Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Make Normality Normal Again - Straight Pride

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Blimey. Gay pride, straight pride....whatever next? Allowing wimmin to vote and have equal pay? Landing on the moon?
I blame everything on everybody else, in other words I don't really care for or have time for some backward thinking group Can't we just have a thread ridiculing people who think that aliens abducted Freddie Starrs hamster or something?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So when you posted, "It's 2019. Nobody cares anymore" you were just posting bollocks, then. Either people are accepting different sexualities now, or they're not - make up your mind!

I don't think you got the intended parody.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
By the same token, thousands more straight people are attacked. Society is just messed up. People get attacked for looking the wrong direction, walking down wrong road, wearing wrong clothing, makeup etc. a lot of wrongens out there in short who need no excuse to be violent.

Those links were just the last couple of months in the Brighton area (of all places, God only knows what its like elsewhere). Yeah the UK is a violent society, and has been for a long time really, but that many attacks against the Gay community is one of the, if not the main reason, that Gay Pride is still needed.
Ive lived in mainlaind Europe for a considerable time now, and I can count on my hand (outside having a Ukrainian Music club for some time) the amount of street violence I see.. It happens in Europe, but not to the extent I find when I go home.
If I see a bunch of drunk people coming towards me in the UK, im preparing myself for violence. In Europe, im preparing to have beer forced on me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yeah the UK is a violent society, and has been for a long time really ...

It's not, it's one of the least violent countries in the world ... and violent crime is going down. According to the ONS "Over the last two decades the Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW) has shown long-term reductions in estimates of violent crime. Victimisation rates decreased from 4.7% of adults being a victim of violent crime in 1995 to 1.7% in the year ending March 2018."

It's one of the reasons homophobic attacks stand out, it's a relatively peaceful place.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
It's not, it's one of the least violent countries in the world ... and violent crime is going down. According to the ONS "Over the last two decades the Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW) has shown long-term reductions in estimates of violent crime. Victimisation rates decreased from 4.7% of adults being a victim of violent crime in 1995 to 1.7% in the year ending March 2018."

It's one of the reasons homophobic attacks stand out, it's a relatively peaceful place.

Well, ive seen more street violence on a weekend in Brighton than in years of being in Europe. Im talking about the random fighting you see on a Friday/Saturday night, rather than serious violent crimes etc, shootings stabbings and the like..

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Gay pride was not born from a need to celebrate being gay, but the right to exist without persecution.
Instead of wondering why there isn’t a straight pride movement, these people should be thankful they don’t need one.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
By the same token, thousands more straight people are attacked. Society is just messed up. People get attacked for looking the wrong direction, walking down wrong road, wearing wrong clothing, makeup etc. a lot of wrongens out there in short who need no excuse to be violent.

You're not wrong that straight people get attacked, but I'm not sure how many of those thousands are attacked PURELY because of their sexuality though...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here