Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The figure updated after I made my post.

When you have been in various states of lockdown for 18 months the 4 months until Christmas is a long time. They secured their borders to keep infections out but didn't back it with a swift vaccination programme and now they have the army on the streets.

A further problem is when do they open the borders up? If they wait for Covid to disappear around the world they might have a long wait.

Excellent post.

One big reason why, is a lack of vaccine supply. The Australian Government put all its early eggs on the Queensland Uni vaccine being created (covered in a brilliant BBC doc about the vaccine race across the globe). Then unfortunately the vaccine had to be pulled in December 2020.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/11/university-of-queensland-covid-vaccine-the-governments-pulled-the-plug-so-what-happens-now

By then the other pharma’s were committed to orders across the world.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The figure updated after I made my post.

When you have been in various states of lockdown for 18 months the 4 months until Christmas is a long time. They secured their borders to keep infections out but didn't back it with a swift vaccination programme and now they have the army on the streets.

A further problem is when do they open the borders up? If they wait for Covid to disappear around the world they might have a long wait.

They said they won’t open till they hit 80 percent, how likely is that?

Are they going to jab all kids?

They really shouldn’t have spent months talking down the vaccine.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
And given that covid is going absolutely nowhere who can blame them? We're entering our 4th wave as we speak, who knows how many more eaves of covid or flu or other respiratory infections may be coming so the need for the government to be nimble and swiftly bring these measures under control is vital
By "going absolutely nowhere", are you saying that covid conditions now are just as bad as they have ever been and medical science has made no progress whatsoever? I think you're being unusually pessimistic.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
By "going absolutely nowhere", are you saying that covid conditions now are just as bad as they have ever been and medical science has made no progress whatsoever? I think you're being unusually pessimistic.

I'm saying we're not eliminating it, in fact it's breeding now in very uncomfortable numbers for mid summer. We've got 35,000 daily cases, in excess of 5,000 in hospital, and this is the best time in terms of conditions we get, cases are going to increase rapidly through September when children go back to school with no restrictions and then Universities go back similarly, then the change of the seasons tilts back in the viruses favour and 30,000 daily cases and 6,000 in hospital will seem small fry. Unfortunately unless the government swiftly put in place extra controls and measures we will be in for another very long and difficult winter.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'm saying we're not eliminating it, in fact it's breeding now in very uncomfortable numbers for mid summer. We've got 35,000 daily cases, in excess of 5,000 in hospital, and this is the best time in terms of conditions we get, cases are going to increase rapidly through September when children go back to school with no restrictions and then Universities go back similarly, then the change of the seasons tilts back in the viruses favour and 30,000 daily cases and 6,000 in hospital will seem small fry. Unfortunately unless the government swiftly put in place extra controls and measures we will be in for another very long and difficult winter.

general consensus now seems to be to get the jabs done and then get the virus , it's the only way we are ever going to get back to anything approaching normality......Australian govt. is murmuring about travel restrictions being in place for 5 years , it is not official but the mere thought has gone down like a lead balloon. still a a large proportion of the populous who are anti jab ....so the 80% vaxed figure is a long way off for us.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Are you afraid of the world in general?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Coming from the country that let babies die rather than let them cross state lines

Politics For All
@PoliticsForAlI
Police cars revolving light | NEW: Australian authorities have shot dead rescue dogs due to Covid restrictions. They shot them to stop volunteers at an animal shelter from travelling to pick them up

Via
@smh

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That’s interesting.

So we’ll be going into the ‘live indoors’ months with, by then, just a tiny proportion of the population susceptible to catching Covid for the first time. Herd immunity attained?

They always mix up 'population' with 'adult population' don't they ?

Given that only a tiny number of under 18s have been vaccinated - and the rest act as a non-vaccinated viral 'sink' - we probably aren't at herd immunity levels just yet.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Loving how quiet this forum has become.

Would love to hear from [MENTION=35904]A1X[/MENTION] [MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION] and others who were fear mongering and doom merchanting, warning how freedom would be a disaster for everyone, when in fact it has been a considerable success.

Let’s not poke the embers

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

Would love to hear from [MENTION=35904]A1X[/MENTION] [MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION] and others who were fear mongering and doom merchanting, warning how freedom would be a disaster for everyone, when in fact it has been a considerable success.

Apart from the 2800 families who have suffered the most tragic loss since July 19th, for them I guess it’s been less of a success.

I’ve said it before, your lack of empathy and triumphalism does rather get under the skin.

It’s a shame we can’t find some middle ground between the likes of Crodo and his doom and gloom and you and your let’s all go out and catch it to build up immunity tack...

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing

Glad you think 652 deaths in the week ending the 13th, the highest since March, is reason to celebrate.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Apart from the 2800 families who have suffered the most tragic loss since July 19th, for them I guess it’s been less of a success.

I’ve said it before, your lack of empathy and triumphalism does rather get under the skin.

It’s a shame we can’t find some middle ground between the likes of Crodo and his doom and gloom and you and your let’s all go out and catch it to build up immunity tack...

In fairness he is probably busy helping the government by not getting vaccinated.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Glad you think 652 deaths in the week ending the 13th, the highest since March, is reason to celebrate.
I think he might be celebrating that the number isn't higher. I think it's a bit OTT to imply that anyone is jumping up and down in glee at reports of another death.

Remember that about 200 of those deaths are purely random and are little or nothing to do with coronavirus. And an unspecified number more are those people who could have been vaccinated and chose not to be - you know the old proverb about leading a horse to water. The number of people who have taken proper precautions against coronavirus and have died anyway, is pretty small, especially in consideration to how it used to be. That is something to celebrate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here