Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Madeleine McCann...

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I don't understand why they felt the need to go and check on the kids every so often. Either they were safe and sound or they were not. I put my kids to bed and tuck them in on my way to bed. I don't go upstairs and check on them every few minutes because I know they are fine. If I was anywhere where I thought I needed to check up on them regularly I would not leave them there.

It is similar to when my son was very ill with croup. Either me or my wife were with him at all times. He was really struggling to breathe. Would we leave him and check every half hour? Of course not.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agree with BigGully above. I am stunned that there are people on here who are blaming the parents for this due to their negligence.
I just can't understand how any loving parent's first reaction would be to blame the parents.
There are people that think the parents know something, and I don't agree with a lot of what's been said. But just picking you up on a point: blaming the parents may not be people's first reaction, this case is not new.

Whilst I don't fully blame the parents, I do feel that they were negligent. Like if someone crashes into your car and you're not wearing a seat belt. It's not your fault they crashed into you, but you have contributory negligence for your injuries. I have a 5 and 6 year old, one of which can't walk, so it's a fair bit of work every time I have to go up the road to collect his sister, for example. But I've never left either of them in the house alone. I think most people are the same, they wouldn't leave a young child at home alone, but I know plenty of people who do. On the school run I've seen plenty of mum's who've left their youngest at home asleep, while they collect their older child - they're not doing it on a daily basis, but it's happened and they're fine with the idea of leaving them for half an hour or more. That's not something I could do though.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
There are people that think the parents know something, and I don't agree with a lot of what's been said. But just picking you up on a point: blaming the parents may not be people's first reaction, this case is not new.

Whilst I don't fully blame the parents, I do feel that they were negligent. Like if someone crashes into your car and you're not wearing a seat belt. It's not your fault they crashed into you, but you have contributory negligence for your injuries. I have a 5 and 6 year old, one of which can't walk, so it's a fair bit of work every time I have to go up the road to collect his sister, for example. But I've never left either of them in the house alone. I think most people are the same, they wouldn't leave a young child at home alone, but I know plenty of people who do. On the school run I've seen plenty of mum's who've left their youngest at home asleep, while they collect their older child - they're not doing it on a daily basis, but it's happened and they're fine with the idea of leaving them for half an hour or more. That's not something I could do though.

I made a woman furious who did just this. We were chatting at school, I asked where youngest was, she said at home sleeping and I said that is a silly thing to do (words to that effect). She told me it was up to her how she cared for her baby. I said "I guess but if it happens again you might get a call from social services."

Yes I might be a miserable sod but I think it is important.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Am I missing something? I dont understand why it has taken 6 years for an e-fit photo. 6 years for key witnesses to say they saw a man carrying a child on that night, and 6 years to work out the exact timings of what went on. Baffled

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
hqdefault.jpeg
Nail.Head.On.

Anyone whose ever been on a package to the costas KNOWS that a lot of parents leave the kids in the Apartment while they go on the lash. the difference? They're common people, the McCanns are middle class Doctors so we can all tut tut at them.

What the McCanns did...in a gated community in a quiet seaside town before 10 in the evening...I can't say I've done the same thing myself, but can completely understand that they felt quite safe and secure there.

They've suffered enough ffs.btheir baby has gone,Christ knows where, and they're in hell every day of their lives
totally agree BH , a lot of reverse snobbery on here , I come from a generation where kids were left in chalets , as in the photo.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I made a woman furious who did just this. We were chatting at school, I asked where youngest was, she said at home sleeping and I said that is a silly thing to do (words to that effect). She told me it was up to her how she cared for her baby. I said "I guess but if it happens again you might get a call from social services."

What would people on Nsc agree would be an acceptable age to leave a child/teenager at home alone.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Those e-fits are useless. Most witness statements are viewed with speculation if written more than a few hours after an incident. A photo fit and a new time-line 6 years later is very unlikely to result in an arrest and would get chucked out of court if it even got that far.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The "gated" community wasn't quite that. There was access to the apartments that were not within the perimeter.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What would people on Nsc agree would be an acceptable age to leave a child/teenager at home alone.

For me, I can't answer that question without knowing whether the child was asleep (less likely to get into trouble than when awake) and for how long. A 10-year old left asleep for 5 minutes is very different than an 10-year old left wide awake for 3 hours.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Oh OK, so what exactly are you saving her child from, whats your genuine fear for that child and the likelihood of your concern actually ever happening ?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Wow. I do hope that you never do anything that could be considered unwise by another section of society. I know people who consider speeding (at all, ever) an act of reckless endangerment. I'm sure they'd be happy to police you if you wanted them to.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
A few years ago, my stepdaughter told her mum and me that her dad had gone to work all day and left her at home all day. She was 6!!! We obviously told social sevices who just sent a letter to him slapping his wrist. All the while no authority wishes to act on these things, the more people will do it unfortunately.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
A few years ago, my stepdaughter told her mum and me that her dad had gone to work all day and left her at h

I think bluenitsuj has been abducted. Anyone checked on him last half hour?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
£5million of Met Police funding to re open the case, regardless of the rights and wrongs of the whole tragic chain of events I wonder how Stephen Lawrence's parents feel with that kind of money being spent on an incident that didn't even take place in this country let alone London?

Stephen who ?? If you're going to use examples then at least use one we've heard of , anyone would think that this Stephen Lawrence was never off our screens, and didn't have lots of public figures speaking about his case or his mother constantly being feted by anyone who thinks there's a vote in it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Stephen who ?? If you're going to use examples then at least use one we've heard of , anyone would think that this Stephen Lawrence was never off our screens, and didn't have lots of public figures speaking about his case or his mother constantly being feted by anyone who thinks there's a vote in it.
You've been spending too much time with those mongs on House Of Fun.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Oh OK, so what exactly are you saving her child from, whats your genuine fear for that child and the likelihood of your concern actually ever happening ?

Wow. I do hope that you never do anything that could be considered unwise by another section of society. I know people who consider speeding (at all, ever) an act of reckless endangerment. I'm sure they'd be happy to police you if you wanted them to.

I do plenty of silly things but I would never put my kids at any risk to save a few quid or so I could enjoy a night out. Judge me if you like.

Do you think it is okay to leave a child still to reach its first birthday alone for half an hour?

If so then I am pleased I am not your kid, if not then I don't get your point.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My point was if you're prepared to judge others (and threaten to alert the authorities) for things that they do that you consider wrong then you should be prepared for others to judge you, and similarly alert the authorities if you do something that they consider wrong, such as speeding (which can kill people).

Just to make it clear, I'm not one of those that would report people for minor speeding offences, but I do know a couple that do. They're very popular in their neighbourhood and with the police, as I'm sure you'd expect them to be.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
With the sightings of men staking the place out and the lax security at the place I would say the overwhelming likelihood is that Maddie was abducted to order by a Paedophile ring. I would hazard that the burglaries of the previous two weeks were people checking out the security. I doubt very much she will ever be seen alive again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here