Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Loyalty schemes blasted by football fans

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yes I realise away fans only contribute their £1 booking fee to the club

We can look for ways of rewarding "loyalty" all we want, but the reality of modern football is that it's the £££s that matter. This is the road football has been travelling down and clubs would much rather you spent your money in their club shop that on a trip to an away game. For the club "loyalty points" are only relevant when a big game comes along that is going to be massively over-subscribed, which to the club means a guaranteed sell-out. So they will not be going over-board to devise an ultra-fair way of calculating every aspect of what we deem "loyalty".

Likewise, clubs appreciation of STHs in general (at bigger clubs; I don't feel it's reached us yet) is dropping because the spend per seat is much higher if it's a tourist sat there at the Emirates, because he is far more likely to be spending in the club shop than the Arsenal STH. If the STH buys a shirt a season, that is one shirt per season they have sold for that seat. Whereas, if that seat is sold to a different "tourist" every game, who is making their once in a season trip to The Emirates, then the occupants of that seat throughout the season will spend FAR more on shirts.

Truth is a STH gets into a little routine, which probably includes walking past the programme seller, the club shop and maybe even brings his own sandwich with him. That is a lot less than the day tripper who buys it ALL.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Each fan would have a tracker fitted to their scarf and their phone would collate the data and some computer geek could develop software to track the fan from their registered home address to the away game.

If I twirl my scarf to ring of fire would that help clock up extra miles?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Can't see Loyalty points being required for any league game this season TBH.

Exactly. The only time it may come into play is if we draw Crawley or someone A in the FA cup and they have a limited capacity away end even with the 15%? rule.

Generally these days if you are organised you will get a ticket. And fret not JCLs if we draw Arsenal, Chelsea, City or Utd away you will get a ticket :thumbsup:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What are Palace fans complaining about, buy an away shirt and get more points,and the cost of the shirt will be less than most tickets at PL games. So rather than going to the Emirates buy another shirt, save money get more points.

I would however deducted points from those that leave games early, minus 10 points for each minute from the end of the game.

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004
Can't see Loyalty points being required for any league game this season TBH.

The issue was that since 2013/14 the club started allocating points for away matches attended (20 each and 40 for non London / SE) plus 500 for each ST. It also included points earned in the last season in the Championship order to allow those that went before we were in the Prem to be right up the pecking order. These points were supposed to give priority for away matches. All worked fine for 2 years but now the club is allowing someone that buys stuff in the Club shop to earn the same points as an away match eg going to Stoke would be say £35 for the ticket, plus travel, food, time etc etc. For this you get 40 points - the same as if someone bought a shirt or a few beers. Completely unfair and wrong and TBF one of the only mistakes that CPFC2010 have made re the fans.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The issue was that since 2013/14 the club started allocating points for away matches attended (20 each and 40 for non London / SE) plus 500 for each ST. It also included points earned in the last season in the Championship order to allow those that went before we were in the Prem to be right up the pecking order. These points were supposed to give priority for away matches. All worked fine for 2 years but now the club is allowing someone that buys stuff in the Club shop to earn the same points as an away match eg going to Stoke would be say £35 for the ticket, plus travel, food, time etc etc. For this you get 40 points - the same as if someone bought a shirt or a few beers. Completely unfair and wrong and TBF one of the only mistakes that CPFC2010 have made re the fans.

F*ck off and tell someone who gives a shit eaglejizz, I was talking about Albion games.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Again in the Prem (should that ever happen) I cant see ANY problem getting a ticket for ANY away game so I don't see a problem. The ONLY time is when its a limited capacity away from home in the cup. Maybe, just maybe if there was a cup final as well but if you are a STH you are generally guaranteed one anyway.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Is our loyalty points scheme actually working now?

Might not be an issue now, but could be later in the season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If you're organised, as an Albion fan, who goes to say 3+ away games a season you will pretty much guarantee yourself a ticket for any possible game. And maybe a STH too...

I honestly think way too much is made of loyalty points and shit on forums like this (I appreciate the premiership is / would be different). If you apply / purchase when the tickets go on sale or when your 'points' allow you to apply, you will almost always get your ticket.

I've never once not got a ticket I was after personally speaking. Only one time had major issues (and that was me not applying on time and a mate still sorted me a ticket - West Ham away when we won 1-0), and I don't often go away that often. If we drew Arsenal in the cup this season away from home I wouldn't panic whatsoever about not getting a ticket, even though there will be many others with higher points...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought Palace's club shop was a sainsburys? Are they getting confused with nectar points?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
When they mean loyalty don't they just mean how much of your money you give to the club?

You could live in outer mongolia and go to every match shout yer head off but if you only buy a ticket and a bottle of pop the club won't be interested in that loyalty

Its the £ in your pocket that gets in the tills they judge you on

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

The clubs are simply targeting the loyalty aspect incorrectly.. Buying stuff in the shop should be rewarded with discounts to buy more stuff in the shop. Away tickets or match tickets should be rewarded with discounts onmatches. Ie target them at people who want them..

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
One gets loyalty points from supermarkets and no one complains. Loyalty should be rewarded so if people take the time to go to away matches to support their team then they should get first choice when it comes to buying tickets for big matches. I think it's a good idea that loyalty points should be given when buying club merchandise. Those people who only want to go to the Amex when the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool or Manchester United come down really have no grounds to complain should they not be able to buy tickets.

SDG

May 26, 2014
Supporters at Premier League club Crystal Palace say there is more incentive to buy replica kits than go to away matches.

Loyalty points help fans secure tickets for key fixtures but fans at Spurs, Bournemouth and Southampton are also unhappy with their schemes.

Palace fans accused their club of measuring loyalty in terms of how many burgers or replica kits they have bought rather than whether a supporter has regularly travelled to away games.

On the Eagles Beak website, Crystal Palace fans say they earn more points buying shirts than attending matches.

Source: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/461943/Football-fans-loyalty-schemes-clubs

The Star article is sourced from here: http://theeaglesbeak.com/2015/08/loyalty-points-not-a-fair-system/

Loyalty points isn't the issue, being able to buy loyalty from the club shop and bars is a flawed system, especially when it was being ran in the more expensive areas of the ground last season as a "test".

Parish has never commented on it.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
As many people have already pointed out, the idea that buying a shirt is a display of loyalty that should give the purchaser access to tickets ahead of the fan who attends more games is anathema to most of us. I think the reason we feel that way is because there are two different things going on here:

(1) companies generally operate loyalty schemes to influence potential customers to choose their product over a competitor's or to persuade existing customers to buy more ... ie to stimulate demand
(2) whereas, in the football context these schemes have generally operated as a mechanism to ration tickets in some approximately fair way when demand outstrips supply ... ie to regulate demand

Allowing type (1) expenditure play a role in (2) is in conflict with the fairness principle of the traditional loyalty/membership schemes.

Fans will continue to be unhappy about these new hybrid schemes unless we adjust our ideas of fairness or the clubs modify the schemes.

On the other hand, the arguments over what is or isn't a fair way of quantifying loyalty for the purposes of rationing tickets will continue for as long as Croydon remains a shi*hole.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here