Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Loyal supporters!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Workington Reds ............ has the old Workington club been renamed, or is the link just using the club's nickname (surely Workington can't sustain two professional clubs!!)?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Workington Reds ............ has the old Workington club been renamed, or is the link just using the club's nickname (surely Workington can't sustain two professional clubs!!)?
Nope, it's the very same Workington who enjoyed a long spell in the Football League, until they were finally voted out in the late 1970's l believe.

I trhink l'm right in saying that our very own Kit Napier and Jack Bertolini had spells there too?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Apparently they call themselves Workington Reds to differentiate themselves from Workington Town who are the Rugby League team (and who apparently have a much bigger and better ground).

But no, it's the same old Workington who got voted out in 1977 and replaced by Wimbledon. And yes, Kit Napier did play for them for a while, and of course Bill Shankly managed them for a bit pre-Liverpool.

el punal

I had to work in the Workington area in the late 1970s. They don’t mess around with convoluted descriptions - just a sign with the words ‘The Reds’ and an arrow as to where the ground was situated. :lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Nope, it's the very same Workington who enjoyed a long spell in the Football League, until they were finally voted out in the late 1970's l believe.
Not that long - they only joined in the 1950s!
I trhink l'm right in saying that our very own Kit Napier and Jack Bertolini had spells there too?
Correct. Also Glenn Murray.
Apparently they call themselves Workington Reds to differentiate themselves from Workington Town who are the Rugby League team (and who apparently have a much bigger and better ground).

But no, it's the same old Workington who got voted out in 1977 and replaced by Wimbledon. And yes, Kit Napier did play for them for a while, and of course Bill Shankly managed them for a bit pre-Liverpool.
Thank you both for the information.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
4-4 ? We stood by the chip van at half time. Not sure in hindsight how that helped. Loved that game.
We lost 4-3. Was a proper roller coaster of a game. Danny Cullip was subbed on in the first half and scored pretty much immediately and ran the length of the pitch whirling his shirt over his head despite the inclement weather.

For a loss and a soaking, plus I lost a mobile phone to the weather that night, it’s one of my favourite Withdean memories for some reason.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We lost 4-3. Was a proper roller coaster of a game. Danny Cullip was subbed on in the first half and scored pretty much immediately and ran the length of the pitch whirling his shirt over his head despite the inclement weather.

For a loss and a soaking, plus I lost a mobile phone to the weather that night, it’s one of my favourite Withdean memories for some reason.
It was 3-3 when I left. We heard the groans as we walked back to the car and realized we'd shipped a fourth. Back then, at a mere 41 years old, the weather, swirling rain and torrential wind, didn't seem all that. I've been colder and wetter standing behind the goal at Stoke.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Yes Oldham away has often been wetter. Don't think my bum crack has ever really dried out since the last time I visited. Saw one of the most beautiful and ethereal things I've ever seen as the rain turned stormy on Saturday. I was sitting in the front row behind the opposition goal at the Orient. As soon as the rain blew in my face a large flock of parakeets descended on the ground. Lit by the floodlights, against the black thunderous sky and above the glare of the green pitch they appeared to glow. The whole din of the crowd was instantly switched to gasps. The abusive twat next to me stopped shouting and merely mumbled 'That's beautiful!' They flew around the pitch and stands for at least 20 minutes. Orient also won with a peach of a goal. I have suggested my brother in law moves his new season ticket a few rows further back and out of the rain (and my 9 year old nephew away from the mouthy git sat next to them).

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Not that long - they only joined in the 1950s!
Well, blow me down. For some reason I have always thought they were a founder member of the league?

To the extent that when I first visited Workington in 1987 (I was being picked up from the railway station for a week in the Lakes) I caught the earlier train from Carlisle, so I could traipse out to see their ground. Shouldn't have bothered!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Well, blow me down. For some reason I have always thought they were a founder member of the league?

To the extent that when I first visited Workington in 1987 (I was being picked up from the railway station for a week in the Lakes) I caught the earlier train from Carlisle, so I could traipse out to see their ground. Shouldn't have bothered!

Of course it was where Muzza started his career
Oh - hang on. Maybe it WAS worth the traipse out there after all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here