Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luis Enrique...

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Some of you generally think Alan Curb is better than Luis Enrique :facepalm: Jesus f'ing Christ, just as bad as Darren ferguson IMO.

So how is Enrique a better manager than Curbs?
Experience ? No
Achievements Not really
Speaks Spanish OH YES! let's sign him up!
Not against us having him but curbs should be a serious contender.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Dont get this curbs thing. Not managed a club for 5 years, any achievements are historic. On that basis big ron must be in with a shout. Young forward thinking manager for me.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
So how is Enrique a better manager than Curbs?
Experience ? No
Achievements Not really
Speaks Spanish OH YES! let's sign him up!
Not against us having him but curbs should be a serious contender.

Different style of play as to what the majority of our squad are used too, not to mention a different philosophy to football.

Also, he has been out of management for too long - not had a job since West Ham FIVE years ago, football has changed massively since then. The last time we hired a young manager, their first full season wasnt bad I recall, it just finished in a load of......ahem.........shit.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Different style of play as to what the majority of our squad are used too, not to mention a different philosophy to football.

Also, he has been out of management for too long - not had a job since West Ham FIVE years ago, football has changed massively since then. The last time we hired a young manager, their first full season wasnt bad I recall, it just finished in a load of......ahem.........shit.

What's changed so much, football is football. As Shakley said, it's a very simple game over complicated by people who think they are clever...It's all about players, get the right players in the right formation and you are laughing. We already have two wingers who should scare the shit out of defences, next man might just play them and give Lualua and Buckley a new lease of life. Don't need a spanish speaking manager for that. I've already said a midfield four of Lualua-Crofts(back to form)-JFC- Buckley doesn't look to shabby to me.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
What's changed so much, football is football. As Shakley said, it's a very simple game over complicated by people who think they are clever...It's all about players, get the right players in the right formation and you are laughing. We already have two wingers who should scare the shit out of defences, next man might just play them and give Lualua and Buckley a new lease of life. Don't need a spanish speaking manager for that. I've already said a midfield four of Lualua-Crofts(back to form)-JFC- Buckley doesn't look to shabby to me.

Wouldn't you need to ask why he hasn't managed for five years. I'm not saying he would be a bad choice if he was still motivated (he would be preferable to a lot of people who are on the bookies lists). However, why would you quit being a manager for five years and then decide to go back into it? I can't believe he has been waiting for the perfect job for that long.

Obviously, if Bloom interviews him and is happy he is still motivated to do a job, I would be happy with that and there is no doubting he did an amazing job at Charlton.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Rightly or wrongly, it is generally perceived by chairmen recruiting managers that if a manager hasn't been in charge of a club for a few years then they are out of touch with developments in the game. It's probably not all that much different there to any other industry, to be honest. If you have a gaping hole of a time period to when your last job was on your CV, prospective employers are likely to ask questions. Recent managerial appointments where a manager has come back to management after several years are hardly a ringing endorsement, witness Kenny Dalglish and Kevin Keegan.

For that reason, I don't think Alan Curbishley would even be registering on Tony Bloom's radar. He seems to be relatively comfortable earning his living from punditry for various networks and perhaps doesn't have that much hunger to return to the dugout. I'd imagine Bloom would be targeting a younger, more ambitious manager.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
We have to continue playing a passing, possession game and retain our identity - it really is the best way for the long term to set up a system where we continually play a particular way, from youth team through to first team. That, in my mind, rules Curbishley out. Thankfully in a few interviews Bloom has also expressed the sentiment of continuing the passing, possession game.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

No Bridcutt then

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Curbishley is not exactly synonymous with our style of play is he! If we get someone in who wants to play a different way it will put us back several years worth of playter development. Think of all the youth and development squad signings and training designed to get them playing this way, not to mention the first team!
It would be be big big mistake to get a manager who likes his team to play in a vastly different style in.

We've also setup the pitch at the Amex for our style of play. I think the club are committed to a new manager playing in a style similar to Poyet so it will be interesting to see who we choose.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Why's that then??? You don't think a man who kept Charlton in the prem for years, after building up an academy with them and playing over 100 games for the Albion would be granted an interview..I think it is you who are clueless. Or do you think you are being amusing???...Because your not,,,so come on why would Curbs be such a terrible choice, I would be thrilled to hear just how much you know about his managerial style and the sort of respect and standing he has within the game....Or are you one of the been out of the game to long mob,,,which is a load of old bollocks.

Because you've spent the last couple of years slagging off Poyet and our style of football and are currently advocating every football dinosaur for the job - you are stuck in the era of kick and rush football and your comments reflect this, you wouldn't know good football if it bit you on the arse.

For the record I don't think Curbishley would be that terrible, but it won't happen and we can do better.

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
Would you stay here after all that has happened?

Not his choice. He signed a contract. Unless a bid comes in, he's here for the duration.
Interestingly, fellow pros didn't seem to rate him enough to put him the the 'team of the year'?
Am not saying he is poo, not by a long chalk - far and away our best player this year, just an interesting, thought provoking fact.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Not his choice. He signed a contract. Unless a bid comes in, he's here for the duration.
Interestingly, fellow pros didn't seem to rate him enough to put him the the 'team of the year'?
Am not saying he is poo, not by a long chalk - far and away our best player this year, just an interesting, thought provoking fact.

I think Bridcutt being overlooked is more to do with that when players think of the best midfielders they will be thinking of who was the most dangerous. Hence the 4 wingers in the team of the year, playing a midfield like that in reality would see you get slaughtered every match.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Football has changed. Over the last ten years and especially the last 5, curbishly fits into the dinosaur bracket for me. Like the bloke but an Eddie Howe or a Luis Enrique kind of man is what I'd like to see.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Like the idea of Enrique based on him being a top player / contacts and spanish, not sure that is enough. There is nothing on his cv suggesting he is the man to step up to the most competitive league in Europe.

Certainly a risk

Rest of the candidates according to the bookies are mostly shit house though.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Just how long is it since Curbishley has managed a side ?

Me personally its a BIG no thanks.

Football has moved on a lot since his last involvement.

Enrique Yes Please, no different to Solskjaer in my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here