Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] LV= County Championship Division One, Somerset v Sussex at Taunton

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Wonder if Joyce is considering dropping himself - he's had a shocker. And Machan has done nothing since that ton in his first innings.

Still bemused by lack of overseas player - I'm sure Magoffin turned English last month so why not find another batsman. Could Bailey play in the CC?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/cri...sman_keen_to_play_in_Championship_for_Sussex/

Sussex could reinforce their fragile batting line-up by drafting George Bailey into their Championship team.

Bailey signed to play one-day and Twenty20 cricket for Sussex but says he would jump at the chance to gain more red ball experience in England to boost his Test prospects.

The 32-year-old played in all five Tests as England were whitewashed Down Under 18 months ago but is not part of Australia’s squad for the Ashes series which starts in Cardiff tomorrow.

Sussex – who were dismissed for just 208 in their first innings at Taunton yesterday – would be able to play Bailey as an overseas player once fellow Australian Steve Magoffin receives a British passport in the next few weeks.

Bailey, who played five Championship games for Hampshire in 2013, said: “I would love to play in the Championship again and have a full season in England.

“I have to be playing more four-day cricket to push for a place in the Test side so that is my next challenge. If Steve’s passport comes through we’ll see what happens.”

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Joyce has played a lot of cricket and has a recurrent hip problem now, but I would rather he keeps going, he is class on his day.

That passport can not come quick enough for the Goff, its weeks late, does anyone work in the passport office and have a quick word. Bailey would be a solid international player to shore up the middle order.

Good effort by Sussex yesterday, lets see if we can blow it this morning...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So at 2/315, we're 249 ahead.

What are the tactics here? Presumably bat and try to score quickly until half an hour before lunch?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
So at 2/315, we're 249 ahead.

What are the tactics here? Presumably bat and try to score quickly until half an hour before lunch?

Prey that the pitch (er Taunton) takes spin on day 4, get out slogging so with a 300 lead, but ball moving massively and put the fear of God into their batsman and Ziadi gets 7 wickets.

But is Taunton, bat to 3 o'clock get a 400 lead and then have a bowl till captains shake hands at 5

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Run rate 4.4, but 5.4 over the last ten overs. I think they need to be swinging the bat if they want to have a bowl before lunch.

91.4. Abdur Rehman to Nash, SIX

419/2

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Run rate 4.4, but 5.4 over the last ten overs. I think they need to be swinging the bat if they want to have a bowl before lunch.

Somerset bowling utter filth at present, Machan heading for a double ton, surely Joyce will let him get it before declaring?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Seems to be nothing to fear in the wicket.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Gregory to Nash, FOUR
Gregory to Nash, 2 no balls
Gregory to Nash, 6 no balls
Gregory to Nash, no run
Gregory to Nash, no run
Gregory to Machan, 1 run
Gregory to Machan, 1 wide