Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm not sure the health care is that great in much of Hubei province.

Think your picture of China might be stuck some 20 years ago. Still no expert on this but if I got to choose between getting my health care in Hubei or in rural Uganda I know what I would go with.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Think your picture of China might be stuck some 20 years ago.
It's not. I know the cities in China have advanced greatly, but rural areas are still very poor without much healthcare.
Still no expert on this but if I got to choose between getting my health care in Hubei or in rural Uganda I know what I would go with.
Well sure, rural Uganda is hardly the most affluent area. We don't have a lot of information of where in Hubei the cases and deaths were. Some places will be better equipped to treat people, and some worse.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Jesus wept! The end of the world is nigh. I think we all need to stay calm. Perhaps if everyone washed their hands it would be a start.

And yes, I’m looking at you - the 50% who don’t wash their hands at the Amex. Disgusting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
... and then remember that if this disease gets widespread in poor countries with bad health care etc death tolls will probably be a lot higher than in China or Italy, so lets change the math from 40 million to 100 million.

But then look at the probability that the virus in its current form doesn't seem to be doing well in hot countries, so those places may well be spared the worst. Vietnam and Thailand were two of the first countries to report cases outside of China - and nothing has happened there. Singapore had a spate of cases reported but its not escalated. Indonesia, the number one holiday destination for Chinese citizens along with Thailand, still hasn't declared a single case.

The virus can of course mutate, but it does look as if heat is a strong factor in restricting transmission.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I was tempted to start a thread on this (a related topic) and apologise if there is a thread on it already:

How many of you have been ill for months with a 'cold'?

Mine started in November, with a cough that I still have (it comes and goes). Sometimes the cough is debilitating (I pulled varous intercostal and abdominal muscles a few weeks ago, while barking at the moon). My right ear has been on 50% receptivity for 6 weeks owing to congestion. Low energy....

Touch wood I've been fine for ages but had something very similar to the symptoms you described last winter as did quite a few people at my work. Bad enough to make you feel crappy but not bad enough to be off work. Think I had it for about 5 months in total. You get so used to feeling like that when you do actually feel better it's like a miracle!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
I was tempted to start a thread on this (a related topic) and apologise if there is a thread on it already:

Mine started in November, with a cough that I still have (it comes and goes). Sometimes the cough is debilitating (I pulled varous intercostal and abdominal muscles a few weeks ago, while barking at the moon). My right ear has been on 50% receptivity for 6 weeks owing to congestion. Low energy....

What worries me is that this virus is softening me up so that when the corona virus arrives I'll soon be toast.

I know at least 5 people who have had the same thing, all adults. Things like this didn't exist in the 60s. I am prepared to accept this is simply the product of viral mutation and easy trasglobal spread, because I'm not a conspiracy theory-loving looney. But on the other hand.

I think I'll scrub that appointment at work in London later today.

My wife had this cough since August. And I know others with it.

In at least three cases I know, including my wife, this continuing cough is not a sore throat / lung/ nasal drip thing, but is associated with gastro reflux - something called GERD looks the closest thing. This is where the doctors are homing in..

My wife has treated it by changing her diet. No dairy, no wheat. No fatty foods, no chocolate, no spicy foods, no tomatoes, no citrus, no mint, bare minimum of alcohol. Its a real bitch - but it is working. When she gives in and has these things (bloody hard to suddenly change your diet like that) back comes the cough and the flemmy lump at the back of the throat.

Quite why this has come from a cough we don't know, but it is a little shit.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

What worries me is that this virus is softening me up so that when the corona virus arrives I'll soon be toast.

I know at least 5 people who have had the same thing, all adults. Things like this didn't exist in the 60s. I am prepared to accept this is simply the product of viral mutation and easy trasglobal spread, because I'm not a conspiracy theory-loving looney. But on the other hand.

I went down with one at the start of October - developed into sinusitis by December - and was finally clear of it just after Christmas. Felt the lousiest I have done for a long time.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
As I mentioned over on the Cycling Geeks thread - there are reports in the media today that officials are considering cancelling the Milan-San Remo, Tirreno-Adriatico, and the Giro d'Italia bike races, because of the outbreak down there. The Giro doesn't start until May!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

We were talking about this on Saturday at golf....so many people we know, and karen and I have both had it, have a constant cold etc that comes and goes.

