Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Even the BBC is going more ‘Daily Mail’ these days with its click bait inflammatory homepage Coronavirus headlines. All becoming a bit tedious, and that’s not getting started on high profile sports people and celebs trying to stay ‘relevant’ with their narcissistic online updates, or the now not so funny jokey photos and memes your phone gets bombarded with.

Advance apologies for the moan up :lolol:

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Even the BBC is going more ‘Daily Mail’ these days with its click bait inflammatory homepage Coronavirus headlines. All becoming a bit tedious, and that’s not getting started on high profile sports people and celebs trying to stay ‘relevant’ with their narcissistic online updates, or the now not so funny jokey photos and memes your phone gets bombarded with.

Advance apologies for the moan up :lolol:

I’m getting a bit tired of all of the negative hyperbole in the media. Yes, of course this is a serious situation but you get the feeling that publishers are simply preying on people’s anxieties in the race for clicks. This piece is particularly dystopian in its outlook:

https://www.esquire.com/uk/life/a31915611/coronavirus-timeline/

We don’t really know exactly how this will play out and what it will mean in the long-term. Stop peddling ‘it’s the end of the world as we know it’ as fact.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I'm getting really fed up with seeing the same old things popping up on social media like the 'if your child goes to hospital they will be alone' it's the worst kind of scaremongering and people are buying into it time after time

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I’m getting a bit tired of all of the negative hyperbole in the media. Yes, of course this is a serious situation but you get the feeling that publishers are simply preying on people’s anxieties in the race for clicks. This piece is particularly dystopian in its outlook:

https://www.esquire.com/uk/life/a31915611/coronavirus-timeline/

We don’t really know exactly how this will play out and what it will mean in the long-term. Stop peddling ‘it’s the end of the world as we know it’ as fact.
The sad fact of the matter is that even with all of this hyperbole, you still have divs not respecting social distancing and gaming the 'rules'. Imagine what things would be like if the media DIDN'T hype this situation!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Any of us could, sadly, have a ticking time bomb or undiagnosed underlying medical condition in us. This virus could therefore be the tipping point from carry on in blissful ignorance or snuffing it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So a thought which occurred to me last night (because there was **** all else to do), how long can they make this last do we think? I mean sure, right now, everyone's going along with it and getting through it. Three months in, are people still going to be happy to be sat at home doing nothing? How long before we start to see people starting to flout the restrictions?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Any of us could, sadly, have a ticking time bomb or undiagnosed underlying medical condition in us. This virus could therefore be the tipping point from carry on in blissful ignorance or snuffing it.

Yes, like those seemingly fit young professional footballers who suddenly keel over and die and an autopsy reveals an undiagnosed heart condition.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
So a thought which occurred to me last night (because there was **** all else to do), how long can they make this last do we think? I mean sure, right now, everyone's going along with it and getting through it. Three months in, are people still going to be happy to be sat at home doing nothing? How long before we start to see people starting to flout the restrictions?

I think this was a major factor in Johnson's Plan A i.e. the behavioural scientists steered him with this in mind, that punters would get fed up with lock-down and it would be subject to the law of diminishing returns. I didn't really buy-in to this (I'm not sure how 'scientific' it is) as I am of the view that the more we see folk dying around us - as they will for a long time yet - the more compliant we become. After we reach the peak it (compliance) might become more of a problem perhaps. But given that the thrust of government policy was to reach the peak as slowly as possible*, then I was of the view that an earlier lock-down was preferable.
There's no play-book on this though; everyone is making it up as they go along and (Trump aside) trying their best.

* some confusion here, as in the strategy for 'herd immunity' it looked as if he wanted to get to the peak ASAP!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Is it me or does 33 cases in Brighton & Hove seem extremely low considering we were one of the first places to have an outbreak in the UK?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I read most of it, then started skimming a bit.

I think it's a good summary of what I think is going on in terms of the balance between most people being OK, and how to deal with those who aren't due to overwhelmed health services.

I guess the main point of interest is the trials for the drug treatment, and that's certainly worth following closely.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yep, interesting article. The intention to look at deaths as a whole is difficult, because the lockdowns around the world will have reduced road traffic deaths while also increasing deaths from patients being kicked out of hospital early. Hopefully they'll do some general sampling with the new 'have you had it' tests to help us get a picture of how many people around the country have had it already. Maybe we'll all be able to carry on with life soon.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York

After (say) a month and with testing for those that have had the infection, there will be a relaxing of of restrictions for some. Only problem is how to prove that you are clear, maybe a hand-stamp?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Yes, some sort of henna thing that will last a few weeks then fade to nothing.

(Although you know some :censored: will fake one just to get out)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports