Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man City fans

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Tiresome, judge like for like, judge Brighton against other clubs on the same way that all clubs disclose attendances, why should BHA be at a disadvantage, to inflate your wish to knock the support? Now how about you name the clubs who would match the Albion's support for a Championship relegation battle. Name them, its not bad company, and palace certainly are not on the list.

Don't call me tiresome, I stated one fact, which disproved your previous comment. And one opinion/question to which you haven't responded.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Don't call me tiresome, I stated one fact, which disproved your previous comment. And one opinion/question to which you haven't responded.

He won't respond because he can't - rather just bang ON AND ON AND ****ING ON about the same two or three points. I'm beginning to wonder if he isn't just a machine that's stuck in an infinite loop...or stuck in the past, either one.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I'm guessing WCP has a VERY small penis

Excuse me, his family has always had big penises. Ok, when it got cold in the 90s they shrunk but in that small lump there was always a huge one trying to get out. There is nowt wrong with a Working Class Penis. I remember taking the Working Class Penis up the Arsenal in the 80s. Our end was packed.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Again you wont recognise the fans went in the early 80's when everyone's did (Arsenal down to 20odd thousand). But unlike Arsenal, or palace, Brighton had no success, did have crumbling terraces, did have serial decline, did have lower league football and did end up losing the goldstone. You also will struggle to find a lower league club with Brighton's support over the years, especially one with Brighton's lack of success. Compare like with like and as I say, make the list of clubs who can command 30,000 for a championship relegation scrap. Not bad company is it?
Spot on. Sussex as a county is extremely proud and supportive of its football club and has been for over 100 years. We are in an unusual position to be so unrivalled in terms of land area and population and it shows in the numbers who have allegiance to the Albion and either regularly or occasionally attend matches.

It is impossible, and stupid, to try and make valid comparisons with other time periods. The extent of crowd decline nationally in the 1980s makes that era particularly misleading. Palace AVERAGED 6,446 for what was a Championship season with visits to Selhurst from the likes of Leeds and Sunderland (+ Brighton, Pompey and Millwall). Just the away fans would be close to that figure for some of those games nowadays given easy ticket supply.

The main thing that matters is the future and it is extremely rosy for us. We can look forward to big crowds of Sussex people getting behind the Albion at The Amex for years to come. Over time, especially with a bit of success, the percentage of truly loyal fans will grow and that will be even better...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I'm not sure the point about Brighton losing a generation of fans to Archer and Bellotti really needs a response. Just be grateful that those times are in the past.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Norwich - now there's a set of loyal fans. Don't know why they don't expand Carrow Road, they usually seem to sell out, and when they announce a full house it actually DOES look full on the box, unlike the Amex.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Norwich - now there's a set of loyal fans. Don't know why they don't expand Carrow Road, they usually seem to sell out, and when they announce a full house it actually DOES look full on the box, unlike the Amex.
FFS. How the **** can you use a comparison with Norwich as a stick with which to beat the Albion and our fans...??!!!

Try swapping our last 30 years for theirs and then comment on the relative "loyalty" of fans.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Like the 16,000 who turned up to the Wigan game
Yes, you ****ing moron. 16,000 is a big crowd of Sussex people turning up for Wigan on a wet night in November to support an Albion team that has been struggling for months.

The crowd on Saturday for a moderately appealing fixture will be around 30,000.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've fixed your Albion link:
For fans of statistics, this website is excellent, it has been posted on here before but some may not have seen it.
WCP may not like it but Citeh fans have been very loyal whichever division they were in.
Brighton: http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/bha.htm
Citeh: http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/manc.htm
Palace: http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/cryp.htm

Look at our gates in the 7 seasons from 1986 to 1992 - we were in the second division for 6 of them. Not one average gate above 9,048.

That was a time when hooliganism was on it's way out and the East wasn't yet closed although it was beginning to crumble in parts. So those are utterly shìt gates although I'm sure we'll get loads of excuses and half truths explaining that away from our tiresome village idiot. Incidentally, Palace's gates are broadly similar over the same period - a lower lowest average, but higher highest average.

Yes, you ****ing moron. 16,000 is a big crowd of Sussex people turning up for Wigan on a wet night in November to support an Albion team that has been struggling for months.

The crowd on Saturday for a moderately appealing fixture will be around 30,000.
Apart from that one comment, nobody here is arguing that our current level of support is anything but superb. It's not even all that quiet compared to an awful lot of stadiums.

This thread seems to be all about numbers. So here's some more.

Lancashire, including Greater Manchester and Merseyside, has 15 football clubs playing in the top four tiers. That's one club for every 369,000 people. Sussex has two clubs, one for every 805,000 people.

All other things being equal, you would therefore expect crowds in Sussex to be more than twice the size of crowds in Lancashire.

You have not been charged for this information - which adds absolutely nothing to an already pointless debate.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
FFS. How the **** can you use a comparison with Norwich as a stick with which to beat the Albion and our fans...??!!!

Try swapping our last 30 years for theirs and then comment on the relative "loyalty" of fans.
Without using Norwich fans as a stick to beat ours with, I'd say he was spot on. Norwich must have the most loyal fans in the country - certainly more loyal than teams like Celtic, Rangers, Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds and some other northern teams with supposed fervent support. All of those teams have seen support PLUMMET in the past 30 years whenever they've had to put up with more than 2 or 3 seasons in the doldrums.

Compare and contrast with Carrow Road, which holds 26,500 and has been full pretty much every game since BEFORE they got relegated to league one. They then sold 24,000 season tickets for league one! Even in the 80s when we competed on a similar footing with them, and gates were far lower than now, their gates were always excellent - even during relegation seasons. Great support, pretty much every single season.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Without using Norwich fans as a stick to beat ours with, I'd say he was spot on. Norwich must have the most loyal fans in the country - certainly more loyal than teams like Celtic, Rangers, Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds and some other northern teams with supposed fervent support. All of those teams have seen support PLUMMET in the past 30 years whenever they've had to put up with more than 2 or 3 seasons in the doldrums.

Compare and contrast with Carrow Road, which holds 26,500 and has been full pretty much every game since BEFORE they got relegated to league one. They then sold 24,000 season tickets for league one! Even in the 80s when we competed on a similar footing with them, and gates were far lower than now, their gates were always excellent - even during relegation seasons. Great support, pretty much every single season.
Norwich as a club has a lot in common with BHAFC. Tiny point of difference being that while we were getting relegated to the 4th division and losing our ground they were getting three promotions to the top flight, finishing 3rd in the Premier League, winning the League Cup and playing in Europe...

In recent times they have achieved high STH numbers (and "attendances") by selling them cheaply.

It is a different type of loyalty.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Absolutely. How many minimum wage hours would one have to work to meet the ticket price. Five?

Well, it costs me £ 23.91 a match and that includes my travel that would be £6.00. So about 18 quid a game. I make that about 3 times the minimum wage but of course that's all relevant to your income really. How much were you paying when you first starting going is the next question ?

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004
Run along and take your green eyed monster with you, I know its a nightmare for you that Brighton get bigger gates when a division below, and in a relegation scrap than you can cobble together in the top flight, never mind the championship

:smile: brilliant mate. Keep up the good work

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004
Yes that was a bad year, but even then the club had been in decline for what 9 years, and crowds of course were already down in that period. Around that time palace finished 3rd in the top flight and were getting 14000. Im sorry you find it tiresome

see attached especially 1991. Average just under 20K. If we had got crowds of 14K the other matches must have had mega crowds (just doing the maths !!)

Attachments

• Attend261114.pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 36

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here