Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mahmoud Dahoud (Loaned to VfB Stuttgart 31/01/24)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If him and Milner are basically signed, it seems very un Brighton like to have 3 signings locked in before the transfer window even opens. Are we securing players quickly that we know there'll be a lot of interest in? Or is this an RDZ thing so they have maximum time to learn his methods?
In my memory, it's not just un-Brighton like, it's unique. I can't remember any EPL team doing this much confirmed business before the previous season had finished. I'm sure somebody with a better memory will confirm whether anyone has done this before. We know that we're always looking for the market advantages where we can find them. This seems like another example of out of the box thinking.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It's got to be preempting losing Mac and Moises and getting too close to the the end of the transfer window and still needing obvious signings. Now we have made three key signings we can chill a bit and just pick up one or two more at the right time and right price. I would love Alex Scott to miraculously be announced before the season is out though.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
In my memory, it's not just un-Brighton like, it's unique. I can't remember any EPL team doing this much confirmed business before the previous season had finished. I'm sure somebody with a better memory will confirm whether anyone has done this before. We know that we're always looking for the market advantages where we can find them. This seems like another example of out of the box thinking.
I believe the club have only confirmed Joao Pedro.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've been thinking about this too, and I think there can really only be one explanation...

The recruitment team all have holidays booked as soon as the season ends, so are getting all their work done before that.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I've been thinking about this too, and I think there can really only be one explanation...

The recruitment team all have holidays booked as soon as the season ends, so are getting all their work done before that.
:ROFLMAO: Or they're all serving their notices before moving to their massively paid new jobs.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I don't ever remember a domestic season finishing last week in May with the cup final in June, so that could be a factor?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I don't ever remember a domestic season finishing last week in May with the cup final in June, so that could be a factor?
Perhaps, but last season finished on 22/05 and we're not there yet, and nobody else seems to be doing it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If him and Milner are basically signed, it seems very un Brighton like to have 3 signings locked in before the transfer window even opens. Are we securing players quickly that we know there'll be a lot of interest in? Or is this an RDZ thing so they have maximum time to learn his methods?
RDZ will certainly be putting some pressure but the overriding reason is that we're in an entirely different situation to previous summer transfer windows. We can now say that we're a more or less established top ten club after consecutive finishes, and we also have a reputation around the world as a club doing things right. Even more, we've got loads of money now. This hasn't been the case throughout Bloom's tenure, but it is now. We got c140m in transfer fees last summer, c25m in January and about the same amount for potter and his merry men. higher finishes, longer cup runs and potentially European football all help on this front too. We'll also accrue big sums this summer through the sales of Ali Mac, probably Caicedo (note the number of MFs we're signing already) and potentially Sanchez too. Doing business early makes business sense in our situation, and Bloom knows a thing or two about business. As @Greg Bobkin says, it also means that we won't have to pay a premium in the aftermath of the sales of outgoing players. It also gives the new players plenty of time to bed in in what will potentially be RDZ's only full season at the club.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It might be an accounts thing as well? We've made a lot of money with the sale of Biss, Cucurella, Trossard, Maupay and the money we got for Potter and the gang so maybe it makes accounting sense to spend some of it in the same accounting year?

Although it's only Pedro(so far...) that has cost a fee so that could be a load of old bollocks.
Although Mahmoud is on a free he's bound to be getting a super mega big signing bonus

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Sounds like we want all our business done before jetting off to the States. Will be an unusual pre-season for us, so makes sense to have everyone in place before the US tournament.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
From the press or a SAUCE? Obviously looks extremely likely.
The players I referred to in the post were Pedro and Milner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here