Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Don't know, but DO NOT TAKE LARIUM, they screw you up. :down: :sick:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think it will vary depending on the type and how long you need to take them. Ours for South Africa were approx £25 per person for a 7-day course. But I have heard people taking them for weeks on end, and costing upwards of £50pp too.

Last edited:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
The ones I had where £1 per tab, you had to take them daily! Expensive but give you 95% pertection and no side effects. You may also get some from your doctor (some dont't some do) cheaper but there weekly but give you mental dreams and halousinisations (how do you spell that?) and stop some people sleeping. Worth just asking your doctor. Strange but I found asda cheapest for the daily ones.
:cool:

Where you going? Croydon?

Last edited:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Titanic said:
I think it will vary depending on the type and how long you need to take them. Ours for South Africa were approx £25 per person for a 7-day course. But I have heard people taking them for weeks on end, and costing upwards of £50pp too.

I had to take them for a month, and they cost me roughly £90- £120 went to central africa twice, But they were excellent and worth it!

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Titanic said:

I had to take them for a month, and they cost me roughly £90- £120 went to central africa twice, But they were excellent and worth it!

edit: Larium! there the ones that have wierd side effects.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
depends where you are going to. different trips need different drugs. the tetracyclenes (sp?) are good, larium can screw up your mind!

cost is about £25 for a trip

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I got mine on the NHS with my jabs when I went to work in India. You HAVE to have eaten before you take them or you'll throw up and they give you the weirdest f-in dreams ever. I know 3 people who have been working long term in South India and they all stopped taking theirs after a short-ish period.

And Superphil is right about LARIUM. I'd seriously rather get malaria than take them.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I took Chloroquin and Paludrine I believe. Not that expensice, but you have to start them something like two weeks before your trip and for a week afterwards.

Nasty tasting, but seemed to do the trick.

If you have any history of epilepsy in the family, then do NOT take larium. The best defence but as Superphil and others have said, have the tendency to mess you up.

A few people on my trip had to swap their medication due to strange behaviour and nightmares.

Last edited:

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"
3 travel packs of Chloroquin (2 pills each week) and Paludrine (2 pills daily) for 2 & a bit months cost me £56 in September.

Had to take them 1 week before travel & for 1 month after.

No side effects for me.

Last edited:

sunshine

May 31, 2006
Essex
I am going to Goa on the 30th dec... so i need to start taking them pretty soon then?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I didn't take malaria pills when I went to Goa, Sunshine, so you might be OK

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Oh yeah...ignore that.:dunce:

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
If your Doctors offers travel advice take them up on the offer. I am going to see the Nurse at my Drs on Thursday to check all my jabs and also give me a prescription for Malaria tablets as going to Kenya (I think you need a precription to get Malarone). You also need Yellow fever for Kenya!

We had the cheap ones for India, which was acombination of one lot once a week, the others daily, which you can buy at any Pharmacy, but these dont work in Kenya. Last time we went to Kenay we had Malarone which you take 2 days before going and 1 week after getting back.

A good site is

http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/malaria.htm

Also look at these pages as tells you what other jabs you will need

http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/asia.htm#1stb

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Getting back to your questions we purchased the Paludrine and Avloclor Antimalarial Tablets Travel Pack when we went to India and that cost about £15 and enough tablets to cover 7 weeks.

sunshine

May 31, 2006
Essex
Thanks. I spoke to the chemist earlier and she said that i need a combined pack, not sure whta they are called but they cost £15. I've had my injections already.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Malarone's the one.I think daily for a coupla days before you go,one a day whilst there,then one a day for a week when you get back.Obviously cost depends on how long you go for,but its a private prescription,and allegedly cheaper at ASDA,though I haven't searched the www yet.My week in the Gambia will cost me £54.Shoulda gone to Scotland..............oh,hang on.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
it depends how long you take them for and what brand you get. Having worked in a pharmacy I can recommend malarone (I think that how you spell it!) they will cost around £45 per person for a 2/3 week course I think. Hope that helps

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here