symbols and art glorifying Hitler and the exhibit was cordoned off to stop visitors posing with him.

Unobtrusive signs asked visitors to refrain from taking photos or posing with Hitler "out of respect for the millions of people who died during World War Two". Camera surveillance and museum officials were meant to stop inappropriate behaviour.

Institutions such as the foundation for Germany's central Holocaust memorial site condemned the idea of the exhibit as tasteless, saying it had been included to generate business.

The wax figure is the latest in a gradual breaking down of taboos about Hitler in Germany more than 60 years after the end of the war and the Holocaust in which some six million Jews were killed.

The 2004 film "Downfall" provoked controversy as it portrayed the leader in a human light during the last days of his life and last year a satire about Hitler by Swiss-born Jewish director Dani Levy was released in Germany.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
if he shat down his neck after then it would've been better!

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
He must have balls of steel ;)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think it was just a stupid idea making a Hitler 'wax figure'

I think the museum has only just opened, and it would be hard to justify an exhibition on German Historical Figures- which is where this was- without him in it.

Whatever his political position and views, he is hugely relevant in terms of world (not just German) history, and therefore I don't think it's glorifying him in any way to include it.

To not include Hitler would prompt accusations that the owners were trying to ignore Germany's past. Besides, I believe there's also a Winston Churchill in there, and it would look pretty stupid having him and no Hitler.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
its not funny. my grandad died in a concentration camp.

Whatever his political position and views, he is hugely relevant in terms of world (not just German) history, and therefore I don't think it's glorifying him in any way to include it.
Remember the OUTRAGE when Marcus Harvey's painting of Myra Hindley was displayed at the Royal Academy of Art?

... a painting that said something about Britain's history, albeit something that none of us want to think about.

I guess - from a German perspective - this is not very different.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Remember the OUTRAGE when Marcus Harvey's painting of Myra Hindley was displayed at the Royal Academy of Art?

... a painting that said something about Britain's history, albeit something that none of us want to think about.

I guess - from a German perspective - this is not very different.

Very different. Hindley has little to do with Britains History. Hitler is a LARGE part of their history, whether they like it or not. Whenever I have been to Austria and Germany I have been astonished by their reluctance to almost accept it happened.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Very different. Hindley has little to do with Britains History. Hitler is a LARGE part of their history, whether they like it or not. Whenever I have been to Austria and Germany I have been astonished by their reluctance to almost accept it happened.

True on the first part, Hitler actions changed the world, Myra Hindley's, although horrific, didn't even change Britain in any material way.

Though Giraffe: I don't think Germans or Austrians in the main are reluctant to admit it happened. They have some of the toughest anti-Nazi legislation anywhere in the world. I suspect that what you perceive as reluctance to accept it is more a deep sense of embarrassment and guilt that it did happen.

If I can draw any kind of parallel, what about the issue of slavery all those years ago? None of us were involved, but it's a pretty sensitive subject, and something which inflicted a lot of suffering on millions, on behalf of other human beings. I dare say plenty of people now would find that rather an unpleasant concept to talk about- but it doesn't mean they refuse to accept it happened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here