Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Man City v Atletico Madrid

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I watched this game and have never seen anything so defensive. 10 behind ball all game and no intention of going forward. I never watch Spanish league but is this typical as to how they approach away games or is it just Madrid. No wonder PL is so popular

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It was attritional, that's for sure.

Simeone is an absolute twàt though isn't he? His team - made of his own image - spends the entire game strangling the life out of it with two disciplined banks of 5 and a propensity to take an age over every throw in and goal kick. The Man City keeper keeps it a bit too long in the last 30 seconds and he's out waving his imaginary red card at the ref and refusing to shake Pep's hand after the game. An absolute :wanker:.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I watched this game and have never seen anything so defensive. 10 behind ball all game and no intention of going forward. I never watch Spanish league but is this typical as to how they approach away games or is it just Madrid. No wonder PL is so popular

That question is a bit like someone watching Brighton in the last days of Hughton and asking if all Prem football is like that.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Simeone's trying to get his team through a two legged tie. Ultimately, being 1-0 down is no disaster going into the home leg. His team obviously buy into his methods and he's fairly shrewd in the transfer market (with some glaring gaffes thrown in) getting in the players who suit his style. 8 trophies in 10 years despite competing against Real and Barca domestically and 2 Champions League finals is a remarkable return - he's a brilliant manager but very much an acquired taste.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
AM have spent loads, their squad has several stars, it isn’t a cinderella story.

But through his unique methods, pushing every rule to limit and zero fair play, he’s obviously a winner.

Real and Barca fans would hate the style of football though.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Atletico Madrid is well known for their defensive football. Not many top teams play that way these days - the Italians used to but changed mindset in recent years - but Atletico has been doing it for as long as Simeone has been around. They are very, very dull to watch but I sort of like that there is a variety in how teams approach football.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Altetico are awful to watch. It's not just the defensive football, it's the non-stop time-wasting, theatrics every time a player is tackled and the constant waving of imaginary cards. It's not football it's anti-football and I hope City give them a pasting in the second leg

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Atletico Madrid is well known for their defensive football. Not many top teams play that way these days - the Italians used to but changed mindset in recent years - but Atletico has been doing it for as long as Simeone has been around. They are very, very dull to watch but I sort of like that there is a variety in how teams approach football.

Agree with all of that and I actually do enjoy watching Atletico play as it is an absolute pleasure watching Joao Felix. Along with Pedri at Barca they're two of the players I get most enjoyment from watching these days.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
AM have spent loads, their squad has several stars, it isn’t a cinderella story.

They certainly punched well above their weight in the early Simeone years and have earnt the right to shop at the top table. They have been nowhere near the levels of Barca and Real net spending over the last five years.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A joy to watch Atletico particularly their attempts to wind up Grealish to get him red carded. Just a shame that the City management team step in during the game and at the final whistle to ensure Grealish didn't get involved with the Atletico players.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Robbie Fowler said, a few weeks ago: "He doesn’t fit with anyone who loves football, he essentially exists to stop opponents playing football. Which no one should welcome."

In response to Neville saying Simeone could / should be the next United manager.

I don't put much stock in what Robbie Fowler says generally but he's right on the money there.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Is it my imagination but wasn't it Athletico that played some fantastic football a few years ago ? Remember everybody raving about their great attitude and flowing football . May have got the totally wrong team though :lol:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
A joy to watch Atletico particularly their attempts to wind up Grealish to get him red carded. Just a shame that the City management team step in during the game and at the final whistle to ensure Grealish didn't get involved with the Atletico players.

Firstly, full respect for correctly referring to them as Atletico. Unlike the commentators.

I think Pep was clever in not starting Grealish, for that very reason. I was surprised he came on but it might have been in order to highlight to Grealish why this tie is one for him to sit out. I can't imagine he'll play any part in the second leg because the atmosphere at the ground will be more hostile even than the time he was punched by a Birmingham fan. The referee will need to have shoulders wider than the Thames to deal with the blatant gamesmanship that will go in at their place. I'm thoroughly looking forward to the game.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If there was a manager in Scotland who could get Hearts or Aberdeen to compete with Rangers or Celtic he would be highly regarded.

Similar story in Spain in trying to compete with the big two and the cash rich clubs in the Champions league.

I suspect he changes tactics when up against other teams in his league. Tremendous record if you look at it that way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here