Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Mac Allister - why isn't he playing more?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

handbags.jpg :lolol:

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Experience of playing top level football.
As I said he is arguably more experienced.

But the main factor is that Moder's primary position and his experience is all at CM - so when it comes to competing with Mac in that role he has the edge.
We've also had injuries to Biss & Mwepu this season which has given Moder the opportunity to have a few more starts.

He has been pretty decent when he's played too.

So I don't really get the argument that MAc should have been picked a head of him.

The real issue is the amount of times we have had a need to cover an attacking role, which would suit him more.
In this role, he's up against Groß/Lallana/March and the formation/Tactics Potter chooses to play.
Again he isn't the most experienced option.

He also hasn't done enough to burst in and make the starting role his yet.
I think he probably will and see him as the long-term replacement for Lallana and Groß.

But that isn't going to be this season unless he starts winning games for us when he gets his chance.

Without knowing how he performs in training, Mac deserves some starts, regardless of who it's in place of. I was using Moder as a comparison because he's has had a lot of opportunities this season and he's been ok, but could say the same thing about Gross and Lallana.

Mac's best role is probably further forward but he's done well when he's played CM for us previously and I remember there was a stat that showed he was one of the best tacklers in the PL (might have even been Europe).

Personally, I really rate Mac and think he could help us score more goals. He has attributes that most of our players don't, and given the fact we haven't won in 11, I don't see why he can't get a run of 3-4 games in the side.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Our Midfield is a really strange one.
In one sense it is our strongest area with most competition for places. (Especially now that we are down to bare bones with Centre Halves).

But I am not sure GP has worked out the best combination of 3 (or 4) in the Middle of the park.

I think Mac has just got squeezed out a little. I wonder if his best position would be at the front point of a diamond, however it is not really a formation that Potter uses much.

However, I do think he should be given an extended chance to prove himself

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Without knowing how he performs in training, Mac deserves some starts, regardless of who it's in place of. I was using Moder as a comparison because he's has had a lot of opportunities this season and he's been ok, but could say the same thing about Gross and Lallana.

Mac's best role is probably further forward but he's done well when he's played CM for us previously and I remember there was a stat that showed he was one of the best tacklers in the PL (might have even been Europe).

Personally, I really rate Mac and think he could help us score more goals. He has attributes that most of our players don't, and given the fact we haven't won in 11, I don't see why he can't get a run of 3-4 games in the side.

I rate him too, and Moder and plenty of others who I think deserve more starts, but I wouldn't want GP to be trying to keep everyone happy.
I'd rather he continues to pick the players he think will be best for the next game.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Our Midfield is a really strange one.
In one sense it is our strongest area with most competition for places. (Especially now that we are down to bare bones with Centre Halves).

But I am not sure GP has worked out the best combination of 3 (or 4) in the Middle of the park.

I think Mac has just got squeezed out a little. I wonder if his best position would be at the front point of a diamond, however it is not really a formation that Potter uses much.

However, I do think he should be given an extended chance to prove himself

Interesting you say that about a diamond, it is something I’ve thought would suit us for a while and would like to see us try. I thought we would more after the Luton friendly too.

With Lamptey and Cucurella at FB/WB I think we’re ideally set up for it. Bissouma at the base, Mwepu and Moder just ahead and then Mac Allister at the front of it. Lallana can alternate with any of them too. Then two of Maupay, Trossard and Webeck up front. I really think it suits the players we have.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Interesting you say that about a diamond, it is something I’ve thought would suit us for a while and would like to see us try. I thought we would more after the Luton friendly too.

With Lamptey and Cucurella at FB/WB I think we’re ideally set up for it. Bissouma at the base, Mwepu and Moder just ahead and then Mac Allister at the front of it. Lallana can alternate with any of them too. Then two of Maupay, Trossard and Webeck up front. I really think it suits the players we have.
Definitely worth trying I would think. That would be a strong líne up

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I thought his set pieces were a big step up on anything we’ve seen this season. Very good.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Seemed off the pace to me but that could be the lack of game time
Would like to add his corners were good but no one took advantage

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought his set pieces were a big step up on anything we’ve seen this season. Very good.

Corners.

Anyway, great team performance :love:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Clearly a proper player in there.

A bit inconsistent and occasionally loose.

You just think that if he got a run of games and stayed fit, he'll be a very good player in a year or so

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
We have a lot of good midfielders but yes Ali Mc should be starting more often (just don't ask instead of who).

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Bound to be a little rusty after not playing a lot this season, started slowly but definitely grew into it. Better deliveries from set pieces than anything we have seen from Moder and Groß in the last few months.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We have a lot of good midfielders but yes Ali Mc should be starting more often (just don't ask instead of who).

To me, Lallana is the one I'd be rotating in and out for MacAllister. Similar players, need to manage Adam's minutes.

Lallana obvious a level above in the centre circle, but Alexis looks like he'd have more goals in him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here