Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Cases have risen similarly all across Europe in a similar pattern, regardless of individual countries policies and restrictions differing the pattern is the same for any country that locked down and was hit hard by a first wave

France
0C082F5E-7317-4859-9067-6FED81E9B7EF.jpegB6E9A90E-12A3-410F-A64A-3DFA3672B999.jpeg

Spain
3B1D965F-4401-4935-8D1A-35317A2940CF.jpeg55F9AE2A-2C0A-41C4-83AE-063931714E3C.jpeg

I think what these charts show is treatments have got significantly better and that the first wave of infections is a vast, vast underestimate of how many people were actually infected at the time. These charts show more infections in these countries now than the first peak but the reality is, it’s probably nowhere near the number of infections during the first wave due to testing capacities. It also shows that yes, there has been an increase in deaths, that much is undeniable but nowhere near the amount of people are dying as were the first wave, even accounting for the lag.

What MUST be balanced, is how much damage a second wave of national restrictions will do, I personally think it’s irreparable, the hospitality industry is about to go under and many other industries, so the OLD normal will never return even after this virus disappears/mutates or the wider community is vaccinated against it because there will be nothing left to go back too.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Hard to disagree with that, people are more confident with masks on. Still more mask use is still better, still nothing for schools in England from yesterday. Its a ticking time bomb, it was 1 in 25 year group sent home last last week and rising fast

IME social distancing in shops over the past 6-months has gradually gone from people shouting at other people for briefly going within 2 m of someone else to what seems almost typical social distancing.

I haven’t noticed less social distancing specially as a result of people wearing masks.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Cases have risen similarly all across Europe in a similar pattern, regardless of individual countries policies and restrictions differing the pattern is the same for any country that locked down and was hit hard by a first wave

I think what these charts show is treatments have got significantly better and that the first wave of infections is a vast, vast underestimate of how many people were actually infected at the time. These charts show more infections in these countries now than the first peak but the reality is, it’s probably nowhere near the number of infections during the first wave due to testing capacities. It also shows that yes, there has been an increase in deaths, that much is undeniable but nowhere near the amount of people are dying as were the first wave, even accounting for the lag.

What MUST be balanced, is how much damage a second wave of national restrictions will do, I personally think it’s irreparable, the hospitality industry is about to go under and many other industries, so the OLD normal will never return even after this virus disappears/mutates or the wider community is vaccinated against it because there will be nothing left to go back too.

The argument isn’t that we currently at an equivalent point in time as the end of March (80/100k positive a day?), more the end of February, maybe mid-February.

Also, current infections are heavily skewed to those under 40, which wouldn’t continue.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

France
View attachment 128651View attachment 128652

Spain
View attachment 128653View attachment 128654

Closing the pubs an hour early will have negligible effect on transmission spread but it really is going to f**k over pubs and restaurants, try getting two servings through a restaurant before 10pm. Food is where pubs make money today, so move to table service only is wise

They didn't really need help in August but boy they will need it now. Eat out to help out if you have a spare few quid

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Why, with all this rise in new cases, are the death figures so much lower in so many places ?

Is it because it is mainly among younger folk or is all this to come ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Boris going the ‘blame the public’ routeView attachment 128647

I have no 'dog in the race' as I really don't like right wing governments and am not a fan of Johnson as PM at all.

However, he is right.

Whatever their shortcomings, folk cannot blame the government if they act irresponsibly and spread it.

Reminds of a girl interviewed after the Croydon riots who said 'It's the Conservatives init' as if poor governance was a worthy excuse to destroy folk's livelihoods.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Unfortunately one effect of mandating masks in shops ..the reduction of people maintaining sensible distancing ..just going by my experience

I said it was a joint impact. No SD and no mask would be bad. Either one seems to reduce viral load when you look at case severity / death rate since their introductions.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Thanks for speaking for me but you've completely misunderstood as usual. I'll reply to the organ grinder, as per.

I haven't misunderstood. I was making the exact same point as what's been given to you. In town, it was crammed and the 2m social distancing wasn't being respected. Is it just masks we're doing now?

You should've seen the Lanes today. North Laine was even worse. Trafalgar Street was ridiculous. I've never seen it more crammed. Are we still doing the social distancing or is it just masks now?
i
This was your counter argument to that :
It's still an anecdote you've put on here without any evidence to back it up. It's also utterky irrelevant since the response to CV-19 is at a national and local level. But it doesn't go to the micro level of locking down one or two streets.

It seems likely (link below :wink: ) that even in Bolton most people were following the rules. The damage was done by a super spreader ignoring them alongside a small cohort of people.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...reader-ignored-quarantine-rules-partly-blame/

How can I prove that the Lanes and North Laine were crammed yesterday and the 2m social distancing was not being respected?

That was my point. E77's point was that the vast majority of people are obeying the rules.

And you haven't disproved it in any way. Were the people in John St at that same time social distancing? Were there more or less people in John St? How about The Level? Portland Road? Bellingham Crescent? Did you take a photo of this shocking breach?

Oh and you must be confused. It's me you've replied to here (as usual).

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why, with all this rise in new cases, are the death figures so much lower in so many places ?

Is it because it is mainly among younger folk or is all this to come ?

My best guess is a combination of...

- Far better protection of the most vulnerable, particularly those in care homes. Many of the worst hit places (UK, Sweden and some areas of the US) seem to have made fundamental errors in the first wave of the virus which permitted spread into care homes taking a lot of people with it, which means:

- Yes, infections are now more slanted towards the younger demographic who, on average, will enjoy a better outcome when infected.

- Those who are higher risk, but not at the stage of being in a care home, are broadly exercising caution still, limiting their chances of getting infected.

- A far better understanding of how to treat those who get very sick, including the repurposing of existing drugs, meaning those who require hospital care stand a better chance.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I was feeling pretty low yesterday as more rules and confusion were imposed on us most of which have very little real logic behind them , stats used that weren’t even based In reality showing exponential growth rates that will never happen, u turns on rules, and ridiculous mentions of using the army just to scare everyone a little more.

Today something really interesting has happened that has really lifted my spirits.

My social media is literally awash with people who have previously been silent or very pro restriction measures and are now being outwardly vocal about how they believe we are now managing this all wrong. Concerned about further removals of our rights, and saying we should manage the vulnerable but it’s time to get on with our lives. Better to face a tiny tiny risk of dying while living than spend our time not living indefinitely because of fear of something that is likely with us forever. Comments and likes to these posts are plenty where previously anyone posting this stuff was getting ignored.

People are waking up. There is hope.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I was feeling pretty low yesterday as more rules and confusion were imposed on us most of which have very little real logic behind them , stats used that weren’t even based In reality showing exponential growth rates that will never happen, u turns on rules, and ridiculous mentions of using the army just to scare everyone a little more.

Today something really interesting has happened that has really lifted my spirits.

My social media is literally awash with people who have previously been silent or very pro restriction measures and are now being outwardly vocal about how they believe we are now managing this all wrong. Concerned about further removals of our rights, and saying we should manage the vulnerable but it’s time to get on with our lives. Better to face a tiny tiny risk of dying while living than spend our time not living indefinitely because of fear of something that is likely with us forever. Comments and likes to these posts are plenty where previously anyone posting this stuff was getting ignored.

Feeling very sorry for GB right now. Just when you thought things couldn't get worse for him....

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Feeling very sorry for GB right now. Just when you thought things couldn't get worse for him....

thats nice for you ....i have been banned for 30 days from facebook for sharing a meme that was detrimental to china .....it is still being posted by others.

these financially fascist governments are using this for alterier motives , people at the top are making bucket loads of money out of the public purse and "covid conditions" in my opinion its all a load of bollox.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Some people who have been immune to the effects of the lockdown are now receiving notice letters as furlough is wrapping up and some places are giving up.

I think that’s the main driving force.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
thats nice for you ....i have been banned for 30 days from facebook for sharing a meme that was detrimental to china .....it is still being posted by others.

these financially fascist governments are using this for alterier motives , people at the top are making bucket loads of money out of the public purse and "covid conditions" in my opinion its all a load of bollox.

of course they are, creating economic recession to profit... :rolleyes::ffsparr:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing

If my experience of being a Labour Party supporter has taught me one thing it is one person's view on Social Media doesn't represent wider society.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Some people who have been immune to the effects of the lockdown are now receiving notice letters as furlough is wrapping up and some places are giving up.

I think that’s the main driving force.

Well the free ride was always going to end at some point. I think people can now finally see what the horrific consequences of carrying on like this will be on all of us eventually. It’s been very easy for the middle classes to sit on the sidelines supporting all the restrictions without fully having the foresight that no one except the super rich are immune to the financial disaster that’s coming and the implications to the very fabric of our society and how we live forever.

The last announcement from the government scientists and politicians has demonstrated clearly there is no plan here. No strategy that will get us back to where we need to be. It’s basically let’s batton down every time we get a spike and pray a vaccine arrives at some point in the future. If this is similar to flu it will be seasonal, never be eradicated and there will never be a fully effective vaccine.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
If my experience of being a Labour Party supporter has taught me one thing it is one person's view on Social Media doesn't represent wider society.

I’m talking about the 800 or so people on my Facebook page, a very wide mix of demographics, political beliefs, attitudes.

People that have been totally silent or pro covid measures up to now.

There is an undeniable shift. That’s encouraging.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here