Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Macclesfield - Being greedy over replay ticket prices.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
It's got a bit twisted though. The overall profit to the club from winning and then getting a potential jackpot in round 4 is far greater than anything they might get from the inevitable beating in the replay.

The reason they would have made those subs was to protect the draw and get the replay. So not to lose the game as opposed to not to win it

Not according to the Guardian podcast eyewitness account, who says that they were so dominant that it seemed inevitable that they would score again.

Mar 13, 2012
It's got a bit twisted though. The overall profit to the club from winning and then getting a potential jackpot in round 4 is far greater than anything they might get from the inevitable beating in the replay.

The reason they would have made those subs was to protect the draw and get the replay. So not to lose the game as opposed to not to win it

Agree with this - If you want to listen to the manager John Askey, the clip is on the BBC Non league show on Radio Player about 6min 40 secs in. He says "I didn't really go for it...a replay is coffers in the bank"
Another non league side, Grimsby were 2-1 up with 5 minutes to go and did not even get a draw.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not according to the Guardian podcast eyewitness account, who says that they were so dominant that it seemed inevitable that they would score again.

Journalists? It's inconceivable IMO. But I can absolutely see that not losing was way more important than trying to win and then opening up for the sucker punch. I'd say a simple case of risk/reward that the journo's have made a good story out of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here