Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Madeleine McCann...

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Agreed to a point. I am often in charge of my nieces and nephews. Would I put them to bed, leave their house and go to the other end of the road to drink with mates at the local? No I wouldn't. It's okay to say when you are a parent you look at other parents etc but there are certain things you should just know. Someone who doesn't drive probably knows it's not a good idea to drive 90mph through a town the same as a non-parent knows you don't leave your kids alone in a foreign country to go out with your mates. It's all very well taking the "Only parents know" line but that's bullshit. It's hardly hindsight is it?

Yep, he was driving 90mph down a one way street the wrong way. Well, how was he to know? Hindsight is a wonderful thing. What poppycock.

They left the kids alone out of earshot with no listening device in a foreign country while they went and got sizzled with mates? She went missing!!??? What! Oh, if only we'd known.

No-one is stood round scratching their heads thinking "How could this have happened"? We all know why it happened.

As professional people and supposedly responsible I would say they neglected here to the point they should have be prosecuted.
They turned downed the offer of a baby sitter and left a pair of 18 month old babies along with 3 year old maddie alone unsupervised in a foreign country whilst they went off out for the night.

That is neglect, I don't think they had anything to do with her disappearance but they put her in that vulnerable position for which they should answer to.

Can anyone on here honestly say they would leave 3 children under 4 alone unsupervised whilst going out for the night?
Never mind in the supposedly safety of your own home but this was in a foreign country where gated communities are needed for security.

Why are people going on about it being a "foreign country", as if that is relevant to the risk? It's not as if child abduction never happens in this country, is it? Is there any evidence that Portugal is a particularly risky place for child abduction -- I've not heard of any comparative statistics on this, but maybe those who are attacking the McCanns' super-negligence are aware of some of this kind of evidence?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Why are people going on about it being a "foreign country", as if that is relevant to the risk? It's not as if child abduction never happens in this country, is it? Is there any evidence that Portugal is a particularly risky place for child abduction -- I've not heard of any comparative statistics on this, but maybe those who are attacking the McCanns' super-negligence are aware of some of this kind of evidence?

I hadn't either, so thought I'd go looking. According to this site http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_kid-crime-kidnappings , in 2006 Portugal ranked as the 7th worst country in the world with 5.25 kidnappings/100,000 population. The UK doesn't make the list at all (therefore, <0.02/100,000).

No idea whether their data stacks up, but there it is, fwiw.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
"Although Mr Smith admitted he was not wearing his glasses at the time he later said he thought the man could have been Gerry McCann.

Key witness: Irishman Martin Smith, pictured, was in the resort with his family when Maddie disappeared
This is an impossibility as dozens of witnesses confirmed he was at the holiday complex at

10pm. British police have also said they are certain that Mr McCann has nothing to do with his daughter’s (dis)appearance. sic"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...h-family-seen-Maddie-taken.html#ixzz2htOD5JhF
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

No-one can have seen him carrying her because there are MANY witnesses to him being in the complex at the time of the sightings.

I would be interested to know the source for that police statement, as there is a disparity between what the media are reporting and what is actually the case. E.g. the media are asserting that this disappearance is abduction, whereas the language used by the police doesn't rule anything out.
The actual words of the DCI at 25:55 are "Madeleine McCann's disappearance does on one reading of the evidence have the hallmarks of a pre-planned abduction."

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I would be interested to know the source for that police statement, as there is a disparity between what the media are reporting and what is actually the case. E.g. the media are asserting that this disappearance is abduction, whereas the language used by the police doesn't rule anything out.

Seeing as the link is to an article in the Mail it MUST be accurate...right?

The Police wont rule anything out unless they are 100%. I must admit, that article is the first time I have seen a media statement that the met have definitively said it wasnt him.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Seeing as the link is to an article in the Mail it MUST be accurate...right?

The Police wont rule anything out unless they are 100%. I must admit, that article is the first time I have seen a media statement that the met have definitively said it wasnt him.

I'm also curious to know who these dozens of witnesses are. My understanding is that Gerry was supposedly in the company of the Tapas 7 and that no-one else was able to vouch for him at that time. If I didn't know better, I'd suspect that the Mail have an agenda here that calls for them to make up some "facts".

Let's look at what the PJ files actually say about this:

This witness was heard again by the Drogheda Irish police on 23-01-08, having been shown a video clip of Gerald McCann’s departure by plane carrying one of the twins. This witness maintains his belief that judging by the posture, there seemed to be a probability of 60-80% that the person seen by him at about 21.55 at the previously mentioned place, was Madeleine’s father. At this time, Gerald’s presence at the restaurant was confirmed by his friends and has not been denied by restaurant employees.

So where are these mysterious dozens of witnesses?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Mainly because you don't know the area or the locals well, the child is in a strange place which can be unsettling as was proven when they awoke crying and if summat did go wrong you may have a harder time getting it sorted. As was proven to be the case.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Seems like this tragic case might be a step closer to being solved. The anecdotal evidence is damning but will they have enough to nail the German - perhaps he’ll admit it?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Seems like this tragic case might be a step closer to being solved. The anecdotal evidence is damning but will they have enough to nail the German - perhaps he’ll admit it?

More than 6 years between posts!

The fact that he changed the registration of his car on the day after is a huge coincidence if he's not the abductor. I hope you're right and he tells everything he knows. The family deserve some closure if possible.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I’m conscious that there have been many false dawns before, but this latest development is the top story on the BBC, Sky News et al right now and the police appear to be giving the story a degree of credence.

Are we a step closer to finding out what happened to young Madeleine? As a father of a three year old girl myself, her thirteen year disappearance doesn’t bear thinking about.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Mainly because you don't know the area or the locals well, the child is in a strange place which can be unsettling as was proven when they awoke crying and if summat did go wrong you may have a harder time getting it sorted. As was proven to be the case.

Kids can do mad things even when you’re in the house, so going off drinking with your mates anywhere, on holiday or at home, is a big risk.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
There will be a few nervous people out there hoping it wasn't the German.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Kids can do mad things even when you’re in the house, so going off drinking with your mates anywhere, on holiday or at home, is a big risk.

Gosh. That conversation ended a long time ago.

I stayed at that resort a year before the child disappeared and know the layout. To leave young kids alone in the accomodation while having it large in the bar seemed scandalous to me at the time, and even more so now. Carelessness...

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Gosh. That conversation ended a long time ago.

I stayed at that resort a year before the child disappeared and know the layout. To leave young kids alone in the accomodation while having it large in the bar seemed scandalous to me at the time, and even more so now. Carelessness...

Just curious, was it an expensive place to stay ? Always thought they could have afforded a more up market hotel.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just curious, was it an expensive place to stay ? Always thought they could have afforded a more up market hotel.

Not a hotel at all. It is a holiday park, with small 'villas', apartments, gardens, pools and some food and drink outlets. Praia da Luz. Very quiet. Nice beach.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh is that all...ive always thought you could have afforded a much more upmarket place than that :whistle:

Take a look on Google maps. It is quite nice. I posted about my encounter with Germaine Greer, there, on another thread some years ago - won't repeat it here :facepalm:

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
The case was featured last night on the German ZDF channel, 'Aktenzeichen XY Ungelöst' programme. A programme that features unsolved cases in the form of reconstructions, often horribly graphic. As somebody mentioned, there are so many anecdotal connections of the case to this guy and combined with his previous form, suggest it's a solid line of inquiry to pursue. Who knows why this guy wasn't on the radar earlier? It's been such a long time it's hard to remember the timetable of events. Whichever, the whole case appeared botched by Portuguese police right from the outset.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Who knows why this guy wasn't on the radar earlier?.

Apparently he was, even some time ago, but was ruled out at one point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here