M Thatcher good or bad for the country (age related poll)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thatcher

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
one thing i've found amusing/sad is pictures on telly box of young 20-somethings "celebrating" her death
Have I been in a coma? All these years I thought she was voted in by the people of the country - have I got it completely wrong, did she in fact take power via a military coup?

Sir Royston thorne

Jun 27, 2004
The fairest way of mass taxing for services etc, just wrongly packaged and presented.

I bet you didn't say that when you were in your Liberal era ?

And, at the time of its inception, I was married in a two bedroom mid terrace house with kids working my nuts off to stay financially afloat and my Rates (£220 pa ) magically changed into the Poll Tax (£640 pa). I did not riot, maybe I should have done.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have a friend who was a young apprentice sent to a contruction site building a power station (other power plants on the site were already working). He was told to take some drawings to the site office. The NUM pickets would not let him in. Being more scared of losing his job than the pickets, and knowing he was nothing to do with the dispute, he tried to get past them. The *******s beat him up and broke his arm. The NUM and their flying pickets were the scum of the earth trying to bully our nation into giving in to their demands.
Assuming you're not lying (and I have no reason to doubt you), how can people (Thatcher haters) ignore stuff like this?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
As I've said before...Unless you witnessed first hand the destruction of communities her and her government caused in the north, then you cannot understand how her decisions affected the lower working classes.

It's all very well for people living in a bubble here in the South East to say "oh what a great leader she was" and in all fairness, if she was PM of just London & the South East, then yes some of her policy decisions were effective. HOWEVER, she was Prime Minister of the UNITED KINGDOM and the devisiveness and ruination that the policies her and John Major's Conservative government bought upon communites in places like Liverpool, Tyneside & Glasgow was disgraceful.

People also keep going on about the Poll Tax and the Miners strike, however, people forget the treatment by the Thatcher Government of journalists at Wapping and the Ambulance drivers in the later 80's.

As for the Poll Tax being fair? Do me a favour...We went from paying around £450 per household in Rates to around £1500 per household in Poll Tax if you had a family of 2 parents and two teenagers over 16.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In my opinion, it was because they Tory Party members had become complacent, and felt that they were invincable in the polls. The rank and file members from the centre and left of the party wanted power for their chosen representative, tearing the party apart, and from which it has never recovered. Look what a wet weekend they have to compromise on to become their leader now!

Your capacity for re-writing history is quite astonishing.

And predictable.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Is anyone able to put poll tax into a modern perspective. Thsi is the mid sussex council tax rates for this year, what would they have been under the poll tax? Is it a case of every household paying the average, which is £1820.

BAND A BAND B BAND C BAND D BAND E BAND F BAND G BAND H
£1,004 £1,172 £1,339 £1,506 £1,841 £2,176 £2,510 £3,012

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So far neck and neck for all age groups

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Is anyone able to put poll tax into a modern perspective. Thsi is the mid sussex council tax rates for this year, what would they have been under the poll tax? Is it a case of every household paying the average, which is £1820.

Blimey - has that doubled in 9 years? I was Band E when I emigrated and am sure I was paying less than 100 quid a month.

From what I remember, I was living on my own in a flat when Poll tax came in and ended up paying less than half of my previous rates. But if I had a family with 2 adults and 2 kids over 16, we would have ended up paying a lot more than rates. I doubt that will help!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm over 50. Remember the three day week and all the problems we had. As a reference watch Top Gear every time they mention British Leyland. She done a lot of good but I would also agree she done a lot bad things.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
In my opinion, it was because they Tory Party members had become complacent, and felt that they were invincable in the polls. The rank and file members from the centre and left of the party wanted power for their chosen representative, tearing the party apart, and from which it has never recovered. Look what a wet weekend they have to compromise on to become their leader now!

That would be all well and good if you have forgotten what was happening at the time... something about the economy and the eu wasnt it?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have a friend who was a young apprentice sent to a contruction site building a power station (other power plants on the site were already working). He was told to take some drawings to the site office. The NUM pickets would not let him in. Being more scared of losing his job than the pickets, and knowing he was nothing to do with the dispute, he tried to get past them. The *******s beat him up and broke his arm.

I'm glad the NUR picket line I had to cross was more understanding!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I don't think you can do it simplistically. Your calculation assumes there's the same number of houses in each band.

Poll tax worked by dividing the total bill by the number of adults in the area served so that we all paid the same.

HOWEVER, the bit that all the protesters all conveniently forgot was that students and people on benefits (I can't remember the exact criteria, so my be incorrect here) only had to pay 20% of what the rest of us paid, yet seemed to make up a huge proportion of those protesting.

As I recall, there was no option in-between paying the whole amount or 20%.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can assure you it is perfectly true. I can PM you his name if you wish.
WTF? I believe you (I was just highlighting it's not a story I have first hand knowledge of) and my point is that incidents like that were common place, yet there are people that think no minors (or TUs) did anything wrong, it was all one person.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
If you'd lived through the seventies then you'd know that the unions were just as responsible for destroying their industries as anyone else. The constant strikes, works to rule, restrictive practices that prevented any modernisation etc made the industries uncompetitive which resulted in massive state subsidies to keep them going. It was only a matter of time before a government had the balls to stand up to the unions and bring the whole lot crashing down.

The mining industry would be shut down today in the name of 'Climate change' anyway.

(damn - I've been trying to avoid all these Thatcher threads, ah well)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports