Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Yep, and I'm not disputing any of that.

I was merely responding to the stated 2% rate in China which doesn't seem to be anyone else's statistic at all.

WHO situation report 04/03/20 gives China at 3.7%. Hubei province where it started is at 4%. The rest of China is just under 2%.
Italy and Iran are just over 3%. Interestingly Korea which I thought was a basket case is 0.6%. The rest of the world is under 2% though statistically the sample size is a tad small.

The USA is 5.5% ......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
WHO situation report 04/03/20 gives China at 3.7%. Hubei province where it started is at 4%. The rest of China is just under 2%.
Italy and Iran are just over 3%. Interestingly Korea which I thought was a basket case is 0.6%. The rest of the world is under 2% though statistically the sample size is a tad small.

The other point of interest with South Korea is that under 1% of the currently active 5,913 are classified as serious or critical. In China that is over 11% and Italy is similar.

This article provides some great detail on how the South Koreans have aggressively focused on testing and acting where positives are found: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...hundreds-of-thousands-to-fight-virus-outbreak

It really is a good news story that others should look to replicate, but how many are or can?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It's worrying that other important news will either be ignored or just a snippet at the end of the news as the media swamps us with the virus.
Brexit negotiations, Other trade deals like the US and the budget will become sideshows which could be very useful for our so called government.
As a Tory minister once said "this is a great opportunity to bury bad news"

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The other point of interest with South Korea is that under 1% of the currently active 5,913 are classified as serious or critical. In China that is over 11% and Italy is similar.

This article provides some great detail on how the South Koreans have aggressively focused on testing and acting where positives are found: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...hundreds-of-thousands-to-fight-virus-outbreak

It really is a good news story that others should look to replicate, but how many are or can?

It is but the fact that a significant number of those infected belong to the church/cult makes it much easier as to a certain extent they keep to there own group.

Personally I believe that significant number of people have had the virus but didn’t realise as the symptoms were minor. These have not been recorded.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Scientists have identified at least two different strains of the virus, so that might also help to explain different outcomes in different countries/regions - Coronavirus has mutated at least once into two strains, study finds

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-51674743

I knew I’d got the 2% number from an official source. Basically it’s our Governments estimation and was quoted by Matt Hancock just 2 days ago.

3.4 is the official WHO rate across the board for everyone, obvs certain age groups are higher or lower.

I have been reading though that in most of these type of events the eventual rate over time usually drops...... It is correct as others allude, that there will be some who toughed it out at home with milder symptoms. They said SARS during initial outbreak was stated as higher and reduced, which seems common from expert opinion.

Guessing it may well be nearer your 2% rate in reality with uncounted/unreported cases and maybe lower in the end?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

The USA is 5.5% ......

Possibly a tad skewed in the US, not that many deaths yet overall and I read today it got into 1 old folks home and took a good few of them in that home. The more old folk that are infected in a locale, statistically the worse the mortality rate will appear.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
One million displaced in Syria. Russians and Assad bombing and killing civilians inc children............We are panicking about 100 infected and one dead. WTF.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Scientists have identified at least two different strains of the virus, so that might also help to explain different outcomes in different countries/regions - Coronavirus has mutated at least once into two strains, study finds

The more aggressive strain is thought to be the first hence why wuhan was badly effected. The weaker strain is more recent and could explain why things arent quite so bad elsewhere. Italy and Iran are the exception but could be the more aggressive strain.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The more aggressive strain is thought to be the first hence why wuhan was badly effected. The weaker strain is more recent and could explain why things arent quite so bad elsewhere. Italy and Iran are the exception but could be the more aggressive strain.

Wonder if you caught the weaker milder one, if that would give some kind of immunity to the stronger aggressive L type one??

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Had a considerable food delivery today. Only thing missing.....a couple of packets of spaghetti due to being sold out.

Get a grip, selfish w~~~~~s, panic buying 50 packets. It's actions like that which cause shortages. :dunce:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It was labour spin Doctor Jo Moore who came out with that one on 09/11.

She just happened to have got busted.

Don't think for a second this current tory filth aren't considering the "upsides" of this current crisis, steering attention away from the floods, brexit negotiations, awkward questions on the PM's various illegitimate un-numbered brood, and any other number of shitstorms you'd care to mention that have melted away into the background over this.

Johnson can go and have a gentle "grilling" with Phil and Holly and blather/bluster his way out of whether there'll be any Heinz tomato soup and some catfood on the shelves at Co-op by the end of the month. Job done.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Had a considerable food delivery today. Only thing missing.....a couple of packets of spaghetti due to being sold out.

Get a grip, selfish w~~~~~s, panic buying 50 packets. It's actions like that which cause shortages. :dunce:

You think they'd give you tagliatelle as a substitute.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Yep. I spend 3 days a week having dialysis at Worthing Hospital. But also accept I'm more likely to catch some other patient borne infection.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here