Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luxor, Egypt.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
Ok the wife has just received her redundancy money, and has decided to treat us ( me, her, and 11 year old daughter) to a 15 day holiday in Luxor, Egypt.
So my question is, who has been? What is it like? And what are he best things do do/ see/ avoid apart from the obvious.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Don't stay in Luxor! Go on a Nile Cruise, which mostly start and end in Luxor.
You will have everything you need on the boat, and a controlled food and water source.
Go at the beginning of the year as it gets too hot towards the summer, soon would still be OK though.
There will be Guides on the boat to take you round and explain as you go, by day four you will be templed out. Having said that because you start templing so early in the morning, to avoid the midday heat , there is still plenty of time to do other stuff or just chill by the pool with a beer or three.
Here is our guide, great guy from Cairo Uni. with Mr and Mrs Tutankhamon

100_0209.JPG

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Ok the wife has just received her redundancy money, and has decided to treat us ( me, her, and 11 year old daughter) to a 15 day holiday in Luxor, Egypt.
So my question is, who has been? What is it like? And what are he best things do do/ see/ avoid apart from the obvious.

Nile cruise generally lasts one week so perhaps consider this plus one week at the Old Cataract Hotel in Luxor (Where Death on the Nile' was filmed in part.

Suggest look at Voyages Jules Verne. ( VJV.com )

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I went to Sharm last Xmas and went to Luxor on a full day trip via a 35 minute flight to see the temples and valley of the kings. Personally I LOVED the day out, but was thinking as we went through the city how glad I was not to be staying there and to be going back to Sharm. I don't know why it was, it just felt like it had a bit of an edge to it but that could of just been the political situation at the time, I've been thinking.

PICS -

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s360/bhafc22/night.jpg

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s360/bhafc22/sun.jpg

BONUS PIC OF ME WITH BIRD STATUE

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s360/bhafc22/mebird.jpg

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I went with my family to Egypt for a couple of weeks a few years back. We stayed in Cairo for a few days, then went to Luxor for a few days, then finished off with a 7 day stay in Sharm-el-Sheik. Luxor is one of those places where there are a lot of sites and historic attractions to visit, and it's right on the bank of the Nile, so you can get on board a cruise if you wish though. They do hot air balloon trips there as well (but we didn't have time). We did go on a camel ride though; if you do the same, be VERY WARY - the locals will scam you (especially the kids - cheeks sods that they are). My Mum fell for it hook, line and stinker. Always agree on a price before you get taken for a ride, metaphorically speaking.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
went there around 15 years ago,during the summer,big mistake

got terrible sunburn on my feet even though i was wearing shoes

didn't start that great,got off the coach at luxor and around 4 egyptians started fighting over who was going to carry my case,at the time you weren't allowed to take egypian money into the country,so i gave him a 50p coin that he was made up with

the poverty is very humbling,we don't realise how lucky we are

went to see some obleisk,the guide said you have 1 hour,everyone was back on the air-conditioned coach inside 15 minutes!

didn't a load of germans get murdered at the valley of the king & queens?

to be honest,i found egypt a shit hole,if someone starts fanning you with a piece of cardboard at one of the temples,walk away,some gezzer did it to me,i said thanks went to walk away,but he got me in an ice clamp until i gave him something

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
exactly what skipper says mate do not stay in luxor do the cruise i did it two years ago its the best holliday ive had and i will be going back
ps, the day trip to cairo to see the pyramids of giza is well worth the trip this can be aranged on the boat on a free day

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
Goodfella - Tourist spots are protected by armed police now as a result of that incident at the Valley of the Kings where tourists got killed. Hotel staff are very friendly and often go out of their way in hospitality. However, the locals do give the place an edge when outside the hotels and are very in your face trying to sell you anything or wanting to grab your case at the airport. This maybe culturally acceptable to the locals but comes over a bit hostile if you are not used to this type of market selling. That said go and enjoy Luxor, it is an unique place where you can get spoilt (hotel) get the real local life (outside of the hotel) and have on your doorstep amazing history, but if you explore best go on an official tour as the guide is there to look after your best interests and should tell you the do's and dont's.

On the other hand if you just want beach, hotels and not so much hassel from the locals go to Sharm, which is mostly a modern place built for the holidaymakers.

1901Phil

Feb 1, 2012
Tunbridge Wells
Luxor

For culture go to the Valley of the kings early in the morning before it gets too hot, Luxor temple which looks best in early evening and the temple of Karnak. Make sure you have plenty of water with you when out and about during the day.
I went in January on a cruise to Aswan and back but did spend 2 days on the boat in Luxor. Knowing of the lack of tourists I thought we would be hassled every time we left the boat but this was not the case.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It's a great place. Ignore the others. I trust you're staying somewhere reasonably nice? A nice pool is essential.
If you like a bit of culture, Luxor is fantastic. Valley of the Kings and Queens ( get up early, and I mean about 5-6am) to go and see these as by late morning it wil be very hot indeeed. But they are stunning. As is Karnak Temple, one of the most impressive, no, TEH most impressive ancient Temple I've ever seen. A must. Throw in going to see crocodiles in the Nile, the odd fuluka trip, loads of great food and people, you'll have a great holiday.
I went in August too. It is rather hot.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Albion-supporting mate did the Nile Cruise with his missus. Said the important thing is to upgrade to all-inclusive ASAP, cos the cost of individual beers soon mounts up in that heat.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
when i was there,we got separated from our guide,right in the middle of town arriving by donkey carts,instead of the guide arriving first,somehow she ended up arriving last

anyhow,the locals were on us in seconds,not threatening but we were all uneasy,then someone asks,where's the guide? and this old fella responded as quick as you like,"f*** knows,but i've got a feeling were gonna be seeing terry waite very soon"

still laugh at that to this day,didn't at the time mind

Went for a week in June 2000 and hated it. Ridiculously hot, hassled to buggery wherever we went, laid up in bed with the shits for two days and, worst of all, had 'Maradona' shouted at me when walking around in my Albion shirt.

That said, the history was very interesting (Karnak and Luxor temples, Valley of the Kings/Queens etc) and it was bloody cheap. It wasn't long after those German tourists were massacred and we picked up flights and half board for about 100 quid each.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here