Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Are Sheff U tickets definitely paper? I think I may have made a booboo
Definitely, yes.

su1.jpg

Doug-ees-evil

Nov 18, 2011
Good thread. Re; points raised by S.T.U cgull / post #224. (I currently thought I was tier 1 but Luton told me otherwise).

I have been actively trying to get my son (Under 18) deep into guaranteed tier 2 territory (which of course is a constant game) so that he may have a fighing chance of getting to another Euro away game. He's gone from 220 to 295 this season. I'm not going to lie. it's cost me a fortune (but we've had a lot of fun.. Villa away aside). It's hard to do because when they are younger, they start off with less points and you can't get them on the points ladder very easily. You do have to do less favourable games, long trips... which of course is where the loyalty is rewarded.

The case for narrowing the tier 2 band/points is a valid one though I think because, to take my son 75 points up the LP table (Aug to now) is a sizable outlay. Each game probably averages out a £100 for him alone (match ticket, coach/train, food/drink etc.). For him this has meant x8 away games this season so far – which is pushing x3 times the amount his actual season ticket costs me.

Now, I know loyalty is not just mesaured by a financial outlay – but effort and time and support.. and of course going away with the Albion is just brilliant. But I think people of who have invested all the above (e.g. spent north of £800) to get into a strong position – it just seems a bit unfair to be lumped with people who are on the lower ladders of tier 2 (having maybe done 2-3 aways).

Or to put it simply, I do agree with many on here that the tier band is too wide presently, and puts people who are deep into tier two territory (or even within touching distance of tier 1) into a bunfight/melting pot with a completely different set of fans who can't, or have not invested as much. Overall, I feel the LP system is fair. It rewards super fans who dedicate themselves to every away game.. I have zero problem with that. Tier 2 bands could be improved though IMHO. A Tier 2A / Tier 2B? (cut-offs will always be pi**ed off though eh).

It's the price of success I guess (a rising tide.. and all that). It's not too hard to see that soon we could have a situation where tier 2 becomes a literal handful of tickets. Think someone said the other day, there are now approximately +3000 fans with +300 points.:oops:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
although I vaguely recall there is a threshold, if you don't attend a certain number of games a season, your ST can be withdrawn ??
It's club discretion, I think.

Which I'd take it as meaning that your personal usage of the ticket indicated you hadn't bought it with the intention of using it for most games.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
It feels like an issue with the current approach is that there's no science behind tier 2, if it's 25% of season ticket holders it's always going to be about 4000 people, which is bigger than any away allocation. So if you're a STH who does a few aways but not all, there's very little incentive to get into Tier 2 as it doesn't really get you anything other than a lottery ticket.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good thread. Re; points raised by S.T.U cgull / post #224. (I currently thought I was tier 1 but Luton told me otherwise).
Tier 1 is different each game based on the allocation.

So, based on this week's sales tiers, we can say that approximately...

1,150 fans were on 381+ points
3,000 fans were on 302+ points
6,000 fans were on 246+ points
12,000 fans were on 219+ points

...before Stoke's points were added on.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It feels like an issue with the current approach is that there's no science behind tier 2, if it's 25% of season ticket holders it's always going to be about 4000 people, which is bigger than any away allocation. So if you're a STH who does a few aways but not all, there's very little incentive to get into Tier 2 as it doesn't really get you anything other than a lottery ticket.

Tier 2 means you have a chance of a ticket to every game. It's well worth having.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
I'm not sure I agree with that Logic.

People with 246 points will have had to have travelled to a number of away games (minimum 3) in the last season and a half.
They are likely to be fans that travel to local games when they can.

Sure maybe only 50% of those will go.

