Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
dont think the public would care. a russian vaccine would be put through our trails and regulation, to show efficacy and safety before being used either way.

I'm not sure that would be the case. Rightly or wrongly, Russia is widely considered as one of the few countries to pose a significant threat to the UK's national security. It's also synonymous with dirty, underhand tricks. Whether you honestly believe Russia was behind events like the Salisbury poisonings, the death of Alexander Litvinenko, the sudden demise / illness of other opponents of the Russian government under suspicious circumstances and so on, they're not stories that evoke a sense of trust.

On a personal note, I think I'd be reluctant, though I partly have a distrust of Russian technology ever since I had the misfortune to fly on a Tupolev Tu-154 - never, ever again. :eek:

Aside from that there's the PR angle. For the west to be effectively bailed out by Russia; that would surely just be too humiliating. We'd be forever in their pocket, and I think it would have to be an absolute last resort for it to even be considered.

Here's hoping we don't need it - personally I have great confidence in the work being done by Oxford University. Fingers crossed.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Wow, got to be impressed by your belief you are right.

You remind me a little of those religious zealots that knock your door and basically take any manner of abuse but still smile and say God be with you!

Fair play to you - even if you are wrong! Got to admire people with convictions.

I associate myself with these remarks.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
No they are not, you are quite right and it is much more infectious at the moment because it is a Novel virus (new to humans), but as more data is collected the Infection Fatality Rate for COVID is falling all the time.

It was incorrectly suggested to be about 1.5% during the first few months. At it's peak in March the IFR was already down to 0.56% and the Medical Research Council at the end of July had it at 0.30% and continuing to fall.

Seasonal Influenza is 0.1%-0.2% (depending whether it's been a good or bad season).

On another interesting note, those Countries in Europe hit hardest by COVID in terms of number of deaths, had an unusually below average IFR for influenza last season and those that had lower numbers of deaths from COVID had an average to bad Influenza season.

Please note, all of the above I have researched from The Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine at Oxford University and thanks to the help of Dr. John Campbell. You really should check his YouTube channel out, he is the best independent source of unbiased, accurate information when it comes to this virus.

Firstly I don't know why people using Flu as a baseline trivialise it (not saying you are). I had it a couple of years ago as a fairly healthy - if somewhat unfit - person in their early 40s and it completely wiped me out for a week and took me a good couple of months to recover fully from including bouts of laryngitis and general lack of energy. It can be fatal amongst the elderly and Covid-19 is generally accepted as more serious (granted I think I had it earlier in the year and got over it in three days but on balance I know what most people would take their chances with).

I suspect the reduction in percentage of people dying is caused by:

• Better treatment in hospital
  • There isn't so many weak and vunerable for it to infect
  • In common with other viruses it might now be weaker

John Hopkins still estimate it could be ten times more deadly then flu though (granted more research needs to be done) plus symptoms don't show for 5-6 days versus 3 for flu and it still seems to be a mystery how much children spread it.

My problem isn't people debating it's impact and what measures need to be taken to mitigate it's spread - for what it's worth I would argue against a another full lock down - but some are on the range of denying it exists all (which is frankly bonkers) to it being a massive deep state conspiracy to control society as opposed to the public health crises it actually is.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I also think once we are on top of this societies approach to infectious diseases is going to change. I can't see it going back to where you were expected to drag yourself into work no matter how ill you were then more often than not infect the whole workplace.

I suspect if I am ill in the future I will wear a face mask in places like shops. It is the done thing in some Asian countries anyway.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Wow, got to be impressed by your belief you are right.

You remind me a little of those religious zealots that knock your door and basically take any manner of abuse but still smile and say God be with you!

Fair play to you - even if you are wrong! Got to admire people with convictions.

Right? Certainly not about everything. Who can be in this world of madness.

I certainly believe our entire way of life has been destroyed for a very long period of time by horrific governance, decisions, and leadership to the point where we’re being encouraged to grass up our neighbours now for seeing a family member too many. This can not end well.

