Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mac Allister red card rescinded

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Have we ever had one reversed? I bet not. Especially in premier.
I remember Calderon had one rescinded. It was a bad injury to their guy but Caldy slipped as he went in,

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wonder if they'll do anything for Bournemouth who had a decent shout for a pen long before that ridiculous dive that Liverpool got a penalty from?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The officiating although wasn’t great was better before Webb came in. He’s made them all nervous dishing out cheap yellows early on which then leaves them with a big decision to make later on on the game.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Yes, Calderon against Newport County, in the League cup. The other player‘s leg was broken. Calde was mortified and visited him in hospital. It was definitely an accident though.

I remember Calderon had one rescinded. It was a bad injury to their guy but Caldy slipped as he went in,
You can still be sent off for an accidental challenge or slipping as you'd be deemed to not have control of your body.

There is a very poor quality You Tube video of the game, unfortunately it isn't clear enough to really see what happened. I remember from better quality footage that Calderon didn't actually touch Byron Anthony and basically both players reached the ball at exactly the same, Calde possibly slightly earlier and it was actually the impact of both players basically kicking the ball at the same time that led to the leg break. The ref eventually sent off Calde because of the injury rather than how it had been caused. Because it was clear that Calde won the ball and never touched the player the card was rescinded.

Even the late Justin Edinburgh (who as being a bit of a cock on the bench that night) said there wasn't any malice in the challenge. Anthony played again later that season but could never regain full fitness and announced his retirement just over a year after the injury.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I wonder if they'll do anything for Bournemouth who had a decent shout for a pen long before that ridiculous dive that Liverpool got a penalty from?
It did make me chuckle hearing all the talk about the Mac red card. I assumed that was the only controversial talking point in the match. Then I watched the highlights the next day...
- The Liverpool penalty was a joke dive.
- Bournemouth had a better shout for a penalty than the one which was given.
- Allison could have easily been sent off.
- Bournemouth's disallowed goal could have stood.

But no, let's just talk about the soft sending off which made little difference to the outcome.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I don't see why, when there are experienced match officials, with access to replays to make immediate calls on controversial decisions at every EPL game, teams should be allowed to appeal. It's basically admitting that in some instances members of PGMOL need 3 goes to get thing right. It's just incompetence.
The Klopp/Tierney conspiracy theory will continue.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Right decision but the vagaries of the rules means, I believe, Tomiyasu's dismissal can't be rescinded. Ludicrous that a second yellow can't be looked at by VAR. Second yellow or straight red both mean a team is down to 10 (assuming no other sending offs!!) but only one can be checked by VAR. You do have to question the intelligence of those that write/apply the rules!!!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
may be right decision but you just know if he was still an Albion player, that would never have been rescinded.
Which is, of course, utter tosh. There is no evidence to support that view. I seem to recall Wets Ham were the kings of the rescinded red.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You have inadvertently created a martyrdom thread for wounded, resentful Albion fans. You cheeky chap.
I have never even received as much as an apology. I. Am. Distraught.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
I was mildly surprised he was shown red, but I am SHOCKED it was reversed when you consider some of the absolute howlers they’ve stubbornly defended in the past.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Big 6 get 3 bites of the cherry. Ref's favour them at first instance, if one doesn't decide for them VAR will normally jump in. Now apparently if there's enough social media outrage, decision is changed retrospectively

As others have said. Not a chance in hell that get's rescinded if he's still a Brighton player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here