Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Madeleine McCann...

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
What distance is OK?

Is it OK, for example, for parents to sit at the end of their garden at home on a Summer's evening, with their child(ren) indoors asleep?

Would depend on how secure you're house was surely?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Would depend on how secure you're house was surely?

Really? Do people live in such a state of insecurity that they lock all their windows on summer evenings if they decide to sit in the Garden?

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Really? Do people live in such a state of insecurity that they lock all their windows on summer evenings if they decide to sit in the Garden?

No but if they want to leave their children asleep in the house it would be sensible to have it secure. Why does this confuse you?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If one of the parents had stayed with the kids Maddiw would not have been abducted. THAT IS A FACT. indisputable. It's not the same as losing a kid in a supermarket or being in your back garden. They ****ed up. FACT. I don't think they should be prosecuted, been punished enough and of course they have to live with the knowledge that it if weren't for them putting themselves first and their kid's second they would still have Maddie. You can't refut e that. Those are facts.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Ah yes...the old sedation theory. Kate and Gerry drugged the kids so they can go out for dinner undisturbed. Only problem with that is that the twins proved negative for any sedatives and madeleines hair samples only showed intermittent paracetamol ( calpol) administration as, I suspect, would anyone's kids.

It's nigh on impossible to predictably sedate children with anaesthetics. If they had the chances are that the twins would have been obviously drugged when the searching began.

Still, evil doctors who drug their kids are everywhere right?

There have been a number of reports that the twins were found to be sedated and remained so during the police search. Hence question 20:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/madeleinemccann/2500864/Madeleine-McCann-Kate-McCann-refused-to-answer-48-questions-from-Portuguese-police.html

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If one of the parents had stayed with the kids Maddiw would not have been abducted. THAT IS A FACT. indisputable. It's not the same as losing a kid in a supermarket or being in your back garden. They ****ed up. FACT. I don't think they should be prosecuted, been punished enough and of course they have to live with the knowledge that it if weren't for them putting themselves first and their kid's second they would still have Maddie. You can't refut e that. Those are facts.

Naturally. And hindsight is absolutely wonderful in this regard. When you become a parent, you tend to see other parents. One of the first things you quickly learn is everyone approaches parenting in different ways. You will almost immediately see other parents do things that you wouldn't do yourself, and it's odds on that people will look at aspects of your own parenting ways with disdain. In most cases, no one is wrong and no one is right - they are simply different.

Would I leave my kids in the way the McCanns did? No, I don't think so. If we're away from home and in a hotel or similar, we tend to 'tag team' as you suggest with one of us staying in the room, whilst other gets to enjoy whatever else is going on - swapping if possible. I do know of people who have done what the McCanns did and, absolutely no harm has befallen any of them.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
What distance is OK?

Is it OK, for example, for parents to sit at the end of their garden at home on a Summer's evening, with their child(ren) indoors asleep?

Next room, balcony, verandah.....at those ages leaving them is a no no.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Naturally. And hindsight is absolutely wonderful in this regard. When you become a parent, you tend to see other parents. One of the first things you quickly learn is everyone approaches parenting in different ways. You will almost immediately see other parents do things that you wouldn't do yourself, and it's odds on that people will look at aspects of your own parenting ways with disdain. In most cases, no one is wrong and no one is right - they are simply different.

Would I leave my kids in the way the McCanns did? No, I don't think so. If we're away from home and in a hotel or similar, we tend to 'tag team' as you suggest with one of us staying in the room, whilst other gets to enjoy whatever else is going on - swapping if possible. I do know of people who have done what the McCanns did and, absolutely no harm has befallen any of them.

Agreed to a point. I am often in charge of my nieces and nephews. Would I put them to bed, leave their house and go to the other end of the road to drink with mates at the local? No I wouldn't. It's okay to say when you are a parent you look at other parents etc but there are certain things you should just know. Someone who doesn't drive probably knows it's not a good idea to drive 90mph through a town the same as a non-parent knows you don't leave your kids alone in a foreign country to go out with your mates. It's all very well taking the "Only parents know" line but that's bullshit. It's hardly hindsight is it?

Yep, he was driving 90mph down a one way street the wrong way. Well, how was he to know? Hindsight is a wonderful thing. What poppycock.

They left the kids alone out of earshot with no listening device in a foreign country while they went and got sizzled with mates? She went missing!!??? What! Oh, if only we'd known.

No-one is stood round scratching their heads thinking "How could this have happened"? We all know why it happened.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Before this event occurred no one would even think that someone would have entered an apartment to abduct a child. Normally these events happen from the street, parks, and public areas when the parent’s backs are turned, or can even involve a family friend.

Other people’s hindsight doesn’t help the McCann’s and it doesn’t tell them anything they do not know already.

If anything good can come of it, it is a lesson to others highlighting that this can happen and brings to point public awareness. The McCann’s have been punished enough without all the dark twisted conspiracy theorist getting excited about it for their own glorification and morbid fascination on the subject.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Before this event occurred no one would even think that someone would have entered an apartment to abduct a child. Normally these events happen from the street, parks, and public areas when the parent’s backs are turned, or can even involve a family friend.

Other people’s hindsight doesn’t help the McCann’s and it doesn’t tell them anything they do not know already.

If anything good can come of it, it is a lesson to others highlighting that this can happen and brings to point public awareness. The McCann’s have been punished enough without all the dark twisted conspiracy theorist getting excited about it for their own glorification and morbid fascination on the subject.

Completely agree with your last paragraph.

I would love it if they found her safe and well. However if she is alive then psychologically there are going to be lots of issues whatever the outcome.

Still very sad

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread so far is that the complex that the McCanns were staying at was a gated complex, maybe this lulled them into a false sense of security and made them think it would be safe to leave them unattended whilst they ate near by. This may not have been the course of action that they would have followed if they had been in a seemingly less secure environment.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Really? I think that's wrong. It would certainly be a concern of mine. The rest of your post however makes a modicum of sense.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
. I do know of people who have done what the McCanns did and, absolutely no harm has befallen any of them.

Some people drink drive and get home safely, it doesn't mean that proves it's a sensible thing to do.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread so far is that the complex that the McCanns were staying at was a gated complex, maybe this lulled them into a false sense of security and made them think it would be safe to leave them unattended whilst they ate near by. This may not have been the course of action that they would have followed if they had been in a seemingly less secure environment.

Not entirely true. There was access to their apartments that lay outside the gated perimeter, facing directly onto a carpark with full public acess and a side gate that was easily accessable by the public.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

But their apartments were outside of this gated bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here