Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Luton/Spurs/Sheff Utd away tickets

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My misunderstanding inferred from what has been posted……So essentially 1901ers can basically do what others were doing prior to the ID checks were introduced (buy tickets, pass them on, keep the points and maintain tier status) - if so the second part still stand for me, they shouldn’t get points for games they don’t physically attend.
Yep.

At the point of purchase they have to provide the name of the person using the ticket, which will be hand-written on the ticket in felt-tip as all other tickets. That name can't be changed post-purchase.

I suspect this is in place due to the 1901 tickets which are held in corporate names and don't have a named fan, and a ticket has to be sold to a named fan.

But, yes, the 1901 ticket, not a specific named fan, accruing the loyalty points doesn't feel in alignment with the spirit of the scheme the rest of us work to.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Yep.

At the point of purchase they have to provide the name of the person using the ticket, which will be hand-written on the ticket in felt-tip as all other tickets. That name can't be changed post-purchase.

I suspect this is in place due to the 1901 tickets which are held in corporate names and don't have a named fan, and a ticket has to be sold to a named fan.

But, yes, the 1901 ticket, not a specific named fan, accruing the loyalty points doesn't feel in alignment with the spirit of the scheme the rest of us work to.
I think all the 1901 seats are linked to an actual person with a FAN number - same as STs.

Whether that person is always a ‘fan’ I don’t know, but the vast majority of 1901 members are regular people who accrue loyalty points in exactly the same way as everyone else.

They don’t get priority. They can’t purchase multiple tickets. They have a LP balance in the same way as everyone else and buy in the appropriate window.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think all the 1901 seats are linked to an actual person with a FAN number - same as STs.

Whether that person is always a ‘fan’ I don’t know, but the vast majority of 1901 members are regular people who accrue loyalty points in exactly the same way as everyone else.

They don’t get priority. They can’t purchase multiple tickets. They have a LP balance in the same way as everyone else and buy in the appropriate window.
Sorry, yes, I know all that and I think it's been explained by various others in posts on this thread.

But some 1901 tickets are in the name of a company. I know several like this, eg "North Stand Chat Marketing Services". The ticket(s) are probably primarily used by the owner/manager of that business, maybe taking along family, friends, staff or clients where they have multiple tickets.

But the tickets do NOT have a named individual on them.

Which is why, when a 1901 holder buys an away ticket they have to supply the name of the person using it - who can be absolutely anyone. The 1901 ticket accrues the loyalty points, regardless of who goes.

BHANSC

May 10, 2022
Sorry, yes, I know all that and I think it's been explained by various others in posts on this thread.

But some 1901 tickets are in the name of a company. I know several like this, eg "North Stand Chat Marketing Services". The ticket(s) are probably primarily used by the owner/manager of that business, maybe taking along family, friends, staff or clients where they have multiple tickets.

Which is why, when a 1901 holder buys an away ticket they have to supply the name of the person using it - who can be absolutely anyone. The 1901 ticket accrues the loyalty points, regardless of who goes.
Yes but the 1901 member pays a massive premium for their tickets so should be afforded these perks, I suspect the actual number of people taking advantage of the system is very low considering the potential consequences of giving out ticket and being responsible for that persons behavior at away games.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes but the 1901 member pays a massive premium for their tickets so should be afforded these perks, I suspect the actual number of people taking advantage of the system is very low considering the potential consequences of giving out ticket and being responsible for that persons behavior at away games.
Sure. I'm largely trying to explain the process here, not trying to kick off at some sort of mass injustice.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I'm going to copy @Barry Izbak in here as, when I asked about how the tiers worked, the club said they'd be happy to engage with the FAB to discuss if tiering can be handled better for low-allocation fixtures.

I'm not sure what the answer is, so I won't propose a solution, but there's an opportunity for some dialogue if there's appetite for it.
I'm not sure we really have the answer to this. Or an answer that will make everyone happy anyway.

The system of awarding different points for different games was designed by TB himself. So we got the impressions they were loathe to change it.
Indeed its a system that is being copied by other clubs (another example of where Brighton lead...) like Newcastle where their system is 1 point per match attended - home or away - Manchester, Maidstone or Moscow - and no expiry date. So if you racked up 333 points between, say,1996 and 2006 you still have 333 and if you are ten years old and haven't missed a home game for 5 seasons, you still don't have more than about 100. Have a look at the Toon messageboards and see how unhappy they are with the lottery they now have to get tickets.

To decide where to set the tiers for each away game the Albion look at historical data and make a judgement call. What else can they do? Their two aims are a) to sell out b) to the people with the most loyalty points. Sometimes they get it wrong. But main aim to sell out for these popular southern matches is always achieved.

Anyone can call the club and ask how many points they have, and ask how that figure is arrived at. We know of several people who have done so.

But while demand exceeds supply, we just have to face the fact that we may not always be able to go.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Can I please use the Luton tickets bought by North Stand Chat Marketing Services ?

Nicks

It's all well and good a 1901 member giving their ticket to an Albion fan, I have no issue with that at all.
What boils my piss is when last season at The Emirates in the league game the fella in front of me was bragging how he was an Arsenal fan and his 1901 mate gave him the ticket, doing an Albion fan out of a chance to see you sick them 3-0 .
( He didn't stay until the end of the game for some reason , and he was wearing a half and half scarf. So double justice there ) 🤣

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
So, if your mate decides to go himself, or decides to give the ticket to someone else you are left with no points and no chance of getting to away games.

