Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luke McCormick

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think his crime is really comparable to that of Lee Hughes.

Particularly as he showed remorse at such an early stage, as opposed to hot footing it from the scene of the crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGIlUUsh0cU

Here's the thing though, right. I've dealt with more drink drivers than I can remember. Ones who do it all the time, ones who probably took a gamble for the only time, ones who didn't even consider they'd be over.

While I can never in a million YEARS condone someone legging it, believe it or not I can understand why they do. It s split second fight or flight reaction isn't it: one minute everything's fine, and within a second your whole life - and potentially someone else's- is upside down. Most of us, most of us would stay, realising our responsibilities. But equally I can see why someone sitting in their car, faced with utter carnage, would panic, have an absolute mind-melt, and do one. It's not like a pre meditated assault, where you go out with an iron bar intending to smack someone. It's a (chronically) wrong single decision that someone has made to drive, and one that will then impact on the rest of our lives. A single (selfish) decision. Yes, we're all responsible for every decision, but we do make wrong ones. We're human, and frail.

Please don't think I'm saying it's in any way acceptable to run: Hughes was a coward and quite probably trying to avoid a breath test too. I'm only saying that in some cases I do find myself able to grasp WHY people run. Hopefully justice comes to them all in the end.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Any one who is a parent on here should think about the utter repulsion 'some parents' might feel on opening a paper or seeing a TV clip showing the single person responsible for shattering their lives beyond comprehension forever, now living what can only be described as a lavish, and privileged lifestyle.

There are a great many people in senior management positions that have been responsible (by their actions or inactions) for numerous deaths. Union Carbide and Townsend Thoreson springs to mind. I don't recall any of these even being brought to trial, let alone sent to prison.

Luke McCormick, just to put a few posters straight on here, was not sent to Prison for Drink Driving, he was sent to Prison for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving, two completely different charges.

Although the former was the cause of the latter, in all probability.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Luke McCormick, just to put a few posters straight on here, was not sent to Prison for Drink Driving, he was sent to Prison for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving, two completely different charges.

Although the former was the cause of the latter, in all probability.

There is no such offence of causing death by drink driving. It's death by dangerous driving or death by carless or inconsiderate driving if you're drunk. Death by dangerous is MORE serious.

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
No it isn't, being a Footballer is a highly paid job that carries with it responsibilities, the hopes and dreams of the fans who pay good money to watch these footballers ply their trade with children in tow who not only look up to these people they "hero worship" them, apart from sport I can think of no other profession where the "customers" will gladly walk around wearing the uniform of the organisation they chose to spend their money at even having the name of a preferred employee on the back.

The man decided he was above the law and killed 4 people in the process, any club hiring him should hang their head in shame.
Spot On.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Can't believe how quick time flies, whilst he has been inside. I don't see the problem with him doing a job, he loves doing. But he will get serious abuse firing his way next season, if he does join Swindon or any other club for that matter.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
He has done his time and should be free to continue his life as he sees fit. Everyone on this board must be right angels who have never done anything wrong. I think 99% of the people on the board will agree the prison sentence was a joke, sentenced to 7 years and out in 3 1/2 years.

What he did that day will haunt him for the rest of his life (I hope).

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
There are a great many people in senior management positions that have been responsible (by their actions or inactions) for numerous deaths. Union Carbide and Townsend Thoreson springs to mind. I don't recall any of these even being brought to trial, let alone sent to prison.

What on earth has that got to do with anything? The senior management, although aware of the situations at those respective companies, weren't the people that "pulled the trigger" so to speak. Culpable Manslaughter is a totally different kettle of fish, by no means any more excusable I grant you.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Quotes for the victim's Mother Amanda Peak:

"Swindon might be a family club, but now they’re hiring a man who has torn my family apart.

“One of McCormick’s main points in his plea was that he will never play football again - that was obviously completely wrong.

“My sons loved playing football and played every day. My husband can’t even kick a ball now either - he struggles to walk."

