Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Malt vinegar on brussel sprouts

55353373.jpg

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
THIS.

Boiling them and hurling vinegar over them my arse.

I misread that sentence so badly, all is now fine, nothing to see .... move along.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
I'm an old git and I remember (and still love) pouring the vinegar on cabbage and sprouts. My kids, and their kids think this is revolting.
Do you like the combo and what else 'odd' rattles your cage foodwise?

Yes I do that and my kids and wife think its revolting too ....which is rich coming from them when they put strawberry jam on meat , must be older than I thought

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
My ex was from Bolton. They had a habit of eating black peas doused in vinegar and consumed from a polystyrene cup with a toothpick on bonfire night. But then the also have dinner for lunch and tea for dinner so pay no mind.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
For generations, cooking sprouts involved at least an hour's furious boiling. The most important part of the whole process was to top up the pan with hot water from the kettle, when the pan ran dry.

Ah, I remember that smell well. I'm surprised modern chef's have not reintroduced the idea of broiled and charred Sprouts.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
My Stepdad likes to boil veg til they are smoosh. He also believes he is a terrific cook, during any meal he cooks he will regularly ask you "how is it, what do you think of..." Whilst explaining how he cooked everything which ALWAYS leads to lecture about supermarket pricing structures. A dear, dear man but he is rarely allowed to cook when any of us visit him.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
My ex was from Bolton. They had a habit of eating black peas doused in vinegar and consumed from a polystyrene cup with a toothpick on bonfire night. But then the also have dinner for lunch and tea for dinner so pay no mind.

My Mrs is from Manchester & also has these things in the same way. It's just plain wrong.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I do love a pickle though. I like a pickled egg that upon first bite literally makes your breath stop and feels like chemical warfare has started. I'm popping round to the chippy to get one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My mother used to put vinegar on sprouts and greens when dad wasnt looking because he said it was wrong and then colemans made up mustard on everything including cheese sandwiches.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I do love a pickle though. I like a pickled egg that upon first bite literally makes your breath stop and feels like chemical warfare has started. I'm popping round to the chippy to get one.

I don't trust pickled eggs from the chippy. I swear the jar on the shelf in our chippy contains the self same eggs for about the past eleven years.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't trust pickled eggs from the chippy. I swear the jar on the shelf in our chippy contains the self same eggs for about the past eleven years.

Mine too. Yum.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm VERY particular with my sprouts, to the extent that I inisist on cooking them myself. Having been peeled and crossed, I drop them into a pan of boiling water with a dash of salt for 13 minutes. This ensures they are soft but firm. Once they are drained and delivered to the Sunday dinnerplate, all I will have them with is gravy - I will not have them molested by vinegar.

I don't "mix" them with anything else on my fork either. I like to savour them on their own.

According to the chefs on the TV it is an old wives tale about cutting a cross in the base and makes no difference whatsoever, Having said that I do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here