Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
So we don't know but you're strongly implying the reason. Gotcha. Can't compete with that logic.
OK, perhaps nobody should be strongly implying the reason for the extra cases unless and until more data is available. But I think it's fair comment to make suggestions as to what the reasons might be rather than necessarily assuming the worst.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We don't know whether the test numbers have gone up because more people feel ill, or because more asymptomatic people are being tested.

But there is a very apparent reason why more people might have decided to test this week. There is a new variant called omicron and the government has changed its rules on testing. More testing for holidays, more stringent isolation rules, new rules for schools. It's very likely that more asymptomatic testing will have happened as a result.

Share of positive tests in the UK is still the same.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Lots of reports that more children are being hospitalised by Omicron in SA.

Very worrying.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Anders Tegnell, the Swedish epidemiologist, said when Omicron was discovered that once a mutation starts spreading between countries, it is impossible to stop it from eventually reaching wherever you are. Plenty of people got angry with his "defeatist" attitude but it is probably the reality of it. There will most likely be more mutations and I dont think we should panic whenever it is the case. From my understanding it is highly unlikely it is going to mutate into something with a higher mortality rate.

Waiting a few weeks to see what it really is rather than rapidly enforcing mass-restrictions is the way to go.

Are we hat-bros now? : )

Ha! Well, I am very sceptical of the inquiry into the pandemic's origins. I don't regard it to be CT when one considers;

The pandemic likely originated in Wuhan

In Wuhan there is a Covid research laboratory

In that lab, scientists were and still are, specifically working on designing Covid viruses that continuously mutate

The same lab previously has at least three reported major safety breaches and had failed numerous aspects of safety inspections

China is a closed country that doesn't like sharing information, let alone holding their hands up to mistakes.

The principal of Parsimony, known better as Ocumm's Razor can be applied here. While often used inaccurately, it is a useful term.

It's common sense IMO.

I don't believe any investigation will ever reveal conclusive evidence here though. For scientists who have just saved the human race to then admit scientists caused the outbreak? It breaks the world.

In all probability we will live with Covid 19 now forever. It will mutate and it needs to be controlled. But one should always question the reaction to such circumstances when so many people are making billions from Covid 19.

I know what that sounds like but hey ho.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This directly affects us, in essence, just one week later Switzerland has scraped it mandatory 10 day quarantine for fully vaccinated arrivals from the UK, Belgium, Netherlands, etc.

Their rationale, Omicron is already in Switzerland.

Instead, PCR testing within 72 hours before arrival, and between days 4 to 7 whilst there.

This is sensible and fantastic news for huge numbers of winter sports enthusiasts.

Incredibly and this won't surprise anyone, those grim reapers at the Guardian are only reporting this as: Covid live: Switzerland tightens restrictions amid surge in cases in an eye-catching giant font.

Last edited:

Yoda

English & European
it’s in Hawaii now and with someone with no history of travel, that suggests it’s been around for weeks.

I reckon I got infected with this variant 4 weeks ago when I tested positive on the 8th and confirmed (Covid not Omicron) by a PCR the same week.

Had a cold & cough the previous 3-4 weeks, so was testing weekly before going out to play darts, but for Covid, just felt achy all over with a headache and felt very lethargic overall for a few days.

The worst thing from it was having to miss my own mothers funeral. :down:

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I reckon I got infected with this variant 4 weeks ago when I tested positive on the 8th and confirmed (Covid not Omicron) by a PCR the same week.

Had a cold & cough the previous 3-4 weeks, so was testing weekly before going out to play darts, but for Covid, just felt achy all over with a headache and felt very lethargic overall for a few days.

Really sorry about your last sentence, that's really tough - chin up and remember the good times!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Sorry to hear that

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Ireland go back into strict restrictions - one of the most vaccinated population

Nightclubs closing, severely restricted capacities at sporting events, rule of 6 indoors.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good thread from UKHSA's excellent Meaghan Kali drawing the highlights from today's Omicron technical briefing...

I guess the key point is that if we use S-gene dropout as a proxy for likely Omicron detection, there are indications it's starting to grow at a reasonable clip, albeit from a very low base.

[tweet]1466807245056970753[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports