Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mac or Windows laptop - any advice?

:J)

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Personally I would look at your budget and plan to that, look at the features of everything in your range and make sure you get what you need and don't pay for extras that you don't need. And remember, a Windows based laptop will be much much easier to add a bigger hard drive or more ram at a later date if you need it, with a macbook you have to make that decision now and pay for it now. There is no going back and adding an extra 4gb ram later.

I agree with you about this. It's a shame that none of the new Retina MacBooks can be upgraded. For this reason, when I recently retired my 5 year old Macbook, I was seriously considering buying an older 2012 MacBook Pro on the Apple Refurb site for £850, and then upgrading the hard drive (to an 250GB SSD or better) and RAM (up to 16GB) for around £250. But I ended up going for a brand new 13" Retina from John Lewis that comes with a FREE 3 year warranty (Apple normally charge about £200 for this). However, now I'm stuck with 8GB RAM and a 500GB SSD drive - although hopefully that should be plenty for the next 4 or 5 years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I switched from Windows to an Apple MacBook for my home computing about 5 years ago. My initial concerns about having to learn a new operating system were completely unfounded. I still have to use Windows at work and it really highlights how superior Apple is on almost every front.

This. Although I made the switch about 10 years ago.

boik

Don't buy laptop. Windows 8 is awful. If you have an iPad you will regret it. I have had a samsung laptop with i5 processor for last year and am about to throw it out of window. MacBook Air is more expensive but is what I am going to get.

Can I have your Sammy? I'll stick Linux Mint on it and turn it into something useful.

I really don't get this OSX love. Been using them a lot recently and genuinely don't find them intuitive at all, and certainly not as customisable or personalisable (is that a word?) as a decent Linux system. On the other hand they do make nice hardware and I would have a MBP and put Linux on it if I had the dosh.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I've stayed pure - never owned a Windows PC, although I have installed XP on my MacBook Air. Would definitely recommend a Mac, although the new version of iMovie is a turkey.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
i've owned a mac for about 4 years now, i managed to pick up a late 2008 13" macbook for about £700 on eBay (was only 8 months old at the time and barely used) - upgrading the parts wasn't cheap (new RAM sticks and new HD) but the very model is still going ok; the screen is fecked (i think the screen needs replacing) but i've not decided whether to a) replace it and drop 400+ for it or b) hold out and save for a brand new one.
Anyway, it's a solid choice to make if you choose to - i did it for work but you may decide that you prefer to stay with a Windows laptop, it it's only 'general' things you'll be doing on there.

I'd recommend trying a mac first, just to see if you get on with them. I love them, but Mrs Grombleton hates them.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
i've owned a mac for about 4 years now, i managed to pick up a late 2008 13" macbook for about £700 on eBay (was only 8 months old at the time and barely used) - upgrading the parts wasn't cheap (new RAM sticks and new HD) but the very model is still going ok; the screen is fecked (i think the screen needs replacing) but i've not decided whether to a) replace it and drop 400+ for it or b) hold out and save for a brand new one.
Anyway, it's a solid choice to make if you choose to - i did it for work but you may decide that you prefer to stay with a Windows laptop, it it's only 'general' things you'll be doing on there.

I'd recommend trying a mac first, just to see if you get on with them. I love them, but Mrs Grombleton hates them.

Have you thought about buying a 'Not Working / Spares Repair' macbook from ebay and trying the replacement yourself?

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Core+2+Duo+Display+Replacement/536

It sounds a ball ache, but take your time, and get the right tools, and it's actually not too difficult. You might end up replacing the display for about £70.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Buy a macbook pro and get windows 7 for it and set it up on a 'bootcamp' basis. applecare people can help with all that.

thats what i did anyway. its a bit painful but worth it in the end.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You know what? I think i might love you. I'll def give that a go!

Steady. :blush:

To keep all the bits in the right order, try getting a large dozen size egg carton or 2 and label each egg space for each stage on the ifixit. It's then a lot easier to follow the instructions back to putting it back together keeping all the screws and bits separate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here