Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Man City work out Arsenal (and Brighton?)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Interesting article on The Times today talking about how Man City went direct to beat Arsenal. Way more often than against any other team this season.

But look who comes just behind. It appears they used a similar tactic against us. Go direct, use a big front man to ruffle some feathers, sacrifice some possession but bypass the press.

Have any other teams exploited this potential vulnerability against us this season?

View attachment 157183
I think however much you want to analyse it, it all comes down to one thing in the end, Manchester City are just that lttle bit better than anyone else.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Tomorrow would be a good day to finally beat Fulham in the Premier League.
Winning tomorrow is very important that's for sure, the likes of Fulham, ( and Brentford ), worry me, when it comes to trying to claim a European spot for next season.

Fulham are a very very good side, and we will need to be at out absolute best if we are to get the three points.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
So Pep has been the worst (or joint worst) performing manager of the season?
With that squad he's way off the likes of RDZ, Frank, Silva, Arteta, Cooper for sure. I'm not saying he's performed worse than every manager, but I'd argue that if any other manager or me or you got to pick Ederson, Rodri, Silva, De Bruyne and Haaland most weeks and fill the rest of the team up with the likes of Mahrez and Grealish, you'd be pretty disappointed if you didn't walk the league.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
With that squad he's way off the likes of RDZ, Frank, Silva, Arteta, Cooper for sure. I'm not saying he's performed worse than every manager, but I'd argue that if any other manager or me or you got to pick Ederson, Rodri, Silva, De Bruyne and Haaland most weeks and fill the rest of the team up with the likes of Mahrez and Grealish, you'd be pretty disappointed if you didn't walk the league.
You think you could manage City and win the league? I know they have great players, but football is just not that easy.

Pep is rated as a great manager, but even he's been struggling to get them to the top (and with Arsenal's game in hand, they've not scored the most points per game so far).

I am not arguing that he's been one of the best managers this season, as like you say, he does have an amazing squad to pick from, but the idea that all of the other managers could have done as well is silly.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Interesting article on The Times today talking about how Man City went direct to beat Arsenal. Way more often than against any other team this season.

But look who comes just behind. It appears they used a similar tactic against us. Go direct, use a big front man to ruffle some feathers, sacrifice some possession but bypass the press.

Have any other teams exploited this potential vulnerability against us this season?

View attachment 157183
That is very misleading. They only attempted 64 Long passes against us, the 4th fewest they attempted against any team this season.

Arsenal and Brighton are the only 2 teams in the league who dominated possession against them.

The long ball is not a vulnerability of ours, it's a tactic City use when they are under pressure.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I’d say it’s part of his genius that he makes it look easy which makes it look like anyone could do it.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022

View attachment 157183
Think Everton worked them out first tbf

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here