Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Make this make sense

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I messed up when I pre-registered for the EL aways, I thought I’d registered for Ajax & Athens but it turned out that I’d only registered for Ajax. Panic.
I called the club and basically begged, the upshot being that they said if I’d booked flights before 25th Sep registration deadline then to send them proof and they would accept I’d made a mistake and would register me. Phew!
So I sent the proof over.
I’m tier 2, about 20 points below tier 1.
I then received an email explaining that I had now been registered to buy for Athens but in tier 3 as I had not registered in time. WTF?
I called the club and asked what was the point of this? They couldn’t give me an answer, it was the adult equivalent of “because I said so”.
I’m trying for the life of me to understand what putting me down a tier achieves. I’m not near the bottom of tier 2 so had I registered properly I’d have been tier 2 anyway and I doubt my single registration would have messed up the tiering. They may have well just said sorry you messed up so you can’t register for all the use tier 3 is.
This feels like bureaucracy for the sake of it. However I realise this is personal to me and I accept I messed up the admin, so NSC am I wrong with being slightly miffed by this or can anyone think of a valid reason why this ‘punishment’ makes sense?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
For two people who missed the registration deadline for Ajax, I know the club put them in tier 2 so they were able to attempt to buy tickets during the Monday morning 9am bunfight. Both people would have been in tier 1 had they not messed up.

As you would have been in tier 2 and the club have allowed you to join tier 3, my theory is that their policy here is to not push people to the back of the queue who missed pre-registration, but rather allow them to join one tier back from where they would have been ordinarily.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
For two people who missed the registration deadline for Ajax, I know the club put them in tier 2 so they were able to attempt to buy tickets during the Monday morning 9am bunfight. Both people would have been in tier 1 had they not messed up.

As you would have been in tier 2 and the club have allowed you to join tier 3, my theory is that their policy here is to not push people to the back of the queue who missed pre-registration, but rather allow them to join one tier back from where they would have been ordinarily.
Thanks for replying.
That is certainly the process, but my question is why? What’s the point?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I messed up when I pre-registered for the EL aways, I thought I’d registered for Ajax & Athens but it turned out that I’d only registered for Ajax. Panic.
I called the club and basically begged, the upshot being that they said if I’d booked flights before 25th Sep registration deadline then to send them proof and they would accept I’d made a mistake and would register me. Phew!
So I sent the proof over.
I’m tier 2, about 20 points below tier 1.
I then received an email explaining that I had now been registered to buy for Athens but in tier 3 as I had not registered in time. WTF?
I called the club and asked what was the point of this? They couldn’t give me an answer, it was the adult equivalent of “because I said so”.
I’m trying for the life of me to understand what putting me down a tier achieves. I’m not near the bottom of tier 2 so had I registered properly I’d have been tier 2 anyway and I doubt my single registration would have messed up the tiering. They may have well just said sorry you messed up so you can’t register for all the use tier 3 is.
This feels like bureaucracy for the sake of it. However I realise this is personal to me and I accept I messed up the admin, so NSC am I wrong with being slightly miffed by this or can anyone think of a valid reason why this ‘punishment’ makes sense?
Sounds about right, only surprise being they didn't give you a flat no to start with.

It is the price of success it seems

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Thanks for replying.
That is certainly the process, but my question is why? What’s the point?

My own opinion is that it is good of the club to do anything at all for people who missed the deadline, although I appreciate that won’t be popular given your circumstances.

Certainly it works as a solution for people who would have been in tier 1 and therefore end up being in tier 2. But I accept it is far more damaging to be moved from tier 2 to tier 3.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
My own opinion is that it is good of the club to do anything at all for people who missed the deadline, although I appreciate that won’t be popular given your circumstances.

Certainly it works as a solution for people who would have been in tier 1 and therefore end up being in tier 2. But I accept it is far more damaging to be moved from tier 2 to tier 3.
I didn’t miss the deadline, I’d already booked my flights!! I thought I’d checked out both matches but somehow fecked up the Athens one. My bad, I get that. What I don’t get is what difference it makes if I’m still in tier 2? Tier 2 is a bucket, there is no priority if you’re on 270 points or 240. So I wouldn’t be ‘jumping the queue’.
It’s feels like a slap on the wrist for the sake of it.
Weirdly I’d be able to understand a flat “no” more than I can this.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I didn’t miss the deadline, I’d already booked my flights!! I thought I’d checked out both matches but somehow fecked up the Athens one. My bad, I get that. What I don’t get is what difference it makes if I’m still in tier 2? Tier 2 is a bucket, there is no priority if you’re on 270 points or 240. So I wouldn’t be ‘jumping the queue’.
But you did miss the deadline, you didn’t register?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
But you did miss the deadline, you didn’t register?
I clicked the wrong f***ing button mate, I didn’t forget to do it!! It didn’t work and I didn’t realise it hadn’t until too late. Ajax did work and I guess I didn’t read the checkout confirmation properly. My mistake, I accept that.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I suppose it’s just to incentivise people to follow the correct procedures and to make doubly sure that they’ve done so. It’s harsh but probably effective. If it became widely known and expected that it didn’t matter if you missed the deadline or made an error, you just call up and get it put right, maybe people wouldn’t be quite so careful. As I say, harsh on those making a genuine error — but the club rely on accurate registration figure to set points levels so they want to encourage people to make sure they’re registered.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

My take is that it is the club genuinely trying to offer some of sort of compromise to people who have missed the registration deadline.

I don’t think it’s really a slap on the wrist, as it is providing you a theoretical opportunity than their original communications said wouldn’t be possible, i.e. if you want to attend, you MUST pre-register.

IMO, it’s a bit of a rock and hard place for the club. If they stick to the letter of what they said, people would have a go for them being too robotic and not having any flexibility. If they try and offer some sort of compromise, it inevitably won’t work for everyone.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah, that’s what I meant in my post. The club has offered *something* by way of compromise for people who missed the registration deadline, but it obviously works better in some cases than others.
Tricky one I guess……will upset people either way.……interested to see how this sells tomorrow given the no. of t1s that registered but didn’t buy.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I clicked the wrong f***ing button mate, I didn’t forget to do it!! It didn’t work and I didn’t realise it hadn’t until too late. Ajax did work and I guess I didn’t read the checkout confirmation properly. My mistake, I accept that.
Easily done (bloody nightmare at the moment with tickets, registration, flights, hotels, parking for various home and away games that aren’t ’normal’)…..but can see why they are giving priority to those that followed the instructions…..

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Next time, I bet you will make sure you click the right button, and will make sure you read the confirmation properly.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
My take is that it is the club genuinely trying to offer some of sort of compromise to people who have missed the registration deadline.

I don’t think it’s really a slap on the wrist, as it is providing you a theoretical opportunity than their original communications said wouldn’t be possible, i.e. if you want to attend, you MUST pre-register.

IMO, it’s a bit of a rock and hard place for the club. If they stick to the letter of what they said, people would have a go for them being too robotic and not having any flexibility. If they try and offer some sort of compromise, it inevitably won’t work for everyone.
Marseille away went to general sale, to STH and Albion+ that had not pre-registered. So they can change their rules when it suits them for revenue……
I believe that they are making this up as they go, which is actually understandable.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Marseille away went to general sale, to STH and Albion+ that had not pre-registered. So they can change their rules when it suits them for revenue……
I believe that they are making this up as they go, which is actually understandable.
Not really changing rules though, just reacting to basically what was completely unknown demand…….as you say understandable given we’ve never done this before. Sure the process will be tweaked for future fixtures (if and when)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here