Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
As long as Tom Hanks, Idris Elba, and Mikel Arteta get through this illness, i fancy my chances as well when it gets me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As long as Tom Hanks, Idris Elba, and Mikel Arteta get through this illness, i fancy my chances as well when it gets me.

Dunno about the others but Arteta was feeling 'considerably better' 48 hours after he said he contracted it.

Let's face the only one we care about is Hanks.

The world needs Hanks now, more than ever.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
My Grandson (and my wife) work at Sainsburys Lyons Farm Worthing, he's just got in from work and said the store is completely gutted nearly empty, He said in the end people were just abandoning their trolleys in the aisles as there was nothing to buy! :down:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Open question here, and one that the answer might not be known yet - but once you've recovered from the virus, is it definitely the case that you can't transmit it to other people?

If so, some way down the line I wonder if any measures will be taken for those people who have recovered to do key jobs like caring for sick people (if qualified), or doing food deliveries for those in isolation etc.

In fact, I wonder if any countries have considered purposefully infecting and isolating a significant percentage of their young, healthy low risk people across multiple professions, waiting a few weeks for them to recover, and then getting those people to carry on with society and support everyone else while the rest of the population ride it out in isolation. Sure, some of them would still die, but presumably fewer.

Something out of some dystopian film no doubt, but it would be interesting to know whether such a tactic would result in fewer deaths overall

It's a real shame no one is getting tested, and therefore this is mostly theory.

If I knew I'd had it for sure (i.e confirmed test) and that was that, I'd do exactly as you said and volunteer. However, without a test there is, instead, a chance I'll infect the very people I want to help. I'm not taking that chance and others shouldn't either.

I know a vaccine is being worked on but is there any way at all to test for resistance / antibodies after the fact?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This feels worth me returning to make a quick post. It's from Imperial College’s Covid19 Response Team which has been advising the UK government:

ETQVxPzWAAUKuSB.jpeg

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Dunno about the others but Arteta was feeling 'considerably better' 48 hours after he said he contracted it.

Let's face the only one we care about is Hanks.

The world needs Hanks now, more than ever.

He's posting pictures of kangaroosand vegemite on toast on twitter so I think he's doing OK.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Open question here, and one that the answer might not be known yet - but once you've recovered from the virus, is it definitely the case that you can't transmit it to other people?

If so, some way down the line I wonder if any measures will be taken for those people who have recovered to do key jobs like caring for sick people (if qualified), or doing food deliveries for those in isolation etc.

In fact, I wonder if any countries have considered purposefully infecting and isolating a significant percentage of their young, healthy low risk people across multiple professions, waiting a few weeks for them to recover, and then getting those people to carry on with society and support everyone else while the rest of the population ride it out in isolation. Sure, some of them would still die, but presumably fewer.

Something out of some dystopian film no doubt, but it would be interesting to know whether such a tactic would result in fewer deaths overall
Sure some of them will still die? Sign me up!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's a while (a week or two) after your symptoms have ended that you are no longer infectious. You could still pick up the virus on your hand from someone else, and pass it to someone else via poor hygiene, so you still need to keep good hygiene.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
It is far more serious than many think many people are at deaths door right now including some young people according to 1 hospital

I saw a few of these stories too. A bit of digging and you find they all seem to have had conditions that make them susceptible. One fearmongering person put out that their 25 year old boyfriend was at deaths door, put a whole paragraph of fear only to slip in the fact that he previously had a full on bout of TB! A few more were major asthma sufferers. It's dishonest and not right to be scaring the younger people who should be just fine to fight this thing off, it could hurt everyone if they start piling into hospital beds because of this fear mongering.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here