Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Man City v Arsenal called off due to Corona Virus.....

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
So, I'm guessing the Arsenal players were tested yesterday/today for Covid-19.
Results aren't known for 2 days?
So, we'll hear more about our game on Thursday Night/Friday Morning.

Last edited:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I’ve just posted on the other thread but can someone please explain how Olympiakos can still be playing Wolves tomorrow night?

This is getting ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So, I'm guessing the Arsenal players were tested yesterday/today for Covid-19.
Results aren't known for 2 days?
So, we'll here more about our game on Thursday Night/Friday Morning.

Something I read yesterday suggested our known cases lags by 10 days - c6 days for virus incubation/symptoms to show and then 4 days for test results to come back.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
So it will just take one positive test amongst arsenal's players or staff and our game will be off

And West Ham's game (if it's a player), because their players would have been in contact with an infected player.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Club website saying game is still on

Arsenal’s match at Manchester City, due to take place at the Etihad Stadium tonight, has been postponed after a number of Gunners players have self isolated as a precaution with regard to the coronavirus.

The risk is considered extremely low and Saturday’s match remains scheduled to go ahead with the self-isolation period for those players ending tomorrow, as we continue to follow government and medical advice with regard to the coronavirus.

Those players, and a small number of staff, took the measure as they met with Olympiakos owner Evangelos Marinakis on Thursday 27th February at the Europa League tie between the clubs at the Emirates. Mr Marinakis confirmed yesterday he has tested positive for the virus.

Arsenal have confirmed none of the staff or players are showing any symptoms of the virus, and a statement from the club confirmed: “The medical advice we have received puts the risk of them developing Covid-19 at extremely low.

“However, we are strictly following the government guidelines which recommend that anyone coming into close contact with someone with the virus should self-isolate at home for 14 days from the last time they had contact.

“The players will remain at their homes until the 14-day period expires. Four Arsenal staff — who were sitting close to Mr Marinakis during the match — will also remain at home until the 14 days are complete.”

That period concludes tomorrow, and Arsenal’s statement concluded, “Everyone at Arsenal Football Club wishes Mr Marinakis a swift recovery and we look forward to the players and staff returning to work on Friday in preparation for our match at Brighton.”

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Then the league still have the problem of those teams in the play offs who quite rightly would also feel aggrieved that a big opportunity for promotion has been denied.

which league? remember Premier League and Football League are two separate entities.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Club website saying game is still on

Arsenal’s match at Manchester City, due to take place at the Etihad Stadium tonight, has been postponed after a number of Gunners players have self isolated as a precaution with regard to the coronavirus.

The risk is considered extremely low and Saturday’s match remains scheduled to go ahead with the self-isolation period for those players ending tomorrow, as we continue to follow government and medical advice with regard to the coronavirus.

Those players, and a small number of staff, took the measure as they met with Olympiakos owner Evangelos Marinakis on Thursday 27th February at the Europa League tie between the clubs at the Emirates. Mr Marinakis confirmed yesterday he has tested positive for the virus.

Arsenal have confirmed none of the staff or players are showing any symptoms of the virus, and a statement from the club confirmed: “The medical advice we have received puts the risk of them developing Covid-19 at extremely low.

“However, we are strictly following the government guidelines which recommend that anyone coming into close contact with someone with the virus should self-isolate at home for 14 days from the last time they had contact.

“The players will remain at their homes until the 14-day period expires. Four Arsenal staff — who were sitting close to Mr Marinakis during the match — will also remain at home until the 14 days are complete.”

That period concludes tomorrow, and Arsenal’s statement concluded, “Everyone at Arsenal Football Club wishes Mr Marinakis a swift recovery and we look forward to the players and staff returning to work on Friday in preparation for our match at Brighton.”

They haven't self isolated for 14 days though have they? They played Portsmouth and West Ham in that period with a full squad.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Well being that they played West Ham last Saturday none of there important players seemed to be missing so there will be no advantage of players not training for 2 weeks

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
They haven't self isolated for 14 days though have they? They played Portsmouth and West Ham in that period with a full squad.

Exactly. So it just needs one player or member of staff to test positive and West Ham and Portsmouth will have to self isolate.

See where this is all going?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
But Marinakis only announced he tested positive yesterday. How have they been self-isolating since they met him? They didn't know at that point.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Because at that time the carrier didn't know he was infected.

Nadine Dorries (Health minister) IS infected and she has been in contact with the PM - so why isn't he self-isolating?

Back on track, reports on BBC say "several" Arsenal players are self-isolating. That would still leave them 22 players from their 25 player squad. So what's the problem?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Government burying their heads in the sand

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Someone else on one of these threads suggested not relegating anyone, but promoting Leeds and WBA, just having a slightly larger PL next year. I suppose we'd have to let Liverpool have their champions trophy. It'll be impossible to please everyone, someone's going to lose out and not be happy, let's hope people can just be philosophical about it and take any disappointment on the chin.

:mad: This is football you're talking about here. :shrug:

:lolol:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Nadine Dorries (Health minister) IS infected and she has been in contact with the PM - so why isn't he self-isolating?

Back on track, reports on BBC say "several" Arsenal players are self-isolating. That would still leave them 22 players from their 25 player squad. So what's the problem?

Is several definitely three then?

el punal

Bin off the season now, we stay up and Liverpool forfeit the title. Perfect.

You could well be right. This ‘playing behind closed doors’ policy is all very well to protect fans and match day staff but when players are affected the footballing authorities will just have to cancel fixtures - ergo, the end of the 2019/20 season. I really can’t see an alternative. I must admit there will be a lot of very relieved and very disappointed clubs and supporters up and down the country should it happen.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What is the possibility of Just the Brighton v Arsenal game being posponed.

Bournemouth & West Ham could well win their games on Saturday & go above us.

Then next week a decision is made to postpone/ cancel all games. How can it be fair to then play your game in hand against a mid table team with nothing to play for.

Used to happen in the old days. Fans of a certain vintage will remember Palace pipping us to the Division 2 (Championship) title by winning their game in hand against Burnley after all the other teams had completed their matches. Our players were on a flight to the US for a post-season holiday when they heard the result!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here