Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A simple man am I.

One that the world could probably do without to be honest.
Now don't be like that.

You've speculated that the virus may have been made in a lab, designed to kill people.
A Chinese doctor who was outspoken about the virus, has been silenced.
Are you really sure he died from the virus?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It doesn’t make sense what the media are telling us, why are they so concerned if only a handful of people were have it and mortality is lower than flu.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well I have an idea of how many 55 year olds would die from Covid-19, as we have an idea of the mortality rate, which is around 1% for this age group. So I have an idea around 10 would die.

I also know that in 2019 the fatality rate per billion vehicle miles was 5.6.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...485/road-casualties-year-ending-june-2019.pdf

Therefore, around 2 billion vehicle miles would need to be driven to result in around 10 deaths.

So, for 10 of the 1,000 drivers to die as a result of driving they would have to each drive 2 million miles.

To do that in a year, each of the 55 year olds would have to drive at almost 230 mph 24/7 for 365 days.

On that basis I would say Covid-19 is more deadly than going for a drive, particularly considering the likelihood of catching Covid-19 is high if we don't do anything.

Again you've missed the point. What are the chances of the 55 year old catching covid-19 in the first place?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
90 *known* cases. There will be a lot more unknown, and I don't think we've had today's update on known cases yet, have we?

Out of interest, given the exponential-ish rise of this to date, and the highest-level medical professionals in the country saying this could be caught by up to 80% of the UK population, what number of cases will see you back down and say "fair enough - it wasn't hyperbole after all"?

96000 cases WORLDWIDE, and we're supposed to take it seriously that it 'could' be caught by up to 80% of the UK population? Seriously? I make that about 40 million people. Forgive me if I don't fill up a shopping trolley with bog rolls and pot noodles anytime soon

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Again you've missed the point. What are the chances of the 55 year old catching covid-19 in the first place?

Lets assume 10%.

That would mean 1 of the 1,000 would die, which would require 1,000 55 year old people to each drive 200,000 miles for one of them to die.

Even if its only 1% its the same risk as 1,000 people each driving 20,000 miles.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Lets assume .

So you've gone from "you're wrong" to "let's assume".

Point being, of course, first there is your likelyhood of catching it and only then do you look at the mortality rate per number of confirmed cases.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Don't worry I have a habit of not seeing what's in front of me, or understanding for that matter.

A simple man am I.

One that the world could probably do without to be honest.

Don't be daft fella, if you shared something in good faith, there's no harm.

We're going to need you for a rendition of Alllbiiooon next season against uddersfield and massive :dunce:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
96000 cases WORLDWIDE, and we're supposed to take it seriously that it 'could' be caught by up to 80% of the UK population? Seriously? I make that about 40 million people. Forgive me if I don't fill up a shopping trolley with bog rolls and pot noodles anytime soon

You are missing the point. You need to look at how contagious this virus is, this is the issue. The potential for infection is crazily high. There was a US case yesterday, or day before, were an extended family were infected due to sharing a car plus other close contact. About 6 people just-like-that. Unchecked, this virus will spread easily and quickly taking the vulnerable with it. And there are no antiviral compounds or vaccines to block Coronavirus yet (although I believe some have been identified) This really isn’t hyperbole.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Exactly.

Number of people in North Korea who have died from the virus: zero
Number of people in North Korea who are likely to die from the virus: zero

You can't die from the virus if you're mother ****ing executed!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Like Klopp's response to being asked about the Corona Virus...

[tweet]1235140289825853440[/tweet]

If you can't get anything sensible from government minister, why ask a football manager?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
So you've gone from "you're wrong" to "let's assume".

OK, fair enough. However, as you know going for a drive is more risky than covid-19, you must therfore necessarily know what percentage of 55 year olds will get it, otherwise you wouldn't be able to come to that conclusion.

Anyway I was using 10 or 1% as a conservative estimate to highlight that covid-19 is more risky than going for a drive. I think it's a reasonable assumption based on what we have seen.

If we don't take any preventative measures it seems it would be much higher.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You are missing the point. You need to look at how contagious this virus is, this is the issue. The potential for infection is crazily high. There was a US case yesterday, or day before, were an extended family were infected due to sharing a car plus other close contact. About 6 people just-like-that. Unchecked, this virus will spread easily and quickly taking the vulnerable with it. And there are no antiviral compounds or vaccines to block Coronavirus yet (although I believe some have been identified) This really isn’t hyperbole.

Thanks for picking up the baton (wash your hands now) - I'd personally given up.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ague-matches-closed-doors-coronavirus-everton

The spread of coronavirus means it is likely Premier League matches will be played behind closed doors this month, a leading club executive has admitted.

Sasha Ryazantsev, Everton’s chief financial officer, said banning fans from matches in an attempt to slow the spread of the virus would be a decision “forced” on clubs. However with Italian authorities having taken the decision to play Serie A fixtures behind closed doors until April, the possibility of something similar in England is increasing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
95-year-old woman becomes Australia's second death related to coronavirus

RIP 95 year old Aussie lady. That's no age. Taken so soon by this cruel virus :down:

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've just clicked on your link and seen Johnson's quote in full. Probably the first time I've agreed with him.
People have to get over their dislike for Johnson and stop reacting. He was simply laying out options argued from various quarters. He ended by saying balance was needed. How controversial....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

It's absolutely this that I cannot get my head around.

If we're saying it's really contagious then how come there are so few cases worldwide? The disease has been known about since December and travel restrictions outside of China are minimal and were't imposed there till after Western New Year.

On the other hand, if there are a lot more cases than that and people are mistaking it or not reporting it, then isn't the mortality rate per case FAR lower?

It cannot be both highly contagious and highly fatal with the current stats. I'm a bit lost.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
So when is it going to kick off and kill lots of people?
Is it then that we'll see Govts putting serious precautionary measures in place?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports