Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Also, I was shocked to hear on TV today that the average age of population in South Africa is just 28... No wonder the data possibly appears to indicate mild symptoms there as its generally the aged that suffer!

True, but they should surely still be able to compare against Delta, surely? They've still had 90,000 deaths.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The UK will have more than one million Omicron cases by the end of this month if current trends continue unchanged - but booster jabs provide 70-75% protection against symptomatic infection, says the Health Security Agency.

The UKHSA said in a statement: "It is projected that if current trends continue unchanged, the UK will exceed one million infections by the end of this month."

It said that the AstraZeneca and Pfizer/BioNtech jabs provided "much lower levels of protection against symptomatic infection compared to the protection that they provide against Delta".

Live COVID updates from the UK and around the world

But it added: "The preliminary data showed effectiveness against the new variant appears to increase considerably in the early period after a booster dose, providing around 70-75% protection against symptomatic infection.

Looks like the jabs are holding up ok

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Also, I was shocked to hear on TV today that the average age of population in South Africa is just 28... No wonder the data possibly appears to indicate mild symptoms there as its generally the aged that suffer!

I may be wrong, but I think I heard on the telly this morning that average life expectancy is only 63!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

You can't look at the data coming out of South Africa and just think that they are having milder symptoms because they've got a younger age demographic.

South Africa has a lower life expectancy by almost 20 years, so of course will have a younger median age of population. However the things that have led to that lower life expectancy, like poor social and economic climate, poorer health care are factors that will impact on someone's health which in turn will cause a virus like Covid to potentially be more severe in a younger age group because those younger people are actually health wise more like our older generations.

It's good to look at what is happening in other places as you can prepare yourself but there are far too many other factors at play that mean direct comparisons are almost pointless. That said the fact that it is proving to be very mild in most cases in South Africa given what is likely to be a worse base level of health per person then that could be seen as tentatively a very good sign.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
True, but they should surely still be able to compare against Delta, surely? They've still had 90,000 deaths.

A true total of 228,000 per John Hopkins Uni via the FT, in three devastating waves.

08080BD2-FBFA-402E-9073-825D9374A547.png

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I may be wrong, but I think I heard on the telly this morning that average life expectancy is only 63!

mixing median average age with life expectancy, very different. UK median age is ~40, life expectancy ~81.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

Understood, just surprised how young the population is.

Its so easy to be insulated to what goes on around the world, especially when people here bang on about the average death age for Covid being 82...!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
theres some pretty good data out of SA nicd.ac.za website - however its painfully slow at times, get a lot of not responding errors. it wasnt, think half the world is logging on.

update of a previous observation - Hospital Surveillance, one month apart shows lower intensive care despite large admission (cant format it better im afraid)

Code:
Nov 09
CurrentlyAdmitted CurrentlyinICU   CurrentlyVentilated  CurrentlyOxygenated
3735                      485                      227                           399

Dec 08
CurrentlyAdmitted  CurrentlyinICU   CurrentlyVentilated  CurrentlyOxygenated
4252                       368                     148                            622

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Word in the NHS (Scotland at least) is that Omicron is expected to represent the vast majority of cases as early as next week and warning of likely stresses on services

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...id-measures-needed-within-a-week-leak-reveals

Britain’s top public health officials have advised ministers that “stringent national measures” need to be imposed by 18 December to avoid Covid hospitalisations surpassing last winter’s peak, according to documents leaked to the Guardian.

Sajid Javid, the health secretary, received a presentation from the UK Health and Security Agency (UKHSA) on Tuesday warning that even if the new Omicron variant leads to less serious disease than Delta, it risks overwhelming the NHS with 5,000 people admitted to hospital a day.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports