Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mad Stad v The Amex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder at what point The Amex will begin to show it's age?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
There are 2 perhaps 3 things the Mad Stad has that would improve the Amex

1) You *can* park there, it may take donkies years to get out of some of the car parks but never the less, you can choose to park there. Although it's nowhere near as good for public transport or cyclists.
2 and 3) The rake of the stands and the ends behind the goals. Although there is a dodgy change in rake halfway up the stand and I tripped over twice going up the stairs.

it took me five minutes to get out of the car park and we were on the M4 in no time. Perfect location for driving.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I seem to remember when it was first built it was often talked of as one of the best stadiums around. Did I imagine that?

theboybilly

I rode up on my 125cc scooter from Shoreham but the queues of cars coming out of the main car parks seemed to be moving pretty well. For the stadium itself, I couldn't really fault it. I got a bit of vertigo up on Row KK but it was a great view...better than my view in the North Stand in fact. Now I've experienced the MadStad I can alter my travel arrangements should I go back - and I would. Train to Reading, cycle to the stadium or use the buses, as they seem to have been well organised.

el punal

Let's put this into perspective. When I went to the Mad.Stad in April 2002 to watch the 0-0 draw, I thought why can't we have a ground like this. Ditto, for when we played at St.Mary's in 2005/6.

The point is we NOW have a stadium that we can be really proud of, but think back to windy Withdean, you would have given your right arm for the above - would'nt you?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
The staff were top notch - everyone polite and wishing you an enjoyable game. The location is superb, being right next to the M4 with ample buses to the station. It just lacks atmosphere from the home fans and I guess that's something to do with the demographic of the local population.

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
What impressed me was the number of little touches, learnt from us and from Cardiff, to make the away fans' experience pleasant. There was a sign welcoming us, highlights of our matches on in the concourse, food sellers with Brighton shirts on, 'mobile' food sellers, friendly stewards etc. I wish more clubs would be like this.

Clearly it's a non contest what with one being an identikit bowl and the other being an award winning modern day design icon, but:-

Back in the day I went to Elm Park, then onto The Madejski for the Malongo game.
I'm sure, at the time, I was very impressed with Reading's new home, esp as we were Withdean bound.
It's still in a great location, the view is excellent, the rake of the stands, the atmosphere WE can generate in there, all stuff that I'm sure the Reading fans are proud of, albeit not proud enough to sing about!!.

But blimey Charlie look at what you could have won.
There's no place like home.

Stat Club Juniors absolutely slated The Madejski as they compared it with what they are used too.
If I didn't know better I'd think they were Martin Perry's (grand) children.
The concourse is too small, only 2 telly's, no sound, uncomfortable seats, only 1 screen inside the stadium, no info on the screen, only 2 mascots, I'm sure there was more.
I'm just grateful I didn't buy them a pie.

Blimey - are you taking them to Loftus Road ? - that will be an eye opener for them. Reading stadium is pretty good - their support has always been crap.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey - are you taking them to Loftus Road ? - that will be an eye opener for them. Reading stadium is pretty good - their support has always been crap.
No, I'd image that's them done for the season.

I guess it's the Allianz Arena or nothing for my two.
Bloom and Perry have spoiled them rotten.

No, I'd image that's them done for the season.

I guess it's the Allianz Arena or nothing for my two.
Bloom and Perry have spoiled them rotten.

Kids today eh?

You could give them a real scare next season - take them to Selhurst - they'll never believe such squalor existed.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Back in the day the Mad won the best new mid-size European stadium award. (20 - 35,000).

Can see why it did then and even now I feel that it still beats other bowls for design and facilities but it is definitely the worst stadium to attend from a public transport perspective.

Presumably (I didn't go yesterday) gone are the days when our noisy rabble are herded by Thames Valley's finest to the Spoons behind the station and then onto buses to the ground?

Remember actually deciding to walk back to the station post the 2-1 Kitson game because there were no buses and the queues were horrendous. Think it took as long as the game itself...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Kids today eh?
Normally I'd agree, but in fairness to them The Amex is all they know.

It was quite an eye opener for me, as none of the moaning was prompted.
Most if not all would have passed me by had I not taken them.
We all know there's far worse than The Madejski, hence the thread.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Staff were all very nice. I was mistakenly directed into the car park where their posh pass holders go (the 1901 types). I got out & noticed all the other cars had the passes in the windows so I asked the steward who'd pointed me into the space what to do. Not wishing to be clamped or ticketed, I said I was an Albion fan who'd been sent to the wrong place & offered to pay the (£8 or £10 I think) charge that I'd have had to fork out in the correct car park.

He wouldn't hear of it, told me to forget about it & said he'd keep an eye on my car to make sure nobody bothered about the lack of pass.

Took a fair while to get out of the car park afterwards, but for a free afternoon's parking, I was hardly complaining.

No jobsworths there, and how much better was my experience for that?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What impressed me was the number of little touches, learnt from us and from Cardiff, to make the away fans' experience pleasant. There was a sign welcoming us, highlights of our matches on in the concourse, food sellers with Brighton shirts on, 'mobile' food sellers, friendly stewards etc. I wish more clubs would be like this.

Me too! Really enjoyed watching some of that DVD. Such a simple thing helped make pre match drinking a great experience...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here