Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Mac Allister - why isn't he playing more?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Too short!

... is part of the reason, I think. With Cucurella in the team instead of Burn l, fielding Lamptey, Cucurella, Lallana, Macallister, Trossard and Maupay means you have six players quite far below the average height of a PL footballer and there will be trouble defending set pieces. I believe Moder playing is a way to compensate for that.

I'd love to see some more of him though and have a feeling he'll start vs Brentford with Moder replacing the suspended Biss.

Don't agree with this.

Playing inferior players as they may be better as defending set pieces instead of playing better players which means you'll have fewer set pieces to defend is backwards thinking and I don't buy it's part of the thinking. If Moder was a Soucek, win everything style player, then possibly. But i'm not seeing him win defensive headers.

To me the answer is closer, to the point that every manager in history has had a player who they don't fancy, they couldn't really explain why and nobody really knows why

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Feels pretty obvious to me that Potter doesn't rate him, he not only doesn't start him he rarely brings him on

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I have a feeling that there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes to make him a box to box midfielder rather than a 10. It is just a case of being patient

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have a feeling that there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes to make him a box to box midfielder rather than a 10. It is just a case of being patient

What's wrong with him playing as a no.10 then? He's good enough to do that for Argentina (or was, when he was still getting regular starts for his club).

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Started season doing well off the bench, never established himself as a starter and then had one of the worst 45 minutes in memory v Newcastle and hasn't seemed to have recovered. Gutted, as was really hoping he would kick on this season.

Yes that's a pretty fair summary and we have to assume that he's not showing Potter enough on the training ground. As you say it's gutting as he looked like he was going to kick on.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Feels pretty obvious to me that Potter doesn't rate him, he not only doesn't start him he rarely brings him on

errr...... he's featured in 11 of our 16 games this season.
Not sure that counts as "rarely"

As mentioned above March has taken his spot as alternative midfield/attacker and it's eaten into his game-time.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
What's wrong with him playing as a no.10 then. He's good enough to do that for Argentina (or was, when he was still getting regular starts for his club).

Did he? How many games has he started for Argentina in the 10 role? And were they full strength teams or young teams when the senior players were not picked?
I like Man Allister a lot but if the coaching team think they can get more out of him in a different position then that is their choice

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Mac Allister should be starting every game. Solly March isn't a good Premier League attacking player, if you're relying on him to score or assist goals then you aren't going to score many goals. Which we don't. We clearly need to improve the standard of our attacking players and swapping out the workhorse March for the more gifted Mac Allister would be a good start.

But that's not the Potter way and all the while that's the case, we're going nowhere positive.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
errr...... he's featured in 11 of our 16 games this season.
Not sure that counts as "rarely"

As mentioned above March has taken his spot as alternative midfield/attacker and it's eaten into his game-time.

For a combined total of how many minutes? THrowing him on at 85 minutes isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He's started 2 games vs Moder who has started 9.

Not sure I follow that argument.
Moder is a full Polish international and arguably a more experienced player than Mac.

When it comes to games this season, Moder has played an advanced role a couple of times, but generally they aren't competing for the same spot/role.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I was going to ask - who are we dropping for Mac ?

boik

Mac Allister - why isn't he playing more?

Because the gormless 'head coach' doesn't know a very good player when he sees one?

Have you set up a macro on your PC so that every time you mention Potter it inserts the word "Gormless". It's beyond tedious. You could at least dip into your thesaurus occasionally and give us a bit of variety.

There's a vast difference between constructive criticism and childish name-calling.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Have you set up a macro on your PC so that every time you mention Potter it inserts the word "Gormless". It's beyond tedious. You could at least dip into your thesaurus occasionally and give us a bit of variety.

There's a vast difference between constructive criticism and childish name-calling.

fight

:catfight:

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Not sure I follow that argument.
Moder is a full Polish international and arguably a more experienced player than Mac.

When it comes to games this season, Moder has played an advanced role a couple of times, but generally they aren't competing for the same spot/role.

What does Moder being a Polish international have to do with it? They had both played a similar amount of games in their native countries before moving here.

They're not like-for-like players but Mac has played in CM for us before and done well.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
What does Moder being a Polish international have to do with it? They had both played a similar amount of games in their native countries before moving here.

They're not like-for-like players but Mac has played in CM for us before and done well.

Experience of playing top level football.
As I said he is arguably more experienced.

But the main factor is that Moder's primary position and his experience is all at CM - so when it comes to competing with Mac in that role he has the edge.
We've also had injuries to Biss & Mwepu this season which has given Moder the opportunity to have a few more starts.

He has been pretty decent when he's played too.

So I don't really get the argument that MAc should have been picked a head of him.

The real issue is the amount of times we have had a need to cover an attacking role, which would suit him more.
In this role, he's up against Groß/Lallana/March and the formation/Tactics Potter chooses to play.
Again he isn't the most experienced option.

He also hasn't done enough to burst in and make the starting role his yet.
I think he probably will and see him as the long-term replacement for Lallana and Groß.

But that isn't going to be this season unless he starts winning games for us when he gets his chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here