Maybe the points should go to the person that gets named as attending? That way 1901ers still get the benefit of being able to pass on the ticket, but don't get a benefit from non attendance.
Maybe but I’m a season ticket holder I was fine for Everton Chelsea Man City and Arsenal (Marseille if I could of gone and Athens) and I speak to him maybe a month in advance if he’s going to an away game has he works abroad , also with the giving the away ticket to someone else I’m 1st in can you go ?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
hqdefault.jpg

Jimmy Grimble

To decide where to set the tiers for each away game the Albion look at historical data and make a judgement call. What else can they do? Their two aims are a) to sell out b) to the people with the most loyalty points. Sometimes they get it wrong. But main aim to sell out for these popular southern matches is always achieved.
Haven’t we just found they don’t really do this?

They just open the initial allocation out to the first X amount of people with the most points. Then, it goes to the next 25%, then 50%, then any other STHs.

This makes it seem arbitrary approach for all games rather than based on data/judgment calls for individual games.

Would it be possible for the FAB to query if the system could be looked at when we have high demand/low allocation games such as Luton, Bournemouth, Brentford and a host of potential European opponents (or lower league cup opponents)? Still following the initial principle of the first X amount of people with the most points tiered first, then staggered at shorter intervals than 25%/50% after that to reflect a reward for loyalty to those who have been to more games and want to go to the higher demand games.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
My misunderstanding inferred from what has been posted……So essentially 1901ers can basically do what others were doing prior to the ID checks were introduced (buy tickets, pass them on, keep the points and maintain tier status) - if so the second part still stand for me, they shouldn’t get points for games they don’t physically attend.
Correct, plenty of 1901 tickets don't, but plenty do its a loophole that the club are happy to keep open, but then punish those who can't afford to pay for 1901 membership if they pass their tickets on with 10 game bans and loyalty point deductions. Complete double standards.

I will point out though that the way the points system works other than this is the best I've come across in the league.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
just snaffled a Spurs ticket, logged in on the off- chance was showing 3 available by the time I got on to the page only 1 was left, snapped it up without even looking at what block it was in. will wait for the confirmation before I find out exactly what seat I'm in.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure we really have the answer to this. Or an answer that will make everyone happy anyway.

The system of awarding different points for different games was designed by TB himself. So we got the impressions they were loathe to change it.
Indeed its a system that is being copied by other clubs (another example of where Brighton lead...) like Newcastle where their system is 1 point per match attended - home or away - Manchester, Maidstone or Moscow - and no expiry date. So if you racked up 333 points between, say,1996 and 2006 you still have 333 and if you are ten years old and haven't missed a home game for 5 seasons, you still don't have more than about 100. Have a look at the Toon messageboards and see how unhappy they are with the lottery they now have to get tickets.

Anyone can call the club and ask how many points they have, and ask how that figure is arrived at. We know of several people who have done so.

But while demand exceeds supply, we just have to face the fact that we may not always be able to go.
Sorry, I should have explained more as my post was made with the assumption that you’d read more then you clearly have. And this thread is long - I don’t blame you!

This wasn’t about how points are allocated.

It is about tiers for away game sales. You’re incorrect in how you say it is done - it’s the same for every game.

And it is that the club are happy to discuss with the FAB.

I’m out with the dog - I’ll forward you an email when I’m home.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Correct, plenty of 1901 tickets don't, but plenty do its a loophole that the club are happy to keep open, but then punish those who can't afford to pay for 1901 membership if they pass their tickets on with 10 game bans and loyalty point deductions. Complete double standards.
Same with home games, cant pass on a season ticket the morning of a game that you cannot attend due to illness or other reason without paying extra and a recipient being an Albion+ member, for fear of losing your ST yet a 1901 member can advertise on facebook the same morning "anyone fancy coming to the Amex later, cant be bother today and Spurs are on TV at 530"*

* true story except the very last bit, although he is a Spurs fan

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Hi Barry. I think the main thrust of the argument for Luton was that the Tier 2 range was too broad. Looking at the earlier post from @Bozza

Tier 1 : The Allocation (so 1150 in the case of Luton)
Tier 2 : Top 6000 (minus the allocation so about 4850) Points holders. Given there was about 100 tickets left we had potentially 4850 people fighting over a handful of tickets. On that basis, Tier 2a could have been a lot higher than 246 and not much lower than 361 which was the Tier 1 benchmark.

None of this affected me, so I'm not speaking through a lens of missing out but given the small allocations for Luton (and Bournemouth and Brentford I guess have the same issues), something a bit more targetted towards the top end of Tier 2 would have been slightly fairer.

By and large, most people on here are happy with the system and a few comments have been made (myself included) that praise the balance of reward between longevity and new fans. I also fully appreciate that there will be disappointments when supply exceeds demand and it is impossible to please everyone without making Luton's ground magically bigger.

I don't think this is a popular view among most of our fans. 1901 should be the corporate lounge comforts, not an ability to game the loyalty scheme for away tickets a long way from Amex comforts

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here