"McCormick’s been playing since January. He was meant to be on day-release doing things to put good back into the community to repay for what he has taken from us. But he is off playing football.

“It is nice to know that his life can continue where it left off and ours is stuck in a time warp.

“I have no faith in the justice system. I lost any I had when he got the sentence he did and now it is just a joke. I think Swindon should really look at the person behind the football. It doesn’t matter if he’s a good player or not. He should never be allowed to play football again.”

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
No, no it doesn't. The only difference between football and any other job is that there are spectators who are effectively stakeholders. Other than that, football is subject to the same legislation and employment laws as any other profession.

You can't pick and choose which jobs convicted criminals are allowed to do simply because they are deemed to be more fun than others. That would be illegal.

McCormick was utterly wrong. We all know that. But he can only serve the sentence given to him, whether that is appropriate or not in your eyes. Beyond that, his life is his to do as he wishes. I doubt very much he'll ever forget - or be allowed to forget- what happened. But equally, I bet that amongst the people shouting "murderer" at the next game he plays, will be the odd convicted drink driver, who thinks he has the right to judge when in fact it was only by the grace of God that he wasn't in the same position.

Goes against the grain to agree with a copper lol but this 100%

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Being a goalie so constantly close to the fans, he's going to face some stick.

At least Lee Hughes & Marlon King could escape towards the middle and amidst other players.

The poor family will never escape their sentence of (avoidable and criminally caused) loss.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There seems to be quite a few sanctimonious comments by some people who don't seem to have checked any facts. Firstly, he did not leave the scene as he was arrested by the Police at the scene. He may well have had a drink during the wedding and was initially held for a possible drink driving charge which didn't materialise, presumably because the tests showed he wasn't over the limit. I believe that instead of staying at the hotel, he chose to drive home late at night. He didn't get in the car with the intention of killing those two boys but that is the tragic outcome of his decision.

What nobody knows is what things he will do with his life now he has a second chance. He could make the same mistake again or he could end up devoted his time to childrens charities etc. Look at Tony Adams. Was an alcoholic but then set up the clinic to help others. I am not surprised with the comments from the mother and I don't think any parent would be different, including myself, but that's not how our justice system works.

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
One of the things that get right up peoples conks is that when your average Joe gets out of prison after serving a stretch trying to get any job when you have to declare that you have a criminal record is really difficult and this is one of the prices you have to pay because of your actions.Here it seems that when he released next month he is just going to pick up his life where he left off.Im sure he will still be monitored by the probation service so what they should do is make him report to them every Saturday at 3pm this would encourage him to find other work that may not be so public.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot understand why people are saying that after serving the sentence imposed upon he should be restricted from doing the job he is trained for and has no connection with the crime he committed. If he was convicted of a sex offence and wanted to return to teaching or similar it is understandable but not a pro footballer. If he was a plumber would these people not want him to return to his trade of plumbing and prefetr that he lived off of the state..

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
I cannot understand why people are saying that after serving the sentence imposed upon he should be restricted from doing the job he is trained for and has no connection with the crime he committed. If he was convicted of a sex offence and wanted to return to teaching or similar it is understandable but not a pro footballer. If he was a plumber would these people not want him to return to his trade of plumbing and prefetr that he lived off of the state..

Being in the public eye, seen to be carrying on with his life after killing 2 little kids unnecessarily who's parents are the one's serving a life sentence, if he was a plumber and turned up at your house to fix your ballcock you would no nothing of his past.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
On this one, I'm on the side of those who consider it the worst stupid mistake of his life, with catastrophic consequences (many get away with it) - but I think he should be allowed to get on with it now, whether that is playing football or whatever else. This is never going to go away, it has totally ruined several lives already, but however tragic the outcome it is not the same as a premeditated murder or other violent crime. The effect of the loss on the family may not be so different, but the punishment on the guilty man should clearly be less than for, say, a child abductor/murderer.

Would I feel differently if it was my family? Probably. But in one sense, that is exactly why this is a decision that should not be left to the family, but made on legal precedent and the circumstances specific to the case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here