Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Government allowing the British Grand Prix to admit 114,000 before Covid restrictions are eased. Again goes to show, if the big money wants something to happen, it will happen. Madness. Utter madness.

They're not following their own rules, that ended on 17th May.

Cases increasing 40-50% week, we'll hit January levels at 3-4 weeks if things continue. Little surprise Europe is bricking it at the prospect of UK travellers entering on mass

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
They're not following their own rules, that ended on 17th May.

Cases increasing 40-50% week, we'll hit January levels at 3-4 weeks if things continue. Little surprise Europe is bricking it at the prospect of UK travellers entering on mass

How many cases would these countries be picking up if they tested at out levels?

Who is doing it right? us testing 1.2 million a day, or the EU hardly testing?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
How many cases would these countries be picking up if they tested at out levels?

Who is doing it right? us testing 1.2 million a day, or the EU hardly testing?

Yes we're testing a lot, 7th highest in Europe when I last looked. But its the trend in cases that concerns me, still increasing a lot. We need to see cases dropping 40% a week, not increasing...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yes we're testing a lot, 7th highest in Europe when I last looked. But its the trend in cases that concerns me, still increasing a lot. We need to see cases dropping 40% a week, not increasing...

Frances highest day of testing this month is 419k tests

our lowest is 533k

Cases were always going to increase, sage said so and modelled it - we are still way under those.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

We absolutely won't see falls like that as we unlock IMO - I suspect we'll see them plateau as we learn to live with Covid and let infections rates trip along at a manageable level. As long as hospitalisations and deaths do at least the same and the NHS is coping comfortably (the current admissions to hospital are comprised very significantly of the unvaccinated compared to earlier in the pandemic so as the vacc programme gets deeper into the younger population these numbers should fall) we shouldn't be panicking about higher infection numbers (they are still 75% or so down on the peak anyway) as long as the rate of increase slows pretty soon. Surge testing is undoubtedly having an impact on the numbers - better that we have a clearer idea of actual infection numbers and localised outbreaks.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
I see Oxford University are going to do a big trial for Ivermectin to see if it is useful as a therapy against Covid . They are trying to find either this drug or any other ones they can discover would be another tool against Covid . If the scientists can find something, that would mean as soon as someone gets tested positive instead of isolating and just hoping that after a week or so you do not get the inflammation to the body ,it could be the way out of Covid.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
We absolutely won't see falls like that as we unlock IMO - I suspect we'll see them plateau as we learn to live with Covid and let infections rates trip along at a manageable level.

It's becoming clearer by the day that we have to learn to live with covid circulating in the population. I've just been reading about Israel brining in new restrictions because delta varient cases are doubling every few days, this is the most vax'ed and one of the securist countries in the world. If they can't keep a lid on infections then IMHO we have straight choice between restrictions forever or accepting that we're all going to get it and regular vaccine boosters will keep us out of hospital. To me there's no choice at all.

Yoda

English & European
Was speaking to one of the practice managers earlier at the surgery I'm registered with about something IT related and they said they were at the Vaccination Centre today taking delivery of the next batch of vaccine's so wouldn't be at their normal PC for me to install something we had arranged. I cheekily said that should mean I might get a call soon to arrange my second dose and she just booked me in there and then for next week. :lolol:

As they say, it's not what you know, it's who you know. :lolol:

*Yes realise this went in the wrong thread originally but can no longer edit/delete it.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
7yo son put into isolation on Sunday due to positive case in his class.

More than 50% of the class now have it, and they haven't got all the results back yet. :eek:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Pupils have been using fruit juice to get false positive Covid-19 test results as schools warn parents to be 'vigilant'.

When droplets of orange juice or fizzy drinks like coca-cola are placed on a lateral flow test it can produce a positive result because the acidity of the drink destroys the antibody proteins in the test.

And although it does not work every time, viral videos on Tik Tok and Instagram have been encouraging children across the UK to try the trick to get out of going to school.

Genius lol

No wonder the states stopped using them

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
So much for the 3rd wave slowing and then plateauing, over 18,000 cases today and more than 50% weekly increase now.

Yoda

English & European
So much for the 3rd wave slowing and then plateauing, over 18,000 cases today and more than 50% weekly increase now.

Take a look at this that I posted in the good news thread yesterday. The vaccine wall is holding firm.

Cases falling in all age groups above 30:
E4qOcCiXEAEsjkT

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Did you post that reply on the wrong post or are you being deliberately obtuse?

Obviously not great news having an increasing infection rate, but it really is good news that the vaccines are working so well the last time we had 18k infections was February, we also had over 800 deaths and over 1k daily admissions, that in itself tells me the vaccine is doing its job very well, it means we can start living without fear !

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Obviously not great news having an increasing infection rate, but it really is good news that the vaccines are working so well the last time we had 18k infections was February, we also had over 800 deaths and over 1k daily admissions, that in itself tells me the vaccine is doing its job very well, it means we can start living without fear !

What were the deaths and admissions like 2 weeks after we last hit 18k cases?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

It’s incredible how well the vaccine is working. As I posted on the Good News thread a couple of weeks ago, cases are now resulting in around 20x fewer deaths than they were in January, so to reach the same kind of death figures we did at the January peak we would need to be recording over 1m cases per day. And that ain’t happening.

That said, the notion of unlocking completely with very high case levels does make me slightly nervous in so much as we’re more or less going consigning our entire child population to Covid infection. Granted, children are very rarely ill with Covid but around 12m under-16s there will inevitably be some sad stories.

I don’t expect that to have any great bearing on what we do on 19th July though - I expect we’ll be unlocking come hell or high water.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It’s incredible how well the vaccine is working. As I posted on the Good News thread a couple of weeks ago, cases are now resulting in around 20x fewer deaths than they were in January, so to reach the same kind of death figures we did at the January peak we would need to be recording over 1m cases per day. And that ain’t happening.

That said, the notion of unlocking completely with very high case levels does make me slightly nervous in so much as we’re more or less going consigning our entire child population to Covid infection. Granted, children are very rarely ill with Covid but around 12m under-16s there will inevitably be some sad stories.

I don’t expect that to have any great bearing on what we do on 19th July though - I expect we’ll be unlocking come hell or high water.

If I am being absolutely honest I was hoping we would see less than 20 fewer deaths, although that might still improve in the next few weeks.

That said once everyone has been offered a vaccine we don't have anything else in the locker so really have to get on with it. Someone needs to decide if schools will be sending pupils home if there is one case though as the knock on effect of parents having to look after them will hardly be a return to normal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here