Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Magpies (warning contains bird watching not Geordies)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I once came home from work to a magpie sat on the books shelves in our old front room. He (I think it was a male as he was very big) had fallen down the chimney, but was uninjured. Was quite surreal to see such a magnificent looking bird sat there calm as you like as I walked in the room. Caught him in a tea towel after a chase around the room. He soon calmed down again once completely covered with the towel. Walked down to the little copse down the round and set him free.

I know they are predator birds but I can't help liking them. Very clever, a given with Corvids, and quite stunning plumage when seen up close.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
As I am an cat lover too, thought you might like this video :ohmy:

beats a hasty retreat......there are a good few on youtube like that ..thanks

jackdaws are really nasty too
we had them in our chimney when we lived in Wales (everybody did) and they were always after blue tit eggs and chicks in our garden and but for the fact we had loads of cats they might just have got some (the chicks used the brambles and the cats could not be bothered ....lazy sods)

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
My imaginary cap certainly feels over-doffed thanks to the plentitude of those wily hellbringers. Time to hire a team of magpie-flesh-loving falcons to patrol the skies and strike those white-tailed fiends to task. After that, when there's too many falcons, their natural enemy, the aardvark, will be brought out of retirement to longthintonguelick them to death.

Personally I've always thought Aardvark was way too smug from being first in the dictionary! There is only creature up for this job and perhaps they could also be utilized to control the feral youths on our street corners.

The Honey badger!!!!!!!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Must confess the bad comments about magpies have taken me aback a little, I had no idea they were such predators, just think they look lovely. We have some nesting nearby but it doesn't seem to have prevented some blackbirds making home in our garden and other birds seem to visit fairly regularly.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Way too many, along with Maede's Ball I have to salute a Magpie and ask him how his wife is when I meet one. Takes ages to get anywhere nowadays.

burstead

Not a Registered User
Jul 24, 2010
i hate the fact that they wear those little burberry caps and sit on my garden fence drinking strongbow and smoking jazz fags all day.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Must confess the bad comments about magpies have taken me aback a little, I had no idea they were such predators, just think they look lovely. We have some nesting nearby but it doesn't seem to have prevented some blackbirds making home in our garden and other birds seem to visit fairly regularly.

I'm quite surprised too.
I've seen a few more magpies around the Preston Park area, and it doesn't seem to be affecting other birds that much as we've now a fair few collared doves, blackbirds and tits(i think) and from the sound of things a lot of songbirds. We also have a lot of squirrels and cats around and they don't seem to be doing too much to the bird population either

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
I'm quite surprised too.
I've seen a few more magpies around the Preston Park area, and it doesn't seem to be affecting other birds that much as we've now a fair few collared doves, blackbirds and tits(i think) and from the sound of things a lot of songbirds. We also have a lot of squirrels and cats around and they don't seem to be doing too much to the bird population either
Exactly- all birds will eat smaller, slower birds and if there was no prey, they would move off to where there was a better supply. Birds produce a surplus of young to allow for predation- we would be knee-deep in blue tits if most of them survived.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Exactly- all birds will eat smaller, slower birds and if there was no prey, they would move off to where there was a better supply. Birds produce a surplus of young to allow for predation- we would be knee-deep in blue tits if most of them survived.

That's my mind made up. Larsen trap comes out tonight. I shall do my duty for those poor little tits.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Way too many, along with Maede's Ball I have to salute a Magpie and ask him how his wife is when I meet one. Takes ages to get anywhere nowadays.

This for em also + I have to whistle too. It's a total pain in the arse. Culling would be good.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
ateby2yt.jpg
I counted eight on a Worthing rooftop today! EIGHT!

One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret,
Never to be told.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here