Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I know. My point is people persist in this cancel.christmas. go back into full lockdown etc etc. Even teachers at the school have been telling kids Christmas'isn't happening. I hate this perception that Christmas has to be about getting together with wider family. No consideration is given to different situations.

“Cancel Christmas” means “Cancel big Christmas get-togethers and parties” really.

No-one is suggesting you shouldn’t have Xmas dinner or give presents or watch sh1t TV...

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
“Cancel Christmas” means “Cancel big Christmas get-togethers and parties” really.

No-one is suggesting you shouldn’t have Xmas dinner or give presents or watch sh1t TV...

Then why not call it. Have Christmas within your household. What teachers at my kids school have said is very definitely Christmas is cancelled. Nobody will be celebrating it this year

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
How much compensation should the Gov pay per shop for restricting trade on one of the most profitable days after a year of not making money?

Is it better to let them open and pay boxing Day wages, then advise no one to use them so they lose more money?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Then why not call it. Have Christmas within your household. What teachers at my kids school have said is very definitely Christmas is cancelled. Nobody will be celebrating it this year

Id probably speak to the head then! V silly messaging.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Almost time for the big updated tiers info. Doesn't seem to have been much leaked as yet other than Lancashire remaining tier 3

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Is it a Jewish school?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
And who pays the staff?

Do you furlough them for a day?

Its not as simple as just saying shut the shops.

You can furlough for a day, no problem. Retail on Boxing Day is terrible, never used to happen and exploits workers. My brother was often 'forced' into working Boxing day when he did not want to and a lot of the time it was not that busy. Great for people like Next who can flog really old stuff for cheap to saddos who queue up at 6am

And if a retailer has not sorted their online presence after this years then that says it all.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Funny how the most sanctimonious about mixing with criticism of households mixing at Christmas, are those that do not live alone and wont be facing Christmas isolated and alone.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Funny how the most sanctimonious about mixing with criticism of households mixing at Christmas, are those that do not live alone and wont be facing Christmas isolated and alone.

Is anyone saying that? I think it is the big mass gatherings and mixing of multiple households, that have multiple people in that most are concerned about

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is anyone saying that? I think it is the big mass gatherings and mixing of multiple households, that have multiple people in that most are concerned about

Exactly..........'three households' will mean some pretty large gatherings for some 'because we can', not because it's necessary or sensible. In our case we were due to have a wider group for Christmas day but it'll now be just us (ie one household) and my widowed mother. We'll have the planned wider gathering when it's safer to do it :shrug:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
as Richard Burton has just said if we had locked down in September as the scientists recommended and continued this lockdown through Christmas and on into Spring we would have low case rates now and many people would not have lost their lives.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
My Daughter has been working in a large care home in Worthing right the way through since the Pandemic began, really dodgy at the start with hardly any PPE provided. But gradually things improved and also all the staff now have weekly tests. Her partner works in a small printing works and 6 of the people he works with went down with the virus last week, including the Boss, who wanted the rest of them to carry on working! Her partner came down with symptoms (cough, loss of taste) and has now tested positive as well as my Daughter, and they are waiting for the tests on their 3 kids to come back, and are now, obviously, self isolating. Fingers crossed for my other daughter who teaches Reception year children at a School in Brighton.
So proud of both of my Daughters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here