Regardless of the "just missed out" scenarios, the reality is that the 50 on 380 LP are competing with 4000 others for the available tickets.
Something i considered when composing that post was the fact that 150 of those in the first tier, on the very highest points, did not take up the chance to buy. That is over 10% of the people who must be considered the most avid and dedicated fans.
So what i am trying to say, perhaps badly, is that although theoretically some 4000 fans were able to buy the number actually trying would have been a lot less and would have been skewed towards the upper end of the points echelon. Though i fully appreciate that it is not much consolation for someone who did not get a ticket who badly wanted to go.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Tier 2 means you have a chance of a ticket to every game. It's well worth having.

Agreed. Tier 2 would (or could) have got you tickets for every away game bar Luton so far this season including Ajax. It will probably be enough for our next European adventure and It will almost certainly get you to Dublin should we get there.

Points make prizes this year more than ever.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you are looking to get a Spurs ticket in Tier 3, I'd do this to maximise chances of getting one/some...

1. Select block 117
2. Select the "Best Available" tab
3. Select the number of tickets you want
4. Click "BUY" as quickly as possible

If you try to manually select seats, particularly if you are trying to buy for a group of 2 or more, you run the risk of someone being quicker than you and missing out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Something i considered when composing that post was the fact that 150 of those in the first tier, on the very highest points, did not take up the chance to buy. That is over 10% of the people who must be considered the most avid and dedicated fans.
So what i am trying to say, perhaps badly, is that although theoretically some 4000 fans were able to buy the number actually trying would have been a lot less and would have been skewed towards the upper end of the points echelon. Though i fully appreciate that it is not much consolation for someone who did not get a ticket who badly wanted to go.
I've not recorded numbers, but my guesstimate of top tier non-take-up of attractive fixtures is c15%. There will always be people who can't attend for a multitude of life and logistical reasons.

EliasTaproot

Oct 31, 2022
I was out of the country the last 8 years and got a season ticket for this season now I'm home. Can someone explain this halving points thing? So I'm currently at 100 after Stoke, will likely be close to 200 by the end of the season if I keep up the same rate.

If I end the season on 200 say just to make it a round number, I'll be demoted down to 100 next season? So we're looking at 2 seasons before I get a look in at tier 3 and Thursday sales instead of Friday, and then at the end of season 2 I'll be demoted back to tier 4 again as those 300 will halve to 150?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was out of the country the last 8 years and got a season ticket for this season now I'm home. Can someone explain this halving points thing? So I'm currently at 100 after Stoke, will likely be close to 200 by the end of the season if I keep up the same rate.

If I end the season on 200 say just to make it a round number, I'll be demoted down to 100 next season? So we're looking at 2 seasons before I get a look in at tier 3 and Thursday sales instead of Friday, and then at the end of season 2 I'll be demoted back to tier 4 again as those 300 will halve to 150?
This should help, although I think some bits of it are out of date...

If this season is your first season as a STH, you'll be awarded 50 ST points next season, so your starting balance in 2024/25 would be the points accrued this season, halved + 50. So if you reach 200 points this season from attending games other than league home games then, yes, you'll start on 150 (100+50) next season...

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 11.08.10.png

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
STH points aren't issued game by game - they are issued at the beginning of each season based on how many consecutive seasons you've been a STH.

So, in short, it makes no difference to your loyalty points whether you go to 0, 1, 10 or all 19 league games.
Thats an interesting one. This works for me as I can't go to all home games. But in reality you really should only get the points if you turn up, it's the same difference as buying an away ticket and not turning up right?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Read the doc that‘s been posted - all clear in that

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013

What i mean is, the difference between being 4000 in that tier and 5800th is non existent, so there's not much of an incentive unless you want to be T1, in which case you'll need to do a vast majority of games

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What i mean is, the difference between being 4000 in that tier and 5800th is non existent, so there's not much of an incentive unless you want to be T1, in which case you'll need to do a vast majority of games
Maybe we have some crossed wires...

What I was trying to say is that there is a big difference between being Tier 2 and Tier 3 (check out the current Spurs sale to see that), so Tier 2 is well worth securing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports