Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What is the sense in panicking though? Even if the reapers here with a vengeance? All gotta die someday. Why spend the last few days getting in a lather about whether some of us (and I include myself) ain’t going to make it through? Seriously, in times of crisis as this might be heading, what’s the best thing to do? Absolutely losing your shit and sustaining fear by constantly discussing and perpetuating what might happen isn’t going to help a jot. Where’s following advice and remaining calm at least maintains a sense of stoicism and order. I’m at an age now where I’ve seen death, faced death and know it’s coming one day quite possibly soon as I’m not in the best of health myself. You might say I’m resigned to my fate! Our fate!! But really, I do think people need to get a sense of proportion. If you do that, you’ll probably be able to take comfort from the fact that we ain’t ALL going to die from it. Just some. And that’s the case with everything from cancer to ‘falling off ladders’ and ‘bee stings’ which take their toll too.

Given that many people die from standard flu each winter, the additional deaths from this virus is not that significant when measured against the UK population. People don't run around in a normal winter in a blind panic that the flu is coming and suggest that everything should be closed down.

Just stay calm and carry on.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Interesting how the focus in the UK seems to be so ‘me, me, me’. Sure, there are a lot of people who should be fine even if they contract the virus. But that’s not really the point. There’s still every reason to take it seriously - because if you’re blasé and ignore the advice (no matter how exaggerated you might think it is), you’re running the risk of spreading the virus and putting other people’s lives at risk.

It’d be nice to see some emphasis on people protecting others by doing the right thing....

Personally, I don’t fear the virus but the damage to the country generally could be severe.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Given that many people die from standard flu each winter, the additional deaths from this virus is not that significant when measured against the UK population. People don't run around in a normal winter in a blind panic that the flu is coming and suggest that everything should be closed down.

Pick your reasons for that from the below...

a) Many people have built up immunity to variants of seasonal flu
b) The most vulnerable receive annual vaccinations from seasonal flu
c) The healthcare system copes, albeit not easily, with the demands placed upon it by seasonal flu
d) Seasonal flu does not have a fatality rate as high as Covid-19 appears to have thus far, by some degrees of magnitude

Just stay calm and carry on.

Yep.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Interesting how the focus in the UK seems to be so ‘me, me, me’. Sure, there are a lot of people who should be fine even if they contract the virus. But that’s not really the point. There’s still every reason to take it seriously - because if you’re blasé and ignore the advice (no matter how exaggerated you might think it is), you’re running the risk of spreading the virus and putting other people’s lives at risk.

It’d be nice to see some emphasis on people protecting others by doing the right thing....

Personally, I don’t fear the virus but the damage to the country generally could be severe.

What do you expect in this day and age? The age of #me?!! The age of the selfie? The age of the selfish?!!
Of course people don’t give a **** about others, just look at the run on certain goods. People generally look out for numero uno and that’s all. Many don’t care about their immediate families in this day and age so we shouldn’t be surprised by the general attitude. I blame Thatcher... ;)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
But the Coronavirus is considerably more fatal than the flu.
5e5fc740fee23d14eb3dd212

Seasonal Flu is far more deadly for the under 10’s which would be my the age bracket I’d be most concerned about in life. Infact, Coronavirus has still not killed a child under 10.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
5e5fc740fee23d14eb3dd212

I'm going to have to hope I get this sooner rather than later, I'm 60 in August and if I don't hurry up my chance of dying more than doubles.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Pick your reasons for that from the below...

a) Many people have built up immunity to variants of seasonal flu
b) The most vulnerable receive annual vaccinations from seasonal flu
c) The healthcare system copes, albeit not easily, with the demands placed upon it by seasonal flu
d) Seasonal flu does not have a fatality rate as high as Covid-19 appears to have thus far, by some degrees of magnitude

Yep.

Yes, as mentioned on occasions here Bozza, a sudden large spike in the number of contractions can overwhelm the local NHS with the number of cases that need critical care. It's still very frightening.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm going to have to hope I get this sooner rather than later, I'm 60 in August and if I don't hurry up my chance of dying more than doubles.

I joked with Mrs Bozza that mums will be holding Coronavirus parties (as is often the case with chicken pox) in the near future because if you're going to get this, you want it soon whilst healthcare capacity is not overwhelmed and your chances of receiving the treatment you may need is high.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What is the sense in panicking though? Even if the reapers here with a vengeance? All gotta die someday. Why spend the last few days getting in a lather about whether some of us (and I include myself) ain’t going to make it through? Seriously, in times of crisis as this might be heading, what’s the best thing to do? Absolutely losing your shit and sustaining fear by constantly discussing and perpetuating what might happen isn’t going to help a jot. Where’s following advice and remaining calm at least maintains a sense of stoicism and order. I’m at an age now where I’ve seen death, faced death and know it’s coming one day quite possibly soon as I’m not in the best of health myself. You might say I’m resigned to my fate! Our fate!! But really, I do think people need to get a sense of proportion. If you do that, you’ll probably be able to take comfort from the fact that we ain’t ALL going to die from it. Just some. And that’s the case with everything from cancer to ‘falling off ladders’ and ‘bee stings’ which take their toll too.

Not if you avoid ladders and height based activities ! Also Bees are dormant for about 5 months of the year as opposed to the actions of contagious viruses.

I’m not personally as my family aren’t in the risk categories but we are a community so I’m worried for those that are, I don’t think those in power care about ordinary, vulnerable people

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I joked with Mrs Bozza that mums will be holding Coronavirus parties (as is often the case with chicken pox) in the near future because if you're going to get this, you want it soon whilst healthcare capacity is not overwhelmed and your chances of receiving the treatment you may need is high.

Very much this. Those that make it through will probably want to celebrate, and why not ? For all the flannel about Bee stings, Cancer, ladders, 'Flu. TB, road accidents etc, this is a previously unexpected threat that no one can isolate themselves from, a bigger power seems at work that we have little or no control over. Anyone getting through this should be incredibly grateful and relieved.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
5e5fc740fee23d14eb3dd212
To date zero deaths from the virus in the UK.
With normal flu we don't have a daily count of how many people have the flu and details of which town they live in.
I would suggest that this running commentary of numbers is adding to the panic particularly with people who are risk averse.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
To date zero deaths from the virus in the UK.
With normal flu we don't have a daily count of how many people have the flu and details of which town they live in.
I would suggest that this running commentary of numbers is adding to the panic particularly with people who are risk averse.

Which, I suspect, is why the government have moved to weekly rather than daily updates on case numbers. Hard to say at this stage whether that is a good or bad decision - for the next few days you enable society to continue in relative normality, and the economy continues to perform at a more or less normal rate.

But then what happens in a week’s time if the number of cases have risen from less than 100 to 10,000. Then what if a similar ratio prevails the following week? I completely understand the need to avert panic, but I’m not sure data suppression is the way to achieve that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Which, I suspect, is why the government have moved to weekly rather than daily updates on case numbers. Hard to say at this stage whether that is a good or bad decision - for the next few days you enable society to continue in relative normality, and the economy continues to perform at a more or less normal rate..

I think you've misunderstood (or maybe I have).

My understanding is daily case counts will still be released, but it's only going to be weekly as to WHERE those cases are.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Coronavirus - What if scenario.

What if the epidemic really takes a hold in the UK and all public gatherings are banned for several weeks or even perhaps months. Football fixtures remain unfulfilled and the FA has to suspend the football season. Is there a possibility of games being played behind closed doors or the season as a whole being cancelled and all Leagues staying as they are for this season with no promotions/relegations? Might be the only chance we have of staving off relegation?

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park

What a knob

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Another cruise ship has been hit:

“A cruise ship with around 3,500 people on board is being held off California
A 71-year-old passenger from a previous trip has died from the virus
California declares state of emergency in response to the death.” BBC

Sadly, cruise ships are generally full of the people most vulnerable to Covid-18, the Baby Boomers.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The ramp up in Italy would suggest that this is something to be deeply concerned about, not just for health. Many businesses will be affected, schools are likely to close and panic buying is sure to kick in. Not being able to go to sports events or concerts is a minor problem.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
5e5fc740fee23d14eb3dd212

That graphic shows cases only up to February 11th in China. It would be interesting to see a more up to date one as I do not believe the mortality rate is anything like that in the rest of the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here