Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Malta’s Eurovision Entry 2021

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
That's a myth. Ireland averages less than 5 points to us on average.

Malta are our best friends historically, even after Dom Mintoff chucked us out. [MENTION=13309]maltaseagull[/MENTION] will explain that one.

Gladly:

Historically Malta has split allegiance between Italy and Britain.

Up to WW2 there was even a political party that favoured becoming part of Italy. That changed a bit after the war!

Even Mintoff wanted to be a part of the UK but when that was declined, he became very anti.

Even now though, you can still probably split the country nearly 50/50 between favouring Italy or Britain (Apart from the 100,000 EU and non EU migrants arrived in the last couple of decades)
It's weird to see carcades after Euro /World cup wins for either country.
I have been to see a Malta V England world cup qualifier and was amazed to see Maltese in the England end cheering for them. Apparently there are Maltese fans who sing the Italian anthem when there is a match against them.

Maltese absolutely love Eurovision and loyalties still exist. Almost every bar and restaurant has it on and there are loads of organised parties to watch it.
We stay in :)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
wow, no idea about the song, but the shirtless guy has my vote, given the huge gay following Eurovision has, if he is on stage they are in with a shout!

That was my thought. They know the core audience here.

That said, they should never show contempt for Euro queens. If they think a shirtless hunk is going to do the trick they should think again. A bit like when the Tories play up an LGBT candidate in Brighton Kemptown at an election. Folk want substance.

Of the two I've seen here I thought the Israeli one was better. Looking forward to seeing the others. Nice to have a bit of Eurovision distraction at the moment.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Female , black and larger build certainly will help with ticking some boxes

Not sure that songs for me though

Eurovision has long embraced the diversity thing. The key is producing a song that runs with the current tide.

I'm not keen on that one. But then I'm still the sort of person who is still smarting over Belle & the Devotions failing in 1984. So ignore me.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Gladly:

Historically Malta has split allegiance between Italy and Britain.

Up to WW2 there was even a political party that favoured becoming part of Italy. That changed a bit after the war!

Even Mintoff wanted to be a part of the UK but when that was declined, he became very anti.

Even now though, you can still probably split the country nearly 50/50 between favouring Italy or Britain (Apart from the 100,000 EU and non EU migrants arrived in the last couple of decades)
It's weird to see carcades after Euro /World cup wins for either country.
I have been to see a Malta V England world cup qualifier and was amazed to see Maltese in the England end cheering for them. Apparently there are Maltese fans who sing the Italian anthem when there is a match against them.

Maltese absolutely love Eurovision and loyalties still exist. Almost every bar and restaurant has it on and there are loads of organised parties to watch it.

My late Dad always spoke glowingly of Malta. He was based there for long periods in the navy. I visited in 1990.

I found that there is a lot of anti-Italian sentiment, so I didn't know there was another side of that divide. I'm guessing (only guessing) that maybe the younger generation are less hostile. I remember being taken round by a hilarious guide. He was a splendid animated chap, as camp as Christmas and full of charm. Until someone tried to join the back at one of his presentations. He shouted at them and ushered them away. 'GERMANS !' he said to me with disdain.

I was told that the Italians turn up in August. That's their time of year.

The UK owes a HUGE debt to the folk of Malta and it should never be forgotten. When my Dad died I passed a lot of his stuff on to the Maltese family of a young lady at work. She was half Maltese, often spoke of the island, and was applying for a passport after the BREXIT debacle. There was loads of memorabilia including old letters. They were so grateful. I said it's the least we could do. I hold that island in such esteem.

Hope to visit again soon, especially as it is a good place for CRICKET !

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I haven't seen any odds but, if I were a betting man, I'd be predicting an Iceland win this year. They'd have won comfortably last year, they're sending the same act (as are a lot of countries, UK included) again this year and I think they'll get it.

As for why the UK doesn't do well anymore, there is a political element but it's more than that. I watched the final of Melodifestivalen (the Swedish selection show) a couple of weeks ago and it emphasised the difference between their attitude to the contest and ours.

Theirs is a weeks-long process involving multiple public votes and a final which is basically a mini-Eurovision with international juries involved as well as the public vote so that, in theory, they get a song with appeal across Europe. It also attracts artists who are generally fairly well known in Sweden already whereas established pop acts over here wouldn't touch Eurovision with a bargepole these days and so our selection show (when we have one) is a load of non-entities singing songs that you've forgotten as soon as they finish.

If the BBC was serious about changing our fortunes, the Swedish model, and the consistent recent success it has brought them, would be the way to go IMO.

This is the UK entry this year by the way, not that it's been all that well publicised:

https://youtu.be/BMDGTsa_Qq0

That song is going nowhere.

Why did Nikki French do so badly all those years ago ? I really did play that song again. A lot.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
My late Dad always spoke glowingly of Malta. He was based there for long periods in the navy. I visited in 1990.

I found that there is a lot of anti-Italian sentiment, so I didn't know there was another side of that divide. I'm guessing (only guessing) that maybe the younger generation are less hostile. I remember being taken round by a hilarious guide. He was a splendid animated chap, as camp as Christmas and full of charm. Until someone tried to join the back at one of his presentations. He shouted at them and ushered them away. 'GERMANS !' he said to me with disdain.

I was told that the Italians turn up in August. That's their time of year.

The UK owes a HUGE debt to the folk of Malta and it should never be forgotten. When my Dad died I passed a lot of his stuff on to the Maltese family of a young lady at work. She was half Maltese, often spoke of the island, and was applying for a passport after the BREXIT debacle. There was loads of memorabilia including old letters. They were so grateful. I said it's the least we could do. I hold that island in such esteem.

Hope to visit again soon, especially as it is a good place for CRICKET !

These days the divide is mostly football based although I suspect that the more recent generations choose the club based on their parent's /grandparent's affiliation.

Massive number of Man U and Liverpool fans but more recently Man City (They love the winners!)
Also Juve /AC Milan and a few Roma / Inter etc.
Because they love winners, Barca are becoming more popular too.

I know they play cricket here but didn't think it was that popular. I have been to the Marsa sports ground to watch a Rugby game and been able to see Athletics, Golf, Softball and Cricket from my seat.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Would love to watch it all unfold in the Sporting Clive Bar.

april-5-2004-sporting-clive-sports-bar-in-the-maltese-capital-of-valletta-BGDYM8.jpg

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
These days the divide is mostly football based although I suspect that the more recent generations choose the club based on their parent's /grandparent's affiliation.

Massive number of Man U and Liverpool fans but more recently Man City (They love the winners!)
Also Juve /AC Milan and a few Roma / Inter etc.
Because they love winners, Barca are becoming more popular too.

I know they play cricket here but didn't think it was that popular. I have been to the Marsa sports ground to watch a Rugby game and been able to see Athletics, Golf, Softball and Cricket from my seat.

Malta is a popular touring destination for cricket clubs here. Marsa is a great place to head to for bat 'n' ball in October.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sure, there is some "nepotism" in the voting. Balkan states voting for eachother, ex-Soviet states doing it, Nordic countries... and you and Ireland hugging in despair..

But if it was the only thing mattering, the same countries would win every year which is not the case.

Either way... its all shite. Eurovision music is shite.

Shite most certainly, but good fun as long as you don't take it seriously. Was always worth watching if only for Terry Wogan's ascerbic remarks about our European friends and the voting shambles.

Glad to say that Graham Norton has carried on in the same way as the late Sir Terry.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Shite most certainly, but good fun as long as you don't take it seriously. Was always worth watching if only for Terry Wogan's ascerbic remarks about our European friends and the voting shambles.

Glad to say that Graham Norton has carried on in the same way as the late Sir Terry.

I think Norton has taken it to a new level :lolol:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The only way this will ever be a true talent contest is when the voting is "blind" [never gonna happen].

Anyways, I thought Brexit meant Brexit - such that we can stop having to pay for and be involved [usually as the laughing stock] of this façade

If I had thought Brexit would mean the end of the Eurovision Song Contest for us, I might even have voted for it.

But on second thoughts, no. I'll just not watch it.

I still think Puppet on a String with Sandie Shaw is the best song ever to win it.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Do they play local teams?

There are a small number of local teams from what I gather. I think tournaments get organised involving touring sides.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
The only way this will ever be a true talent contest is when the voting is "blind" [never gonna happen].

Anyways, I thought Brexit meant Brexit - such that we can stop having to pay for and be involved [usually as the laughing stock] of this façade

You do realise we were part of Eurovision before we joined the EEC? or are you going to claim post-irony? :facepalm:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
That pathetic attempt of ours "embers" is possibly the worst I've heard in the last 15 years.

If we don't come bottom or close, I'll be amazed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here