We’re doomed.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I woke up with a sore throat, cold, runny nose on Saturday. I'm a little better today. As coranavirus symptoms are fever and not a runny nose, I'm hoping I'm safe. I'm at work and been out over the weekend so let's hope I don't have it... [emoji6]

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Could you be more specific about what that means? What are the likes of America doing wrong?

Cartels that, when they get a chance to peer review each others' grants and research papers, they support one another, and in the meantime they do down the competition. Is one example.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My wife had this cough since August. And I know others with it.

In at least three cases I know, including my wife, this continuing cough is not a sore throat / lung/ nasal drip thing, but is associated with gastro reflux - something called GERD looks the closest thing. This is where the doctors are homing in..

My wife has treated it by changing her diet. No dairy, no wheat. No fatty foods, no chocolate, no spicy foods, no tomatoes, no citrus, no mint, bare minimum of alcohol. Its a real bitch - but it is working. When she gives in and has these things (bloody hard to suddenly change your diet like that) back comes the cough and the flemmy lump at the back of the throat.

Interesting.

It is definitely contagious so it won't be a food allergy. As it happens I am now lctose and gluten free. My guts are great, but my ENT is shit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We were talking about this on Saturday at golf....so many people we know, and karen and I have both had it, have a constant cold etc that comes and goes.

We’re doomed.

That's the spirit.

:lolol:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Interesting.

It is definitely contagious so it won't be a food allergy. As it happens I am now lctose and gluten free. My guts are great, but my ENT is shit.

Thats what you'd think isn't it :shrug: And yet a healthy person in their mid-40's catches what seems like a normal cold, as do others I know, and they all end up with the same thing, acid reflux damaging oesophagus causing cough which prompts big lifestyle change. All out of nowhere.

Mad really

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indonesia, the number one holiday destination for Chinese citizens along with Thailand, still hasn't declared a single case.
They can't declare any cases, they're all dead.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

a lot of things to cut out, espcially spices which often help. may help some inclusions, Cranberry or Blueberry juices are supposed to have antioxidants particularly good for viruses.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thats what you'd think isn't it :shrug: And yet a healthy person in their mid-40's catches what seems like a normal cold, as do others I know, and they all end up with the same thing, acid reflux damaging oesophagus causing cough which prompts big lifestyle change. All out of nowhere.

Mad really

Acid reflux....yes, I have had that. But I have had that on and off for 30 years. And of course you can't buy ranitidine now owing to contaminants. Proton pump inhibitors are good though.

I can see that acid reflux can exacerbate, or its effects be exacerbated by, a 'cold' but I can't see either the cold or the reflux being due to food intolerance, even if a change in diet is found to ameliorate the outcome. Anyway....interesting! :wave:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
a lot of things to cut out, espcially spices which often help. may help some inclusions, Cranberry or Blueberry juices are supposed to have antioxidants particularly good for viruses.

I doubt antioxidants in food will affect a virus. Aside from anything else, the little feckers usually live inside our cells, where they reprogramme our DNA for a bit, before they nip off elsewhere, and it is a very long way between the stomach (the first port of call for a juice) and a virus inside a cell up my nose. Cranberrey is used to alleviate symptoms of cystitis (albeit sufferers I have know have not exactly sworn by this; just sworn a lot) which is a bacterial infection - might you be conflating viruses with this? And, oh, hang on, it doesn't work: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...ork-no-its-a-myth-says-research-a7384346.html

One thing that may be of interest is the gut flora (bacteria). My 20 year dance with 'diverticulitis' was actually lactose intolerance, meaning the stomach wasn't producing the lactase enzyme that breaks lactose down, and the lactose was passing through to the colon where it was feeding 'unfriendly' bacteria that produced their own waste molecules that irritated my colon, and that was like setting a blue touch paper to my arse. Every day, from 7 in the morning till noon.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hopefully they will cancel sporting events and the palace game so I can play the monthly medal satdi, instead of only playing 9 and rushing to the park and ride to get there for 12:30!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports