Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lowest ever points to win L1

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
As well as last year's promoted sides being high in the Champ, where are the 3 that got relegated? How they doing? This is so close at the top because there are so many good teams not too few!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So I'm intrigued...if several teams are taking points off each other resulting in a lower winning total, does that make it a worse league than when two teams absolutely spank everyone else and run away with it?

How do you judge that, exactly?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
So I'm intrigued...if several teams are taking points off each other resulting in a lower winning total, does that make it a worse league than when two teams absolutely spank everyone else and run away with it?

Mainly based on the quality of sides I have seen so far and the fact that a lot of the dross are still capable of winning games

Charlton last night proved my thoughts

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Good question and I don't think you can in isolation. Maybe a cup can give you a hint. If you have a team running away with a division, but then get beaten easily by one in the division above, then possibly the opposition is weaker. Not infallable obviously - a one-off game can go anyway, and show little about long-term form.

It's a common theme in any scientific theories about enclosed "systems" (i.e. a division) - anything about them is only relative within the system, until you interact with another one, or a wider perspective.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The last few seasons seem to pan out that 90 plus points wins you the league 80-90 can get you automatic and 71-80 gets you a play off place. Long way to go and I hope Gus gets his signings to assist in mission for points.

2004-05 Luton 98 Hull 86
Last play-off place Hartlepool 71

2005-06 Southend 82 Colchester 79
Last play-off place Swansea 71

2006-07 Scunthorpe 91 Bristol City 85
Last play-off place Oldham 75

2007-08 Swansea 92 Nottingham Forest 82
Last play-off place Southend 76 (Albion 7th on 69)

2008-09 Leicester 96 Peterborough 89
Last play-off place Scunthorpe 76

2009-10 Norwich 95 Leeds 86
Last play-off place Huddersfield 80

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here