Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Magnificent 1901 food thread lunchtime special!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yep, how I miss standing on the open terraces, with my cup of Bovril and steak & gristle pie, back in the good old days..

Try something revolutionary - not eating at football match! As for open terraces, I’d have em back in a heartbeat. That really was better in the good old days (and don’t you or anyone else fecking dare throw hillsborough back by reply as if that was a weekly occurrence)

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
A friends Company purchased for first time 6 corporate tickets at I think about £300 per head yesterday. Speaking to him today he had nothing but praise for the experience and thought food and service was very good.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A friends Company purchased for first time 6 corporate tickets at I think about £300 per head yesterday. Speaking to him today he had nothing but praise for the experience and thought food and service was very good.

There are levels ... that’s gets you waiter service in plush restaurants, a nice meal and you get to meet an Albion legend. Very well run.

Most 1901 punters don’t want to pay for that, hence the cheapskate hotdog.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Little bit disingenuous as it is from the "Gold Menu" which is the burger/hot dog fare in lieu of a kiosk. It is normally pre-prepared, wrapped in foil and left under a hot lamp. I have had the burgers before and they would have been fine had they not been luke warm. But this was constructed by opening a pack of too big rolls and dumping a sausage on top. Knowing the onions would be soggy and cold, I asked for without but probably should have bulked out the voids.

I do love flushing out the self important no marks who think if you don't shovel MSG ridden mechanically recovered pig product down your gob then you aren't a real fan, though.

And what exactly is so bad about mechanically recovered pig product? :shrug: Waste not, want not etc etc.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There are levels ... that’s gets you waiter service in plush restaurants, a nice meal and you get to meet an Albion legend. Very well run.

Most 1901 punters don’t want to pay for that, hence the cheapskate hotdog.

A friend of mine had the Sunday lunch in HB’s and said the quality of food and service were fantastic, and great value for money. Added bonus was seating overlooking the pitch.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Don't usually partake of the food but a lunchtime kickoff meant I gave it a go. And wow - what a treat. Everything pictured for just £7.90. I felt like royalty. Not just the amazing sausage and farm fresh bread but actual real Kenco instant coffee in a paper cup. I passed on the onions before actually seeing the food and glad I did as it would have ruined the open spaces of the roll which were quite clearly there to blend in with the swooping Downs.

View attachment 115934

B699CB70-6D8C-461B-81D8-72DA6C5E401A.jpeg

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The East 1901 ran out of everything, pies, sausage rolls by half time, they sent someone down to the concourse, and they'd run out as well.
Some top class stock control from Sussex's premier caterers.............

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
And I thought the motorway services back in the 80s whilst keeping up an ever present attendance to away matches were overpriced and underwhelming. That is so very poor

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Don't ALL the seats overlook the pitch then? Do some overlook the car park? :moo:

What an odd comment. Some tables are by the windows and overlook the pitch, some are situated in the middle of the restaurant and some are situated on the west side (with no direct pitch view).

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
What an odd comment. Some tables are by the windows and overlook the pitch, some are situated in the middle of the restaurant and some are situated on the west side (with no direct pitch view).

But why would you want a seat overlooking the pitch when you're eating lunch? Unless the game is actually on, in which case why would you be eating lunch?

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
That photo doesn't surprise me at all. With the exception of the pies, the food in the standard 1901 lounges is overpriced and rubbish. I'm still happy to pay for 1901 because of the relaxed lounge environment to sit with friends and beers before/after, and the royal luxury of getting both a drink and a pee at half time without queuing. Plus I like to read the programme, and they're free in 1901 so that offsets another few quid each game.

But they can sod off if they think I'm spending my hard earned on food in there. The burgers/fish and chips etc outside are cheaper and ten times better quality.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Try something revolutionary - not eating at football match!

That comment has some merit for a 3pm kick off- not so much, when people are going to be at the ground from 11.30 - 15.00.

FWIW I had a steak and ale PIE in the 1901 MWB lounge, and it was BEAUTIFUL.

(Obviously its the SAME pie that was available everywhere else in the ground :jester: though I did get to sit in a CHAIR, at a TABLE, and eat it with a FORK. :thumbsup:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
But why would you want a seat overlooking the pitch when you're eating lunch? Unless the game is actually on, in which case why would you be eating lunch?

Why wouldn’t you? Surely you know that you can’t watch the match from the restaurants while the match is on.

:dunce:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
That photo doesn't surprise me at all. With the exception of the pies, the food in the standard 1901 lounges is overpriced and rubbish. I'm still happy to pay for 1901 because of the relaxed lounge environment to sit with friends and beers before/after, and the royal luxury of getting both a drink and a pee at half time without queuing. Plus I like to read the programme, and they're free in 1901 so that offsets another few quid each game.

But they can sod off if they think I'm spending my hard earned on food in there. The burgers/fish and chips etc outside are cheaper and ten times better quality.
That is about the size of it.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
That comment has some merit for a 3pm kick off- not so much, when people are going to be at the ground from 11.30 - 15.00.

FWIW I had a steak and ale PIE in the 1901 MWB lounge, and it was BEAUTIFUL.

(Obviously its the SAME pie that was available everywhere else in the ground :jester: though I did get to sit in a CHAIR, at a TABLE, and eat it with a FORK. :thumbsup:
Didn't learn my lesson and should have gone for this option. Not a massive fan of pies but at least you know what you are getting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here