I also believe our media are bordering on criminal negligence in terms of how they’ve reported on this (barely even mentioned the first day we had no deaths recently) and the fear and anxiety it has induced.

I’ve presented content that suggests other options are available and that there are experts opinions and ideas cchallenging the main narrative. I am open minded to the possibility that there is another better way than the generational destroying path we are on. I fear that too many people are blinkered into only believing what WHO scientists want them to think because they are controlling most the media despite plenty of alternative evidence based argument.

I am concerned that there is widespread censorship by two of the most powerful organisations in the world (FB and Youtube) of anyone saying anything that WHO disagree with and the behaviour of some governments around the world behaving like police states. The precedent this sets is horrific imo. I am concerned about the coronovirus act and the powers it gives the government over our liberty probably way beyond this pandemic.

I want to talk to my grandchildren one day and not have to reminisce about the good old days when we were free.

I currently believe that the path we have will ultimately prove that the cure will be far far more damaging than the disease in the long term. I am very worried that we are so down a path that even if it’s not the right one (potentially Sweden) that an agenda is now in place that will be carried to conclusion and that could mean a change to the freedoms we enjoyed forever. If this is seasonal when will it ever end? Lastly rather than be right I hope I am very very wrong.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm not sure that would be the case...

vaccine is a essentially just recipe, some virus and chemistry configured in a certain way. if it works we'd copy it.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I currently believe that the path we have will ultimately prove that the cure will be far far more damaging than the disease in the long term. I am very worried that we are so down a path that even if it’s not the right one (potentially Sweden) that an agenda is now in place that will be carried to conclusion and that could mean a change to the freedoms we enjoyed forever. If this is seasonal when will it ever end? Lastly rather than be right I hope I am very very wrong.

you keep hinting at this, who is running this agenda and what is the aim?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Research the great reset. The ushering in of a new model for society.

ah, economic reset. might be a good idea. hope you have your stack of silver ready.
is it all orchestrated to bring about this new model society, or are they taking advantage of an opportunity?

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
ah, economic reset. might be a good idea. hope you have your stack of silver ready.
is it all orchestrated to bring about this new model society, or are they taking advantage of an opportunity?

Might be a good idea but from the way it’s described from what I’ve seen you’d have to trust the ruling bodies/billionaires to make it fair and we know how trustworthy they all are.

The idea of a universal credit system for all to me sounds unappealing but you can certainly see the pathway from here to there. It also results in huge amounts of the population entirely reliant on the state. It is clearly something that many senior world finance leaders would like to see and have proposed as an option for a while. From there a frightening amount of control is held over the population.

Who knows if it’s designed or opportunistic or I’m completely wrong but it’s certainly a plausible strategy now we have destroyed our economies and taken on unimaginable debt.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Seems the tests being faulty/Not as good as originally thought is picking up traction in the media

Pretty widely accepted now that it’s picking up old RNA and creating false positives. I suspect test and trace is just driving massive increases in people that would never have got a test beforehand. Could be another explanation why cases and deaths have lost all correlation.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
This graph seems to suggest that nothing the government has done has had any effect. The epidemic has followed the usual bell curve and fizzled out.

8A2F35D4-4C18-4C66-89DA-50D2D2009817.jpeg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I can't remember anyone ever asking for a 'world beating testing system'.

What we wanted was an adequate testing system. That was all 'adequate'.

You've had over 6 months to deliver 'adequate' in the full knowledge it was likely to come back.

FFS, I really can't describe how annoyed i get by complete incompetence on this f***ing scale by people who claim to know what they are doing. Adequate, that was all that was needed and you were totally incapable of delivering that, you f***ing morons :rant:

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He urged companies to 'do the right thing' and apply for the Job Retention Bonus. Launched in July it gives firms £1,000 for each previously furloughed worker who still has a job in January.

Figures released today showed that almost half the more than eight million people places on furlough remained on it in the middle of August, the most recent time period available.

Figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) today showed that the unemployment rate rose from 3.9 per cent to 4.1 per cent in the quarter to July.

How are companies meant to do they right thing if they can’t afford it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here