Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Madonna - the greatest?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
And yet, if she were to die tomorrow, the few people who are being mean would be crawling out of the woodwork in the RIP thread with platitudes and memorials of how gifted she was.

Yes, it's "cool" to pretend not to like Madonna - but I think it's clear we are all in agreement that she is one of the - if not the - greatest performer of all time.

I bet they wouldn't and no we aren't.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Stefani and Minogue aren't even in the same universe as Madonna. Madge was a global cultural pioneering mega star, and whilst vocally may not have been the best, created timeless scene leading pop music through at least 3 decades.

She is exactly in their sphere.

Nothing special as a singer, big fashion component to their image and a pop culture darling.

Madonna is a lip syncher. Anyone who lip synchs isn't anything special as an artist.

Plenty of artists who have lip synched have sold records though,

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
And yet, if she were to die tomorrow, the few people who are being mean would be crawling out of the woodwork in the RIP thread with platitudes and memorials of how gifted she was.

Yes, it's "cool" to pretend not to like Madonna - but I think it's clear we are all in agreement that she is one of the - if not the - greatest performer of all time.

I love the suggestion that if someone says they don't like her then they must be 'pretending' :lolol::lolol:

But yeah I agree she is probably up there with the best performers of all time. She has been doing it for a long time.

Number 17 on this list https://www.businessinsider.com/bes...l-time-2016-9#17-madonna-645-million-units-34

Although imagine if those of us who pretend not to like her were actually honest and bought a few units.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Madonna has arguably been the greatest at plugging into popular culture and catching the right mood at the right time, often aligning herself with key writers and producers giving her reinvention after reinvention. I doubt anyone else has done more with their talent for so long.

That is the key to longevity, and for what's it's worth I really like her work.

However, I'd argue that Bowie did more with his talent for longer. His career went from the 60s right through to his death with constant reinventions.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
This thread reminds me of the time my dad disapproved of all the 'fuss' made over the death of George Michael.

"Rick Parfitt didn't get all this fuss," he said. "And he was just as good." :laugh:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
This thread reminds me of the time my dad disapproved of all the 'fuss' made over the death of George Michael.

"Rick Parfitt didn't get all this fuss," he said. "And he was just as good." :laugh:

I remember when George Michael died, as with Prince, several friends and people I know really well were on social media with their "tributes" about what a legend/special talent they were, when I know for a fact they never listened to a single album or either artist in their lives, and in many cases didn't like/know their stuff from Adam.

Does my head in. Sometimes it's nice to appreciate brilliant talents while they are actually alive, hence this thread.

People like Her Majesty, and legends like Dick Van Dyke, Angela Lansbury, Brucie (before we lost him) - there will be gushing RIP threads when they die - from hypocrites.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I remember when George Michael died, as with Prince, several friends and people I know really well were on social media with their "tributes" about what a legend/special talent they were, when I know for a fact they never listened to a single album or either artist in their lives, and in many cases didn't like/know their stuff from Adam.

Does my head in. Sometimes it's nice to appreciate brilliant talents while they are actually alive, hence this thread.

People like Her Majesty, and legends like Dick Van Dyke, Angela Lansbury, Brucie (before we lost him) - there will be gushing RIP threads when they die - from hypocrites.

George Michael from a talent perspective was up there with the likes of Freddie Mercury, Bowie and Prince . No question . Not everyone liked his music but as a songwriter , music arranger and vocalist he had very few peers .

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I agree Bette Midler is super talented , not quite up there vocally with the likes of Streisand but not too far behind . Personality wise Bette is no doubt in a league of her own !

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yeah I agree, really I am more interested in song writers than performers as such.

Beth Orton is the one that springs to mind for me.

Not really the same thing though.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Joan Armatrading, Kate Bush and Diana Ross.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Interesting this thread wasn't pinned considering the UNANIMOUS praise Madonna has had in this thread. She is truly the "voice of the Albion".

I am gathering signatures for our pre-match entertainment to be Madonna related. We don't have to be OTT about it, I don't want this to turn into a farce or not be taken seriously.

I'm just suggesting the lads might get more hyped coming out to "Get Into the Groove" than GOSBTS.

It might really help our home form whilst also giving our fans a chance to hear a classic from one of our collectively favourite artistes.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Interesting this thread wasn't pinned considering the UNANIMOUS praise Madonna has had in this thread. She is truly the "voice of the Albion".

I am gathering signatures for our pre-match entertainment to be Madonna related. We don't have to be OTT about it, I don't want this to turn into a farce or not be taken seriously.

I'm just suggesting the lads might get more hyped coming out to "Get Into the Groove" than GOSBTS.

It might really help our home form whilst also giving our fans a chance to hear a classic from one of our collectively favourite artistes.

Oh dear, bouncing your own thread could be considered hanky panky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here