Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lucas Paqueta under investigation over potential betting breaches

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Could be a bit of an FFP issue for West Ham if he’s banned for several years - would presumably need to write off his remaining value in their books (presumably around £30m).
So here’s a nice little can of worms to pry open, in a scenario like this where a player deliberately (assuming he’s found guilty) acted in this way and that had financial repercussions for the club, could the club sue the player?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Non league case of this for ONE yellow card was a ten year ban. Career could be over. All them yellows look intentional but then again most yellow cards probably would!
He’ll have top level representation though, the best money can buy, which I doubt the non league player had.

nsclurker

Apr 3, 2018
IMG_8934.jpeg

Spot on, so it appears?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Picking up planned yellows so his impoverished mates back on Skull Island can cash in then. I dunno how he can so vehemently deny this, the FA would not have charged him if there wasn't a solid audit trail leading to these specific offences.

I guess if he's facing a lifetime ban then he's got nothing to lose in pleading his innocence, but he's going to have a lot of chinny reckons to get past by the looks.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
He will claim , that its an illness an an addiction and he will get off with a £100 fine and one match ban !
A betting addiction with straightforward betting going on and deliberately getting booked to help others fraudulently win bets are two very different things.

Also those found guilty of the regular betting charge have been given pretty hefty punishments. For example an 8 month ban to Toney wasn’t insignificant.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe this will lead to the abolition of betting on red/yellow cards in the same way that 'time of first throw-in' got binned that time that West Ham made it so bleedin' obvious that they ruined the scam for everyone :lol:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Picking up planned yellows so his impoverished mates back on Skull Island can cash in then. I dunno how he can so vehemently deny this, the FA would not have charged him if there wasn't a solid audit trail leading to these specific offences.

I guess if he's facing a lifetime ban then he's got nothing to lose in pleading his innocence, but he's going to have a lot of chinny reckons to get past by the looks.
I would suggest West Ham being quite so vehement in his defence is also interesting in this context.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Very silly boy if guilty. It’s one thing for Toney to place small bets on games he’s not taking part in but conspiracy is quite another thing. To do things on the pitch to deliberately benefit a syndicate is massively serious and will get a life ban, surely. I’d be furious if I was a fan or manager at West Ham. He had a great season and was on his way to a big move too. So unnecessary and self-harming. Mind you, this is all ‘allegedly’ at this stage. It’s just possible he or his family was under pressure of some sort. Not unheard of in South America.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Very silly boy if guilty. It’s one thing for Toney to place small bets on games he’s not taking part in but conspiracy is quite another thing. To do things on the pitch to deliberately benefit a syndicate is massively serious and will get a life ban, surely. I’d be furious if I was a fan or manager at West Ham. He had a great season and was on his way to a big move too. So unnecessary and self-harming. Mind you, this is all ‘allegedly’ at this stage. It’s just possible he or his family was under pressure of some sort. Not unheard of in South America.
It's exactly what Tonali got done for isn't it? And he got about 9 months? And a load of ex pro's coming out saying we should be helping people with addiction and a load of fans suddenly concerned with gambling addiction

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
It's exactly what Tonali got done for isn't it? And he got about 9 months? And a load of ex pro's coming out saying we should be helping people with addiction and a load of fans suddenly concerned with gambling addiction
No, it’s not the same. Tonali bet on his own team to beat Man City! Something he couldn’t do much about on his own. If he’d bet on him getting a yellow card, that’s totally different.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
No, it’s not the same. Tonali bet on his own team to beat Man City! Something he couldn’t do much about on his own. If he’d bet on him getting a yellow card, that’s totally different.
OK. I'm sure I saw a clip of him taking forever to go off a pitch and getting a booking in quite an obvious way

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I suppose the most similar thing I can think of was when the Pakistani cricketers were deliberately bowling no-balls, they got bans of between 5 and 10 years, but also prison sentences of between 6 months and 2 yrs 8 months.

So could get pretty serious for the guy

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This makes me sad. If he's guilty then he's either done it under some serious pressure which makes me feel bad for him or he's done it purposefully meaning that even the best paid players are susceptible to corrupting the game.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
This was posted by an Arsenal fan in March 2023, on the day Paqueta got booked against Villa

and the bets on the Aston Villa yellow were apparently combined with bets on fellow Brazilian Luiz Henrique at Betis also getting booked against Villarreal on the same day - a player who has now left Betis and gone back to Brazil once this came to light

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here