Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

M & S pander to this crazy world !

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
It's being reported M & S are allowing Muslim checkout staff to refuse to serve customers with booze and pork. If its true the poor old customer will have to bugger off to another till!
Muslims are quite happy to work for a company profiting from selling these products and I thought it was not ok to consume ? not to process the transaction!. It's hardly a case that they are promoting it. Are the lorry drivers gonna refuse to deliver to the stores? And store staff will not have to replenish the shelfs?. I think M & S haven't thought this through

M & S get some backbone! anyone not wanting to do the basic requirements can go and work somewhere else

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
wont happen to me as I only buy underpants in M&S , but if I was told the assistant would not serve me I would tell them where to stick their shopping and never go there again.

Last time I checked the UK was not a muslem country and its not illegal to buy booze or pork.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I find it odd that religious views would allow you to not serve someone, when it is not you that is selling it but the company that employs you. And presumably the same staff would be willing to take wages from a company that makes some of its profit selling those products. Still hardly the first time religion and hypocrisy go hand in hand.

With the obvious caveat that the story is from the telegraph.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm sure there are equally outraged muslims who feel their job prospects have been damaged by this move. I wonder how many people are actually affected by this move.

It's a complicated world. On one hand, one could argue that great things grow from a small acorn, but I don't see this as a big deal.

There's the question as to why someone would undertake work where they are supporting (indirectly) the sale of such goods, but then not everyone has a huge choice as to where or who they work for.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I really really do not care.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont really understand M&S here, anyone with more than a passing knowledge of Islam will know they are not prohibited from serving pork or alcohol. muslims can even eat/drink it if they so chose to interpret their koran that way. (you can eat pork if nothing else is available, drink if not intoxcated, though that last one can be poorly observed.) if they had a religious issue (some would), they wouldn't have gone to work in the food section. so M&S has created a negative impression to the rest of the population, to not discriminate against 0.001% of the population who wouldnt work there in the first place.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
What a stupid and irresponsible decision by M&S. It will only cause more hatred, more racism, more xenophobia and will also lose them a lot of wealthy right-wing customers.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
So what happens if you put 60 items on the conveyor belt and the Muslim or Jewish member of staff notice that some pork scratchings and a bottle of wine is on the belt? Are you expected to put it all back in the trolley and go elsewhere.

A Muslim can touch pork and alcohol if it is packaged. They just cannot consume it (alcohol for medicinal reasons is ok for Muslims).

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I do like the suggestion of Boycotting M&S, as though ANYONE genuinely upset by this shops there in the first place.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Excellent ! The Christmas Binfest has arrived early this year.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Not a lot different to Roman Catholics and others with similar beliefs having the right not to deal with patients in the NHS having an abortion.

All religious hogwash - that phrase may be a bit inappropriate considering the subject of the thread :glare:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here