Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The number of false positives is dependant on the specificity of the PCR test, which can be as high as 100%.

I think 99.8% is readily achievable which would only give 200 false positives for every 100,000 people tested who don't have the virus.

Not to mention you should only get a test if you have symptoms and then you should be isolating anyway. The test result is merely going to determine the length of isolation.

That's 200 people who may have had a false positive test but, if they did they right thing, would not have passed on their cold or flu or temperature and headache bug, thus meaning fewer other people get symptoms that require a test.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It's her that's been pointed to on NSC and her that's putting that on her Twitter and promoting her radio show on the back of it. Has everyone else made the same statistical maths error that [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] sorted out?

Sky/BBC and others have all run stories this week on false positives being a issue and mentioned the same sort of figures.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well I’m not sure I said that ..but he was involved right :)

You might find this interesting

https://twitter.com/d_spiegel/status/1306943201320873988?s=21

which is an argument to not test people at random. if Julia or others are going to challenge the "moonshot" policy as a grand waste of money that wont achieve anything meaningful, it would be on good ground. if they want to snipe at the minister and take glory for showing he's wrong about some stats he's given, they are just wasting everyone's time.

and to what end? are we suppose to simply stop testing, remove all restrictions and assume its blown over? then cry to the minister when the hospitals and mortuaries are full.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The other thing to note on the number of cases and the recent increase is that not only are the number of cases increasing but also the number of positive tests relative to the number of test undertaken, i.e. false positives don't explain the increase.

A few weeks ago this was 1 to 2%, its now 2 to 4% and going up.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...COVID19_Surveillance_Report_week_38_FINAL.pdf

Yes ..but it’s from ‘cases’ to hospital to deaths where I’m looking ..slightly creeping up but not exponentially...I believe France and Spain are ahead of us re the ‘cases’ and yet not exponential growth in hospitalisations there...Italy seems to have dropped out of the news which is interesting

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
which is an argument to not test people at random. if Julia or others are going to challenge the "moonshot" policy as a grand waste of money that wont achieve anything meaningful, it would be on good ground. if they want to snipe at the minister and take glory for showing he's wrong about some stats he's given, they are just wasting everyone's time.

and to what end? are we suppose to simply stop testing, remove all restrictions and assume its blown over? then cry to the minister when the hospitals and mortuaries are full.

Not sure that relates to my post tbh ...but Hancocks up there and if you think he’s doing a great job then sure say so ..personally I don’t ..re this ‘shock jock’ ..don’t really know anything about her ..anyway I’m off now ..do carry on

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Two wrongs don't make a right Lamie!

Hancock's as much use as tits on a bull and Julia can't do maths.

But

23CA1C4F-D33E-4B21-B1C4-3956682D73A1.png

I think we can agree on this being the worst tweet ever.

Big Beach Seagull

Salt of the earth
May 16, 2020
Can anyone who knows about this sort of thing confirm or deny this. (I’m talking about what’s being said, needless to say, not who is saying it).

[tweet]1306916494773755910[/tweet]

Julia is NEVER wrong. Her radio show is nearly as brilliant as her articles.

It's typical of the educated, snobby left wing NSC elite that they can add up properly. Us Traffic Wardens only need one bit of maths - one wheel plus two lines = TICKET :)

Don't take the post down my love, I'm just going for the special tissues......

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Yes ..but it’s from ‘cases’ to hospital to deaths where I’m looking ..slightly creeping up but not exponentially...I believe France and Spain are ahead of us re the ‘cases’ and yet not exponential growth in hospitalisations there...Italy seems to have dropped out of the news which is interesting

Yes deaths and hospitalisations are obviously more important than cases, but that link I posted shows 'COVID-19-like, daily Emergency Department attendances'.

Untitled.png

Clearly still low, but creeping up as you say, at a similar rate to early-March.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I'm guess because Italy have taken testing seriously, tests can be done with a high percentage of accuracy with results within 30 minutes... Not hours, minutes!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Definitely. He knows he’s going to do it, he’s just saying all the right things to minimise the damage for him personally.

A second lockdown would be an absolute disgrace and once again do far more damage to millions of people than this virus can. It should also result in the immediate resignation of Johnson.

Surely even the biggest Boris fan has had enough of this now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here