Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
That sounds like a Facebook “fact”. You don’t get it by just by being near someone. You have to touch something they have touched (and then touch your mouth/nose/eyes) or they cough or sneeze at you.

I don't really do news on facebook or conspiracy theories sites but I have also read about the 35 people stat,I don't remember if it was over 5 seconds though. I have also heard that you can catch it from just being within 2 metres of somebody breathing because I thought the same as you originally.

Do people comparing the figures to road deaths not understand what contagious means? Wait until the 2-7 year olds get it, those dirty little wotsits are a completely different level of superspreader. The guy on the ski trip was metophorically armed with a pea-shooter compared to a kid in Year one who would be carrying a machine gun.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It could well be. At 73 years of age, Donald Trump is squarely in the 'at-risk' category

Finally, some good news on Coronavirus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It's not an overreaction just because the death rate appears relatively low.

If this thing infects most people, having up to a 4% chance of death (while hospital capacity remains managable) is not "fine". If you are old then you can up that chance of death. If hospitals get overwhelmed, you can up it some more. They are already talking about rationing care, chosing who to try to save and who to let die in their homes. Denial of care won't be limited to those with the virus but also other seriously ill patients.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...sive-care-flu-wise-men-protocol-a9361916.html

This is not a similar situation to regular flu, that comparison is helpful only for giving people a reassuring but false sense of security.

I am not saying people should panic. I'm saying people shouldn't brush this off as unjustified hype.

It isn't.

Such an informed post although people should be panicking! Panicking a lot!

The rubbish below is filling up social media and it’s making me irate with the biggest health crisis since the bubonic plague about to strike! It’s as if the world has gone mad and stopped reading the likes of the Sun and Argus! Why are we letting ANYONE into the Country at all! Send them all to bloody Italy!

“Coronavirus Vs the Common Flu - findings per year.

If anyone wants to know about viruses and diseases ask a Doctor...

Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 81,322 cases worldwide; 59 cases in the U.S. as of Feb. 26, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 2,770 deaths reported worldwide; 0 deaths in the U.S., as of Feb. 26, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

Protect the old, the very young and other vulnerable people as you would from Influenza, with common hygenie, rest and fluids.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...onavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu”

Although the above is based on factual statistics, we should not take any notice of it when the popular media are our only source of guidance and truth. The suggestion that it’s just the same as influenza, although backed up by scientific fact, is an insult to our intelligence!

We proved the educated classes wrong with Brexit (we’ve not all lost our jobs and homes, we’re still alive and tweeting) and now we’re going to prove those bloody academics wrong with Coronavirus by making sure that everyone is ready for the impending medical disaster! For Christ’s sake don’t ask the opinion of a doctor or medical professional about Coronavirus, stick to Journos and politicians.

We are all going to die!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So Trump has put Mike Pence, a creationist who doesn't have a clue about science, in charge of his Covid 19 response team.

Well that's a huge relief

Here he is displaying his scientific brain in another sphere

ERvXkDTX0AAF6IK.jpg

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
He's running a response team not doing medical research what is the problem?

As governor of Indiana he fomented an HIV epidemic because he insisted on trying to pray about it rather than act, and went against all public health advice leading to the outbreak;

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mike-pence-indiana-hiv_n_57f53b9be4b002a7312022ef

He's also a religious fundamentalist who seems to long for the 'rapture' which is a little unsettling when in charge of the virus response for a country that is completely unprepared and has had it's pandemic response team cut by his own administration.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
As governor of Indiana he fomented an HIV epidemic because he insisted on trying to pray about it rather than act, and went against all public health advice leading to the outbreak;

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mike-pence-indiana-hiv_n_57f53b9be4b002a7312022ef

He's also a religious fundamentalist who seems to long for the 'rapture' which is a little unsettling when in charge of the virus response for a country that is completely unprepared and has had it's pandemic response team cut by his own administration.

Plus he looks genuinely creepy / scary with soulless eyes - like an extra on a Hammer horror film

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't really do news on facebook or conspiracy theories sites but I have also read about the 35 people stat,I don't remember if it was over 5 seconds though. I have also heard that you can catch it from just being within 2 metres of somebody breathing because I thought the same as you originally.
It doesn't make sense for 35 people to be catching it over a few seconds, or we'd all have it by now. We've had a dozen people come to the UK with it, but they seem to have passed it on to a total of about 0 people in the UK. It's not possible for it to be spreading to 35 people in a short space of time.

Do people comparing the figures to road deaths not understand what contagious means? Wait until the 2-7 year olds get it, those dirty little wotsits are a completely different level of superspreader.
Wait until they get it? 80,000 people (probably a lot more) have contracted the virus. Obviously 2-7-year-olds have already had it, and had a go at spreading it.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Such an informed post although people should be panicking! Panicking a lot!

The rubbish below is filling up social media and it’s making me irate with the biggest health crisis since the bubonic plague about to strike! It’s as if the world has gone mad and stopped reading the likes of the Sun and Argus! Why are we letting ANYONE into the Country at all! Send them all to bloody Italy!

“Coronavirus Vs the Common Flu - findings per year.

If anyone wants to know about viruses and diseases ask a Doctor...

Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 81,322 cases worldwide; 59 cases in the U.S. as of Feb. 26, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 2,770 deaths reported worldwide; 0 deaths in the U.S., as of Feb. 26, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

Protect the old, the very young and other vulnerable people as you would from Influenza, with common hygenie, rest and fluids.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...onavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu”

Although the above is based on factual statistics, we should not take any notice of it when the popular media are our only source of guidance and truth. The suggestion that it’s just the same as influenza, although backed up by scientific fact, is an insult to our intelligence!

We proved the educated classes wrong with Brexit (we’ve not all lost our jobs and homes, we’re still alive and tweeting) and now we’re going to prove those bloody academics wrong with Coronavirus by making sure that everyone is ready for the impending medical disaster! For Christ’s sake don’t ask the opinion of a doctor or medical professional about Coronavirus, stick to Journos and politicians.

We are all going to die!

EQSrhXPUUAAqj5Q.jpg

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Not sure why people find seasonal flu rates reassuring.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide.

That's with:

Targeted vaccinations
Targeted antiviral medication
Some learned immunity
Shorter incubation period
Lower contagion rate
Lower mortality rate

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019

How did he "forment an HIV epidemic? What are you talking about? Got a less extreme source and then explain why this is a management issue for a virus?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Thus far, I can’t say I’ve really bought into or worried about the hysteria. I’m not massively concerned about the chances of contracting this virus, or what would happen if I did. I’m possibly slightly more concerned about the prospect for my elderly parents, even if at this stage I still consider the chances of any given individual in the UK contracting it relatively low.

What I do find concerning is the impact it’s already having on the fundamentals of everyday life. The markets diving, with talk of businesses shutting down. Schools closing. Sporting events cancelled, or being played behind closed doors. Assuming we’re at the thin end the wedge, and that this virus doesn’t have some massive aversion to summer climates (early reports would suggest it does not), it’s hard to see the likes of the Euros or Olympics going ahead without major disruption.

It’s not really occurred to me until now but, hysteria or not, this could be a rough few months ahead for us all.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The population of the world is probably too many as of today, so diseases like this might actually be a good thing in the long run in controlling the population. Nature trying to redress the balance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here